FTA-TV Race Across the World/TAR thread

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
The teams that got saved by a non elimination leg in the US used to start with nothing and have to beg locals for cash.
It only took them a few seasons to decidt that this was a really, really bad idea. Having rich westerners begging from people who had nothing... not good. That's why they introduced the Speed Bump instead.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
It also doesn't feel like much of a race - at least not like the USA version does
The editing is awful. Way too much stuff being repeated after an ad break, way too many "talking head" shots. Cut the crap, and cull it back to 42-42min, like the US version, and it would be watchable.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
The editing is awful. Way too much stuff being repeated after an ad break, way too many "talking head" shots. Cut the crap, and cull it back to 42-42min, like the US version, and it would be watchable.
Based on a few different posts by DapperJong on a few different tv shows, its clear that Australian tv execs/producers think tv viewers here require more hand-holding and more "talking head" interviews to "develop a connection" than reality formats usually provide in the US.

I'm not sure why they think this, but this is the only reason why I can think of why this is the case

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Based on a few different posts by DapperJong on a few different tv shows, its clear that Australian tv execs/producers think tv viewers here require more hand-holding and more "talking head" interviews to "develop a connection" than reality formats usually provide in the US.

I'm not sure why they think this, but this is the only reason why I can think of why this is the case

Correct. Doesn't mean that the edit can't be good/bad just because of a style though. In the case of race, the edit was rushed and bound by the format they wanted. Im not a fan of the format they wanted. Having said that, not sure I enjoy how fast the American version is. The difference to me comes down to the challenges. They aren't great in the Aus version and there was much less emphasis on getting from one place to another.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows

DapperJong did make that statement, and given his role in producing the show I believe him.

I think the TV execs/producers are completely wrong, and they've turned TAR-A into a boring turgid mess as a result.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
DapperJong did make that statement, and given his role in producing the show I believe him.

I think the TV execs/producers are completely wrong, and they've turned TAR-A into a boring turgid mess as a result.

The company is very new. And they are faking it until they make it. When I was there they hired the guy who invented MKR to be the main man in post. It's not the worst feather to have in your cap but MKR is so badly dated now, and I'm not sure he is full of fresh ways to do things. TAR-A having so little time has made it a huge mess.

And they didn't consider TAR hardcore fans, I don;t think.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
The company is very new. And they are faking it until they make it. When I was there they hired the guy who invented MKR to be the main man in post. It's not the worst feather to have in your cap but MKR is so badly dated now, and I'm not sure he is full of fresh ways to do things. TAR-A having so little time has made it a huge mess.

And they didn't consider TAR hardcore fans, I don;t think.
MKR has a lot to answer for... It ruined the last edition of TAR-A, and it's well on the way to ruining this one too.

Do we want a thread title change?

The slightly amazing race?

The average amazing race?

How about

"Aussie duos competing in meaningless take through Asia"?

Hard no to TAR- you see what they make you do??

Das a quit to eating challenges.

Eating challenges tend to be road blocks with one person eating - so pair up with someone who's stupid enough to do the eating tasks

DapperJong

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
why would they? hardcore fans are never happy with anything, look at star wars, plus they'll watch it anyway

Excellent.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
"Almost" suggests they are close tho.

I dont think they are
The sad thing is that TAR-A was done right the first time. Season 1 was produced by Active TV, the same people who produce the US version. It was brilliant - as good as, or better than, the US version.

Then 7 brought production in-house and turned it into My Kitchen Race (****ing it up completely). Now 10 has done a cheap dumbed down version, which has weak challenges and misses many of the drama/entertaining parts of the race (i.e. gamesmanship and randomness of alternative flight options).

It can be done well.... it just hasn't been (since Series 1).

The sad thing is that TAR-A was done right the first time. Season 1 was produced by Active TV, the same people who produce the US version. It was brilliant - as good as, or better than, the US version.

Then 7 brought production in-house and turned it into My Kitchen Race (****ing it up completely). Now 10 has done a cheap dumbed down version, which has weak challenges and misses many of the drama/entertaining parts of the race (i.e. gamesmanship and randomness of alternative flight options).

It can be done well.... it just hasn't been (since Series 1).

Yep i saw S1 on CHannel 7 was great. But i was OS for S2 for the next one :( Missed it all.

Back