Racecallers

Remove this Banner Ad

David Fowler called the races at Doomben today (last race 5.45pm) and was at Albion Park for the first at the trots (6.15pm). Not sure how far apart they are but that's a mighty effort.

Scribe2 said:
Any one have any likes and dislikes?

Personally, I can't stand Brian Martin. Not only does he never call me a winner, he has a boring voice and owns a boring horse. Greg Miles is fine.

Can't stand Wayne Wilson but like Alan Thomas.

Ian Craig is always a cracker but Ron Dufficy really battles

Like the Adelaide and Perth guys.

The bloke who calls the country trots in NSW is a liability and should be sacked.

Brian Blackmore makes a lot of mistakes and seems like quite a man angry at his lot in life.

Remember the wildman who used to call in Tassie? He used to yell out "SET" and was completely inconherent. We used to go down to the TAB just to listen to him.

Speaking of incoherent, Ron Hawkswell seems to be always slurring. I remember when Channel 31 used to broadcast the country races and Ron filled in at Stawell races. He called a 3200 hurdle race like he was calling a 500 Greyhound sprint.

Any others?

One of the better posts I have read Scribe 2, concur on most things there. I am a huge Ian Craig fan, his call of last years Sydney Cup was an absolute belter "As we go around again and the order has not changed for an age, its Philosophe for Raymond Shane Dye......". I also love his post race editorials, I remember earlier this year a Waterhouse horse at Kembla was a beaten fave and he just teed off at it, reeling off the SP's for its last 5 runs "2.60, 3.20, 4.30, 2.10, 1.90, and you know what it is still a maiden, punters, when will you learn, never, never again". NSW TAB site has an archive of all Sydney race calls that you can listen to, makes for great listening to while away the working day.

The biggest disappointment of TVN has been that Mark Sheen calls Sydney races and not Ian. He is pathetic, he made the Epsom HCP sound like a Barrier Trial from Canterbury, honestly I would love to hear him call the Melbourne Cup in his monotone voice, "And Makybe Diva wins by a length, Demerger a length away second and Lecia Falcon on her heels", put some colour in for gods sake. Almost makes you feel like you should not be betting on Sydney Races.

Alphonse said:
The biggest disappointment of TVN has been that Mark Sheen calls Sydney races and not Ian. He is pathetic, he made the Epsom HCP sound like a Barrier Trial from Canterbury, honestly I would love to hear him call the Melbourne Cup in his monotone voice, "And Makybe Diva wins by a length, Demerger a length away second and Lecia Falcon on her heels", put some colour in for gods sake. Almost makes you feel like you should not be betting on Sydney Races.
Agree, and then Kenny Callendar comes on with all his enthusiasm and belts out a load of nonsense as well.

But having heard Sheen's calls they are far too unexciting. Just have to watch TVN with the sound down and put the radio on I guess.

Wilson's call of Meeediarrr Puzzle winning the cup was a barry and a half.

Anyone hear Newcastle races on Sunday?

For two reasons, the first that BBC caller Darren Owen called two races, interesting to hear their style, plus use of things like "furlongs" and "eyegear".

The second for Matthew Hill getting ill during the 5th race, he struggled for about 400m calling the first three horses in the race over and over and said they were at the 800m about three times before a clunk of the microphone, then silence before he came back with about 200m to go. Apprently he had a dizzy spell mid race, but a fairly unusual situation.

Just a quick note to the original post on this thread, Bryan Martin and FOO lost me forever on Saturday after in the post race euphoria of Bomber Bills great win he felt the need to say "Gee we should keep Fields of Omagh going for another 4 years", ITS NOT ABOUT YOU AND YOUR BORING HORSE BRYAN. You had your day on Cox Plate, today is for all those people who despite increasing risk to Bombers Bill's health and well being, want him to keep running his old heart out so they can say "I always back Bomber Bill"

I never back Bomber Bill, time to retire the old boy, if Smerdon said its time, its time. Its getting cruel now. Its not good for the horse either.

footyman said:
David Fowler called the races at Doomben today (last race 5.45pm) and was at Albion Park for the first at the trots (6.15pm). Not sure how far apart they are but that's a mighty effort.
It's only about $9 in a cab, not far at all.

Alphonse said:
Just a quick note to the original post on this thread, Bryan Martin and FOO lost me forever on Saturday after in the post race euphoria of Bomber Bills great win he felt the need to say "Gee we should keep Fields of Omagh going for another 4 years", ITS NOT ABOUT YOU AND YOUR BORING HORSE BRYAN. You had your day on Cox Plate, today is for all those people who despite increasing risk to Bombers Bill's health and well being, want him to keep running his old heart out so they can say "I always back Bomber Bill"

I never back Bomber Bill, time to retire the old boy, if Smerdon said its time, its time. Its getting cruel now. Its not good for the horse either.
Smerdon didn't say the horse should be retired. Owing to the nature of his foot problem, being trained on the beach is best for him.

Horses are bred to race. Many of them actually love doing it. If he is fit and healthy, there is no good reason why he shouldn't.

Bryan Martin is not what he used to be.
Wayne Wilson is only interested in the horse he's backed.
McCaullay and McAullife are top class.
"Paris" Hilton Donaldson is the most inept, unprofessional, and disgusting thoroughbred race caller Australia has ever known. He has no idea of pace, cannot tell if a horse is going well or not through the run and loves horses and jockeys comming to grief-his excitment and carry on over these types of incidents is totally inapropriate and unacceptable- in 1,03 point 5!!!

Coondog 17 said:
Bryan Markovic, how excited does this bloke get ? you would swear he has money on all the winners.
I find him really entertaining. A great racecaller.

Adam Crettenden is my biggest jinx, dont think he has ever called me a winner. Maybe because i went to school with him at Buckley Park.

Shocking caller Markovic. Terrible stacatto style of calling. Hardly ever picks a horse flying home when most on the course see it. Usually tries to cover this up by saying "this is close" when the horse flying home has won easily!

A new caller in Adam Olszanski is promising. Has been calling picnic meetings for a while now. Flys to Alice Springs to call. Impressive calls @Yarra Valley, Sunday & Werribee today. Already better than Markovic in picking horses making runs and just turned 22.

cats56 said:
Shocking caller Markovic. Terrible stacatto style of calling. Hardly ever picks a horse flying home when most on the course see it. Usually tries to cover this up by saying "this is close" when the horse flying home has won easily!

A new caller in Adam Olszanski is promising. Has been calling picnic meetings for a while now. Flys to Alice Springs to call. Impressive calls @Yarra Valley, Sunday & Werribee today. Already better than Markovic in picking horses making runs and just turned 22.
Markovic always uses "is getting out.....and steadily making ground" when the horse has already flown down the outside and passed the leaders.

Olszanski is alright but just sounds a bit too Mark Shean like, needs to get a bit more excited. But had heard him at the picnics plenty of times and is accurate enough.

Just had TVN on with the trails from Cranbourne with Jack Styring calling - now there is an interesting racecaller!

footyman said:
Markovic always uses "is getting out.....and steadily making ground" when the horse has already flown down the outside and passed the leaders.

Olszanski is alright but just sounds a bit too Mark Shean like, needs to get a bit more excited. But had heard him at the picnics plenty of times and is accurate enough.

Just had TVN on with the trails from Cranbourne with Jack Styring calling - now there is an interesting racecaller!

Yes Adam is a pretty monotone at the moment. Mainly wants to get the accuracy downpat first so it's his main priority. Hopefully add a dash of colour to his calls with more experience. Would still rather listen to him than Markovic.

Horribly innaccurate caller Stryring. Only gets a few jobs because of the novelty of his over the top calling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cats56 said:
Yes Adam is a pretty monotone at the moment. Mainly wants to get the accuracy downpat first so it's his main priority. Hopefully add a dash of colour to his calls with more experience. Would still rather listen to him than Markovic.
Bad blue at Werribee Friday when a horse drumped the jockey and smashed through the running rail and he didn't even see it or comment on it until the end of the race! I know it's a tough thing to call races but the best callers always pick those things up.

I guess the people listening to Markovic would have known who was out of the race

Anyone hear Terry Bailey call the wrong horse the winner at the Valley in the first race tonight? Was calling it the wrong name for the last 800m, sounded like he got a helluva shock when he realised the blue.

Not sure who was calling yesterdays trots Geelong but a horse i tipped Urwhatueat galloped twice in the run while leading and no mention made of it.Stewards noticed it but caller didnt slack.

The one & only thing I don't like about TVN is not having Australia's two best callers Ian Craig and Greg Miles. It's a real shame.

As for everyone else, that bloke who was almost killed a few years back I hate. Have never backed a single winner with him calling, I can't listen to racing in Queensland because of the clowns up there. The caller in WA is in the top 5.

I do have to say tho that at least even the worst caller in Australia is better than the best US born callers.

Im The Gun said:
The one & only thing I don't like about TVN is not having Australia's two best callers Ian Craig and Greg Miles. It's a real shame.

As for everyone else, that bloke who was almost killed a few years back I hate. Have never backed a single winner with him calling, I can't listen to racing in Queensland because of the clowns up there. The caller in WA is in the top 5.

I do have to say tho that at least even the worst caller in Australia is better than the best US born callers.
I agree with you on that, even worse that Fox Digital has a 5 second delay compared to the radio so you really can't listen to the radio call.

Have to feel sorry for the people in Sydney having to listen to Mark Shean on course.

Queensland callers are the best though, don't know why you can't stand them?

footyman said:
Queensland callers are the best though, don't know why you can't stand them?

I just hate being told why a horse can't win by Thomas and 90 seconds later why he did. He seems to miss a lot of the pack action and calls like he's better than you, a bit like Alf Matthews and Ian Healy are.

The other guys are just bad luck ;)

Anyone hear Terry Bailey call the wrong horse the winner at the Valley in the first race tonight? Was calling it the wrong name for the last 800m, sounded like he got a helluva shock when he realised the blue.
bump

bored so thought i would read some old threads....
some things never change!! 2005!!!! and he still has a job!

Racecalling is a pretty tough gig. I’m a huge fan of Tim Newbold. The greyhound caller in NSW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back