RA to sack bigot Falou over Social Media Posts

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
if the ARU sack him for his personal opinion then he will take them to the cleaners or better yet force the ARU to reinstate his contract, we arent communist China just yet are we? or 1930s Germany with left wing Gestapo tactics?
Another thing here is Folau isn't the only Christian in the Wallabies and if they sack him does anyone think there could be a revolt from other Polynesian Aussie players as a few are strong Christians.

People are entitled to their opinions but a breach of contract is pretty straightforward isn't it? If you don't like the code of conduct set by your employer go find another job or STFU.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Folau has form so it's not like he doesn't know the ARU don't want him posting this crap.

I mean FFS how hard is it to just not post anti gay stuff on social media? It's not like anyone is stopping him from going to hire church with like minded fools.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Folau has form so it's not like he doesn't know the ARU don't want him posting this crap.

I mean FFS how hard is it to just not post anti gay stuff on social media? It's not like anyone is stopping him from going to hire church with like minded fools.
I wonder if an athlete posted this post whether they would be pulled up for being Christianphobic. I doubt it.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
I wonder if an athlete posted this post whether they would be pulled up for being Christianphobic. I doubt it.

Judging from the responses to his posts from other Rugby players and athletes from other sports I doubt it, but it all depends on the context and that's what people who defend him miss the point on. Outrage is different to hate.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Judging from the responses to his posts from other Rugby players and athletes from other sports I doubt it, but it all depends on the context and that's what people who defend him miss the point on. Outrage is different to hate.
Can I throw up another can if worms. Could he join Twiggy Forrests rugby comp?

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Can I throw up another can if worms. Could he join Twiggy Forrests rugby comp?

That might be one for the West Australian's on here. The ARU still need to provide approval for the GGR (if it hasn't already been given) and that might block it. Think it would be likely he ends up in France or Japan and options there are limited because of his posts, sponsors won't flock to a club that signs him and in Japan going against an employer is the worst thing you can do basically.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That might be one for the West Australian's on here. The ARU still need to provide approval for the GGR (if it hasn't already been given) and that might block it. Think it would be likely he ends up in France or Japan and options there are limited because of his posts, sponsors won't flock to a club that signs him and in Japan going against an employer is the worst thing you can do basically.
What odds Twiggy tocstary a rebel comp with Folau playing in it?

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
What odds Twiggy tocstary a rebel comp with Folau playing in it?

Long at this stage you would think. GGR doesn't start until next year, while Falou could go to France or Japan to play by September and most likely get more money in the process. Twiggy would want to keep the current sponsors (as well as possible future sponsors that would be looking at getting involved with the competition). Twiggy isn't bankrolling the GGR on his own, so he has to play it smart while he set the competition up.

chibimatty

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2010
Western Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WACA, Western Force, Arsenal, Glory
I'd say he's got too much baggage and has become too much of a laughing stock. Remember, he's also been shitbagging Catholics too, so he's just too volatile, too much of a liability; especially considering this is a fledgling competition trying to establish itself. That said, one does wonder if one of the Polynesian/Melanesian franchises in Global Rapid Rugby who have a similar cultural-religious background, might be more sympathetic to him and pick him up. This could become a possibility if Richard Fale, also from a similar heritage with similar views, becomes one of the owners of a possible Tongan/Samoan/Hawaiian Polynesian franchise in GRR.

I actually think though, that he's really not interested in playing, I think his religion, and a career as a preacher, is more important to him now.

Unless of course, this was just a "clever' way to break his contract and go somewhere else.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
I'd say he's got too much baggage and has become too much of a laughing stock. Remember, he's also been shitbagging Catholics too, so he's just too volatile, too much of a liability; especially considering this is a fledgling competition trying to establish itself. That said, one does wonder if one of the Polynesian/Melanesian franchises in Global Rapid Rugby who have a similar cultural-religious background, might be more sympathetic to him and pick him up. This could become a possibility if Richard Fale, also from a similar heritage with similar views, becomes one of the owners of a possible Tongan/Samoan/Hawaiian Polynesian franchise in GRR.

Would make sense if he joined a possible Fale led team. Either way I can't see him joining GRR right off the bat, maybe if they get a Western Sydney team...

I actually think though, that he's really not interested in playing, I think his religion, and a career as a preacher, is more important to him now.

Unless of course, this was just a "clever' way to break his contract and go somewhere else.

This is the part I don't get, if he wasn't interested in playing anymore or had somewhere else to go why sign the new contract?

chibimatty

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2010
Western Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WACA, Western Force, Arsenal, Glory
This is the part I don't get, if he wasn't interested in playing anymore or had somewhere else to go why sign the new contract?
I can't say I get it either, but then again, he is religious. He could have just "seen the light" or "had a revelation" so to speak, so signing the contract was done without divine foresight. I could see why he'd do it if he decided he wasn't interested in playing anymore. Not so much, if had somewhere else to go. It was probably neither to be honest, I think to him it's either "love of God" or "love of rugby" and he went with the former.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I can't say I get it either, but then again, he is religious. He could have just "seen the light" or "had a revelation" so to speak, so signing the contract was done without divine foresight. I could see why he'd do it if he decided he wasn't interested in playing anymore. Not so much, if had somewhere else to go. It was probably neither to be honest, I think to him it's either "love of God" or "love of rugby" and he went with the former.
I don't subscribe to this theory but I heard someone suggest that it's no coincidence this has happened straight after he broke the super rugby try scoring record.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Think you can rule out France.... the owner of the most logical team (Toulon) Mourad Boudjellal, has been quoted in l'equipe saying the following about Falou

The guy is an idiot, he has to go. Either that or you need to buy him a brain as well. There's still the KKK for him and even there he'll see what it's like to be on the other side (of bigotry).

If Boudjellal is saying this, the other Top 14 clubs won't be touching him. Also Japan's captain called him out so I don't think he'll get much interest there either

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Think you can rule out France.... the owner of the most logical team (Toulon) Mourad Boudjellal, has been quoted in l'equipe saying the following about Falou

If Boudjellal is saying this, the other Top 14 clubs won't be touching him. Also Japan's captain called him out so I don't think he'll get much interest there either
Maybe Izzy is more interested in being on the preaching circuit. Can tell you there would be a lot of Churches that would be after him.

I know I'm on a haven't here but personally if I was getting a sports star to speak at our Church I would choose Henry Olonga to here his story about how his faith lead him to take action that ended his international cricket career and risked his life.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
RA is on dangerous ground as it is allowing itself to be influenced by one of the social pressure groups which operate in a politically correct vacuum. It is not about agreeing with Falou but his right to an opinion.

As Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote, 'I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it'.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I hate political correctness but probably better if our players aren't saying that gays are going to hell for their sins. Especially when the CEO of the principal sponsor of RA is, you know, gay.

The bizarre thing about religious people is that they think that being a member of a cult somehow validates their opinions. 'I believe in god and my book he says it's a sin therefore I say it's a sin and it's OK'. *en what? As an atheist, whatever opinion I have on homosexuality or anything else is on me and so it should be.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Also the main reason people have jumped up and down about one of the 8 things Folau said and not so much the other 7 is that he is equating things that are not equal in any way shape or form. You don't choose to be gay any more than you choose to be Tongan.

If you want to go full Ten Commandments and say that lying, stealing, adultery etc. are sins then knock yourself out but if you lump homosexuals in the same boat people are going to get narky.

Back