Racecallers

Remove this Banner Ad

Scribe2

Debutant
Jul 8, 2005
Other Teams
Tottenham HotSpur FC
Any one have any likes and dislikes?

Personally, I can't stand Brian Martin. Not only does he never call me a winner, he has a boring voice and owns a boring horse. Greg Miles is fine.

Can't stand Wayne Wilson but like Alan Thomas.

Ian Craig is always a cracker but Ron Dufficy really battles

Like the Adelaide and Perth guys.

The bloke who calls the country trots in NSW is a liability and should be sacked.

Brian Blackmore makes a lot of mistakes and seems like quite a man angry at his lot in life.

Remember the wildman who used to call in Tassie? He used to yell out "SET" and was completely inconherent. We used to go down to the TAB just to listen to him.

Speaking of incoherent, Ron Hawkswell seems to be always slurring. I remember when Channel 31 used to broadcast the country races and Ron filled in at Stawell races. He called a 3200 hurdle race like he was calling a 500 Greyhound sprint.

Any others?

Scribe2 said:

Can't stand Wayne Wilson but like Alan Thomas.

Don't mind Wayne Wilson & Alan Thomas IMHO likes to hear his own voice. Craps on & on before & after a race

The bloke Jack Styris I think.......correct me if im wrong an absolute legend of racing....does the gunny cup every year and heard him at Avoca, got a feeling he does hanging rock aswell, the guys a true champ!

ECHUCABOY said:
The bloke Jack Styris I think.......correct me if im wrong an absolute legend of racing....does the gunny cup every year and heard him at Avoca, got a feeling he does hanging rock aswell, the guys a true champ!

Jack Styring.He is the funniest caller I have heard.His voice and his little comments send me into fits of laughter.

Dr Nick043 said:
I reckon Bruce McAveney makes a better racecaller than footy commentator

My housemate made a big call yesterday regarding Bruce McAveney which actually made me laugh out loud.....

Something along the lines of "If he's calling and Makybe Diva wins the Melbourne Cup, they'll have to get industrial cleaners into the caller's room".

Remembering how he used to fawn over Wayne Carey, I think my housemate may be right! ;)

ECHUCABOY said:

I was at the Hanging Rock picnics earlier in the year and I could not hear an effing word he said. I actually started calling the races myself to our group because it just sounded like garbage.

As for others..I'm a big fan of Alan Thomas' work. Love the tips bit he does with Larry Olsen...I'm always cacking myself.

Ian Craig is great whereas Dufficy is rubbish.

Can we inlude the Callendar's in this thread? If they are not the most annoying racing personalities, I'll dak myself. Some nag has beaten another nag by 1/2 a length in a Class 3 at Warwick Farm on a Wednesday and when Dufficy finishes his call, Kenny jumps straight in, screaming his lungs out like he's just won Powerball. What does Mrs Callendar feed those boys??

That McCauley bloke in Perth has a very smooth voice.

Donaldson in Adelaide isn't that great.

IDGAF said:
Sydney`s Ian Craig has been the best race caller in this country for over 25 years now ...... by the length of the Flemington straight

Ian Craig does a magnificent inflexion as the post is approached and he has the winner identified.

Anyone know where the Austar Sky dispute currently is? Haven't heard him for ages.

Big fan of Ian Craig and Greg Miles. Alan Thomas isn't bad. I also love his race day previews on sky with larry olsen, funny stuff!
Can't remember the guys name, but one of the new zealand callers i love. He calls every race as if it were the biggest race of the year!
Not a Hilton or Dufficy fan at all.

yep, Craigy is the king of the callers, can see the winner from a long way out, and i would say, has got one closey wrong, and he nearly fell out of the box because of it. Love the way he can give you a run down at times on which jock is asleep and which isnt. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

any race caller that says your horse is way over the odds and then comes into to way under odds by the jump as the late money goes thanks to his information, that gives me the sh#@s

also love it when the caller has sprinted up to the tower and is totally out of breath by the time the race starts, always good for a laugh.

alan thomas, my fave, gives a good post race analysis.

Best: McAullife or McAullay. I reckon they've both got sensational voices.
Worst: Blackmore easily.

Can't work out the obsession with Ian Craig. I reckon he's average.

Darren McCaulley in Perth is a fantastic caller & very underrated.
Also Greg Miles & Allan Thomas among my favourites.
I reckon ALL of them deserve a MEDAL,certainly is a very tough job they have.I have heard some of the overseas race callers & some of them are WOEFUL :eek: Australia clearly has the BEST callers in the world in my opinion :D

stewie shenton(perth races) was the best for me before he he got done for selling the good stuff in between race calls.and just off the subject a bit what other footy commentaters would you reckon would be good if they tried there hand at being a race caller

chopperob said:
stewie shenton(perth races) was the best for me before he he got done for selling the good stuff in between race calls.and just off the subject a bit what other footy commentaters would you reckon would be good if they tried there hand at being a race caller

Gerard Whatley is trying his hand at the odd race on ABC grand stand at the moment. He gets the job done but definitely not born for it.

Brian Blackmore retired in August thankfully cos he was starting to sound pretty tired of it all.

That bloke from Launceston Peter Gilligan, still does the trots, shouts out SET as the mobile gets to release point.

If you haven't heard Jack Styring call a race you don't know what you are missing, dead set horrid with his accuracy but more than worth it for entertainment value.

Greg Miles still has the real ABC touch about him I reckon, even though he left there a while ago. His calls are straight down the line but first rate, in the mould of Tim Lane and Glenn Mitchell's with the cricket and footy.

Rick McIntosh can make an Ararat Maiden should exciting which is good, nothing better than an exciting race call. His Seymour Cup call was terrific a few weeks ago the last 200m.

Young bloke Matthew Hill in NSW is pretty good standard.

Dan Mielicki is the best in a photo finish by a long way, his accuracy is terrific and has the balls to have a shot at picking it.

Bryan Martin I'm not a fan of, and I hate the young bloke Mark Harrison who Sport 927 flicked but now bobs up on TVN. Voice is really way too over the top.

We are pretty lucky in Australia there are some quality callers.

IDGAF said:
Sydney`s Ian Craig has been the best race caller in this country for over 25 years now ...... by the length of the Flemington straight
Agreed, classy caller year after year. Clearly the best in Oz. Love it that Martin has hopped over to tvn meaning 927 has picked up Miles ... no more martin , can`t stand him. Milesy goes well. Big fan of Wayne Wilson , just stay in Brizzie Wayne and forget our carnival, he lost the plot two years back when he came down.

windyhill said:
Big fan of Wayne Wilson , just stay in Brizzie Wayne and forget our carnival, he lost the plot two years back when he came down.
LMAO Jack

I think it was the Caulfield cup Northerly won . Was one of the funniest things i have ever heard ( don`t know why i was laughing coz i was on Fields ) . The most schithouse call of a race i have ever heard . Your right , he fair dinkum lost it .

Bryan Markovic, how excited does this bloke get ? you would swear he has money on all the winners.
I find him really entertaining. A great racecaller.

Adam Crettenden is my biggest jinx, dont think he has ever called me a winner. Maybe because i went to school with him at Buckley Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back