Rabbitohs

Remove this Banner Ad

Ms.Storm

Premiership Player
Dec 29, 2000
The GraveYard Olympic Park.Melb.
Other Teams
Melb. Storm
I hear bits and pieces of news here re r/league in Sydney and more so if I buy the Sydney papers, but was really distressed to hear the last couple of days that the Rabbitohs were chasing Brad Watts and Danny Williams and that they were on the Rabbitohs hit list......I would be really angry if he (Brad Watts) left the Storm...as he is a really promising young player.

Storm have already lost Ben Roarty to the Panthers next year, because he could not get a promised starting line up, so to lose more players is going to leave a deep whole in our depth.

Can anyone in Sydney tell me more?

I know Muir has been named Rabbitohs captain for next year...and what other players have they targetted....(better keep away from Storm I say!!:mad:

Thanks

They are looking at Craig Gowers from the Panthers as well.

Personally, I think the inclusion of Souths back into the NRL is the biggest mistake the NRL have made yet. How can they let a team who has NO support or success over the last 30 years back in. The reason they kicked them out is because they were useless. Even their Junior club turned their back on them.

Six other teams who were in a much stronger position than Souths had to merge because of the criteria set by the NRL and I would not be surprised if the likes of St. George and Manly sued the crappers out of the NRL for letting Souths back in when they made the comitment to the 14 team competition.

Souths will get good support for the first year, but will then return to the good old days when they would be happy if 4000 people turned up to watch.

And now it looks like Norths who were worse than Souths are also going to stay afloat. The whole thing is crazy....

The NRL is a JOKE!

Nothing is finalised yet...

Footy is a passionate sport, that's why!!
They will sort it out in good time.
Anyway, stick to afl if you don't like it/!! *which also has many problems* especially in for foreseeable future.,

I read that Brad Watts was most surprised to see himself as a certain starter for the Rabbitoh's.

He is a promising player, but if the Storm are interested in keeping him, they better let him see some more first grade action.

CJH..

Its really confusing isn't it?
I think what's happened because he's not getting much of a go in first division, he may have signed a letter of intent to play with the Rabbitohs,

Gee I hope not, as he's such a promising player.

Unfortunately not everyone can get a game!!

Re: Nothing is finalised yet...

Originally posted by Ms.Storm
Footy is a passionate sport, that's why!!
They will sort it out in good time.
Anyway, stick to afl if you don't like it/!! *which also has many problems* especially in for foreseeable future.,

Ms. Storm,

I think that sort of mentality is what is keeping the fans away from games. The NRL needs to start to think about the fans who actually go to the games as they create the atmosphere and generate income for the clubs, not the people at home watching it on FOX.

How many more people do we have to lose to rugby union and AFL before they will take notice?

The NRL is going to continue to lose clubs if it continues with its current line of thinking. Why don't they let Manly go it alone, as there is currently NO team in northern sydney, and let Norths move to the Central Coast? Why have a 15 team comp, which means a bye every round, when there is an opportunity to have 16? IT'S CRAZY THINKING.

Also, players need to realise that they are sending clubs broke with the exobatent amounts they are asking. It's not just the ARL clubs either. Clubs like Cronulla, Melbourne, Penrith and New Zealand would all be dead if it wasn't for the $2 million handout from news limited every year. News Limited is losing money every year in rugby league and the administration MUST realise that News Ltd is a business and will pull out if they continue to lose so much money.

It's time to do the right thing by the fans and keep rugby league alive....

Re: Re: Nothing is finalised yet...

Originally posted by Briedis

It's not just the ARL clubs either. Clubs like Cronulla, Melbourne, Penrith and New Zealand would all be dead if it wasn't for the $2 million handout from news limited every year.

I read that News Ltd will withdraw it's funding for the North Queensland Cowboys at the end of this season. They will have to sink or swin on their own accord.

I also read a rumour that the Melbourne Storm may look at relocating to Queensland.

I also read that the Storm looked at playing a game in Hong Kong but was knocked back by the NRL.

I would not be surprised if the Storm management were looking at the proverbial wall and reading the writing on it!

Why on earth would the Storm want to move to QLD? That would be a strange move indeed! I hope you're wrong on that one. Anyway, the Broncos would do what they did to Sth QLD and the Gold Coast and put them out of the league so they can have the area all to themselves.

I think the fact that since Super League two clubs have gone bust in such a strong rugby league state shows how much the News Ltd experiment is hurting rugby league. From what you say it could mean at least two more.... And probably a couple of teams from Sydney as well.

News Ltd must end their association with league ASAP. It will mean that clubs and players will have to re-adjust to smaller incomes, but in the long run it will benefit the game. I'm a Manly supporter and I can not see how Brett Kimorley can get paid 500,000 a year. He can't tackle or kick and he throws one intercept pass for the opposition on average per game. I can't believe we let Orford go....

The next five years will make or break league, I seriously doubt that the Storm will exist and probably the Warriors will go too. Rugby League expansion has failed in Perth, Adelaide, QLD (except for the Broncos) and is currently failing in Melbourne and New Zealand. The future is bleak....all I hope is that I can continue to go down to Brookie Oval and support the Sea Eagles, my LOCAL team....

Originally posted by Briedis
Why on earth would the Storm want to move to QLD? That would be a strange move indeed! I hope you're wrong on that one. Anyway, the Broncos would do what they did to Sth QLD and the Gold Coast and put them out of the league so they can have the area all to themselves.

I think the fact that since Super League two clubs have gone bust in such a strong rugby league state shows how much the News Ltd experiment is hurting rugby league. From what you say it could mean at least two more.... And probably a couple of teams from Sydney as well.

News Ltd must end their association with league ASAP. It will mean that clubs and players will have to re-adjust to smaller incomes, but in the long run it will benefit the game. I'm a Manly supporter and I can not see how Brett Kimorley can get paid 500,000 a year. He can't tackle or kick and he throws one intercept pass for the opposition on average per game. I can't believe we let Orford go....

I think the QLD thing was a rumour put out by the jealous Sydney press! :p

Ironic about Kimmorley and Orford!

Kimmorley was a star with us, marching up to a premiership. Once he left the protection of Kearns and Howe, he really struggled.

Orford however, has really blossomed this year!

Oddly enough, there is a chance that Kimmorley will be back next year!

Originally posted by CJH

I think the QLD thing was a rumour put out by the jealous Sydney press! :p

Ironic about Kimmorley and Orford!

Kimmorley was a star with us, marching up to a premiership. Once he left the protection of Kearns and Howe, he really struggled.

Orford however, has really blossomed this year!

Oddly enough, there is a chance that Kimmorley will be back next year!

Good point about Kimmorley, CJH. A halfback is only as good as his forwards let him be. If they are going forward, it is so much easier for the half to find options and that is why Kimmorley has stuggled to make as big an impact at the Eagles, because he hasn't had a strong forward pack for him to follow.

Hopefully Melbourne won't disappear off the NRL scene.

I am not sure you have it all right Breidis....well I hope so anyway.
I don't think News Ltd. will end its association with the NRL at all, they have invested in it too much to let it go, besides the money they get/will get from pay-tv should surely balance the ledger....am I right on this??

Storm have been guaranteed their future by the NRL and Storm management have guaranteed the supporters (backed by the Nrl) THAT they will be staying in Melb....so far so good.

On that side of things, Storm are doing fairly well crowd-wise when you compare the Swans and Bears/Lions in their formative years...actually doubling the crowds that those afl teams had...but of course the afl was/is dipping heaps of cash into Sydney and Brisbane to help things along.

The NRL needs to back the Storm more here in Melb. re more exposure of the game.......its really hard here in Melb. because the media and press are so bias against rugby of any sort, but I think people are slowly starting to accept other footy codes thanks to the Wallabies, SoccerRoos and of course the Storm...

I just love the fact that I discovered rugby league and rugby union, because in my early years (even though bought up on soccer) I could not see past my nose for afl...and when I did, I was really encaptured by the two rugby codes.

Melbourne, as a city is a little slow in embracing rugby, even though many have attended the Tests, they still love to bag the code.....not realising we really should embrace all sport and support it.

Anyway, they are just my thoughts on it...and I know I do get a little passionate on the subject ;)

Cheers everyone.

Ms Storm

There is an old saying business that one should not throw good money after bad money.

After tipping in over 500 MILLION DOLLARS (even if you say it quickly, it still boggles the mind) into Rugby League since 1996, I think News Limited has had a gutfull of it.

Pay TV or no Pay TV News Liimited is looking at getting out of the game. Their attempts to take over an old tribal, suburban competition and turn into 'content' for Pay TV subscribers has neen a dismal and incredibly expensive failure.

Like any sensible businessman, Lachlan Murdoch has looked at the flood of red ink and can't see any way out, the game lives beyond its means and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Time to pull the plug ...

cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Bloodstained Angel
Ms Storm

There is an old saying business that one should not throw good money after bad money.

After tipping in over 500 MILLION DOLLARS (even if you say it quickly, it still boggles the mind) into Rugby League since 1996, I think News Limited has had a gutfull of it.

Pay TV or no Pay TV News Liimited is looking at getting out of the game. Their attempts to take over an old tribal, suburban competition and turn into 'content' for Pay TV subscribers has neen a dismal and incredibly expensive failure.

Like any sensible businessman, Lachlan Murdoch has looked at the flood of red ink and can't see any way out, the game lives beyond its means and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Time to pull the plug ...

cheers

Finally agree with you on something BSA! :D

Originally posted by Bloodstained Angel
no worries mate

going to Canberra for Round 22 ?

Nah mate...my idiot sister has decided to get married in the middle of footy season, so I have to go to Perth for the weekend....

DOH!

Swans are looking good at the moment....

So both BSA AND Breidis....

Want rugby league to die.....admit it!!! (typical of some afl and union supporters )

;)

Okay BSA why haven't News pulled out now or for next year then, why wait any longer!!

Seeing you have given this prediction for the demise of r/l, has it got a future in your eyes.?
Don't forget afl is a suburban competition too!!

Cheers

Re: So both BSA AND Breidis....

Originally posted by Ms.Storm
Want rugby league to die.....admit it!!! (typical of some afl and union supporters )

;)

Okay BSA why haven't News pulled out now or for next year then, why wait any longer!!

Seeing you have given this prediction for the demise of r/l, has it got a future in your eyes.?
Don't forget afl is a suburban competition too!!

Cheers

Ms. Storm, you are jumping to thje wrong conclusion there. I have never said I want RL to die. All I have said is that it will die if they continue to overlook what the average game-goer wants.

Merging clubs, having teams play half their home games here, half somewhere else, killing off tems etc means that people can not commit to following a RL team due to the unstable nature of the competition.

How long have you been supporting the Storm? I have been going down to Brookvale Oval and watching the Sea Eagles since the mid-70's. I love RL, but I can see how many people it is losing in Sydney now that so many teams have been put into turmoil by News Ltd. All I am saying is that News Ltd is weakening the core support base of RL. And this will have roll-on effects to the Broncos and Storm and other non-Sydney clubs.

Plus the fact that the playing standard of RL is so far below the standard pre-Super League, it shows that the emphasis is now on show, not good RL.

Enjoy watching the Storm while you can....you never know what they might do to your team.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back