News Rachele and Soligo contract extensions

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome news. Looks like the culture of the club is growing very well :)
Many sides who won multiple flags started off with a young side where most of the group stuck together for the long haul.

Wow… fu**n great news!..

Hearing good things about soligo.. possible R1 debut good apparently.. we’ll see of course, but geez its good to lock in young talent this early.

What nicknames have we got for these lads?… are we hearing anything from the playing group on what nicknames they have been given?..
Soggy ... from the way his name has been spelt a few times.

We just need to introduce them to a few hot Italian signorinas from good families from around here**

[** a few assumptions there, I know]

2 untried rookies sign on for 3 year extensions and suddenly it's glory days?

It's not about kulcha it's a canny manager

Good luck to them but I always worry about long terms for untried.

waits for the thumbs down from mute. Don't bother we get you're a fanboi
2 talented Victorian boys committing to the club....

This is a big tick that allows two talented lads to really commit to the program without fear

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good news, it does make me wonder where the club rates Gollant only offering him a 1 year contract after what I thought was pretty rapid improvement since he arrived. After all he’s shown we were willing to contract him to the end of 2022 while Soligo off what must have been a good pre season is extended to 2025.

I was surprised by it at the time and it made me think perhaps the club doesn’t rate him like I thought they did, from everything I’ve seen of him he’s been one of our best in the SANFL and looks a very exciting AFL prospect.

Hey, I've graduated to being one of the 6 people on this board who has an alias ;)

The only thing I could think of is risk, in that Gollant is a pretty raw project player. Still I'm rather baffled by one year as well.

We just need to introduce them to a few hot Italian signorinas from good families from around here**

How old is Roo's oldest daughter?;)

Adelaide has locked away its first two draft picks from last year until the end of 2025.
In a mutual show of faith with the club, Victorian duo Josh Rachele and Jake Soligo have extended their initial contracts by two seasons before they have played a game.

Small forward/on-baller Rachele, taken at pick 6 in November, and midfielder Soligo, selected at 36, have impressed over summer, putting themselves in contention for round-1 debuts.

Their re-signings a little more than two months after arriving at West Lakes are a boost for the club’s culture under third-year coach Matthew Nicks.
But after choosing homegrown tall Riley Thilthorpe with its first pick in 2020, Adelaide had no hesitation in taking Rachele last year ahead of some of SA’s top prospects, despite him having close ties to his Shepparton-based family, of Italian and Greek heritage.

The Crows then snared Soligo, a product of Mornington Peninsula club Dromana, with their second selection in November.

At the time, Adelaide’s national recruiting manager Hamish Ogilvie told News Corp he had learnt enough from Rachele’s 13 under-age games the past two years and chats with the “worldly, mature” draftee to be confident it was making the right call.

Ogilvie described Soligo as an old-school footballer with solid fundamentals.

“Josh is exciting and he’s kicked some difficult goals,” Ogilvie said in November.

“He’s been out on the (family) orchard from 10, 12 years of age out in the sun … so he knows what hard work looks like.

“Soligo is just pure football skill, genuine mid, more hard running power.”

Rachele looms as a fan favourite for a team that has lacked pizzazz since Eddie Betts’ departure at the end of 2019.
But after choosing homegrown tall Riley Thilthorpe with its first pick in 2020, Adelaide had no hesitation in taking Rachele last year ahead of some of SA’s top prospects, despite him having close ties to his Shepparton-based family, of Italian and Greek heritage.

The Crows then snared Soligo, a product of Mornington Peninsula club Dromana, with their second selection in November.

At the time, Adelaide’s national recruiting manager Hamish Ogilvie told News Corp he had learnt enough from Rachele’s 13 under-age games the past two years and chats with the “worldly, mature” draftee to be confident it was making the right call.

Ogilvie described Soligo as an old-school footballer with solid fundamentals.

“Josh is exciting and he’s kicked some difficult goals,” Ogilvie said in November.

“He’s been out on the (family) orchard from 10, 12 years of age out in the sun … so he knows what hard work looks like.

“Soligo is just pure football skill, genuine mid, more hard running power.”

Rachele looms as a fan favourite for a team that has lacked pizzazz since Eddie Betts’ departure at the end of 2019.

I thought it would be impossible for the moon howlers to see a negative in this.

I WAS WRONG!!!!!

It is a great protection for us. If they struggle in their first year or two (like Chayce, Ned and Fish) we will still offer them another two years. If they perform well and get homesick we will get a fair price. Hopefully the Italian Stallions will be here for more than a decade.
High ranked draft picks rarely only get 2 years, they would always get an extension at some stage, so giving them now makes perfect sense.

I dont know why but…

everytime i read Soligo’s name anywhere I read it in my head as “soul glo”..

strange?.. yes, I know.

just give me some of that soul glo!…

i’ll see myself out..

Rachele came in with some reputation/fanfare whereas with Soligo it was fairly quiet. Seems to have hit the ground running though. Training and match sim reports have been very positive. Is he the Schoenberg of last year's draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow… fu**n great news!..

Hearing good things about soligo.. possible R1 debut good apparently.. we’ll see of course, but geez its good to lock in young talent this early.

What nicknames have we got for these lads?… are we hearing anything from the playing group on what nicknames they have been given?..
Given we have Lairdy, Keaysy and Sloaney, I bet you they're real good.

I dont know why but…

everytime i read Soligo’s name anywhere I read it in my head as “soul glo”..

strange?.. yes, I know.

just give me some of that soul glo!…

i’ll see myself out..
He shall now be known as Darryl Jenks Screenshot_20220222-210109_Chrome.jpg

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

2 untried rookies sign on for 3 year extensions and suddenly it's glory days?

It's not about kulcha it's a canny manager

Good luck to them but I always worry about long terms for untried.

waits for the thumbs down from mute. Don't bother we get you're a fanboi

They're first and second round picks, they would've got another year no matter how hard they spudded it up.

We give rookies a fair crack.

Case and point Ben ******* Davis...

Respect your posting, Greycrow, but reckon that's a wrong call.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I respect his posting too, I think its fine to have a contrasting view thats different from the rest. It offers balance and a point of difference.

Rachele came in with some reputation/fanfare whereas with Soligo it was fairly quiet. Seems to have hit the ground running though. Training and match sim reports have been very positive. Is he the Schoenberg of last year's draft?
Some of us were big on Schoenberg in his draft year where as I don't remember anyone really talking up Soligo apart from being solid.

I watched a few of Soligo's games and he really didn't stand out, but they were rep games where he was playing a minor roll behind other more highly touted players. Schoenberg was pretty much SA's main mid that year.

Schoenberg would have been hyped more if he looked more athletic, but it was obvious there was a very decent footballer there.

Pretty big vote of confidence from the club towards Soligo. Rachele is an obvious one to extend if you can get him to sign, coming in at pick 6, but a guy picked in the late 30s being extended before they've even had a preseason hitout would have to be a rarity.
Certainly has some risk.

Some of us were big on Schoenberg in his draft year where as I don't remember anyone really talking up Soligo apart from being solid.

I watched a few of Soligo's games and he really didn't stand out, but they were rep games where he was playing a minor roll behind other more highly touted players. Schoenberg was pretty much SA's main mid that year.

Schoenberg would have been hyped more if he looked more athletic, but it was obvious there was a very decent footballer there.
Soligo did win the Eastern Ranges 2021 B & F the Pennington Medal (In the Ranges bests 6 of his 7 games). I think what likely attracted Hamish was his consistency and the fact he was just about the NAB League's best 2 way running midfielder perhaps only outshone ny Ben Hobbs in that regard.

Soligo did win the Eastern Ranges 2021 B & F the Pennington Medal (In the Ranges bests 6 of his 7 games). I think what likely attracted Hamish was his consistency and the fact he was just about the NAB League's best 2 way running midfielder perhaps only outshone ny Ben Hobbs in that regard.
Yeah true. I didn't see any of those games.

Certainly has some risk.

I guess so. I'm of the opinion that unless our youth turns out to be spectacular, we're not going to be in a premiership window in 2025 anyway. So we're only risking a fairly minimal salary in a year that is unlikely to be a premiership year anyway. Good risk to take.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back