Review Rachele, Bad & Ugly v Fremantle (Round 1)

Who played well against Fremantle?

• Luke Brown

• Jordon Butts

• Matt Crouch

• Jordan Dawson

• Tom Doedee

• Darcy Fogarty

• Elliott Himmelberg

• Mitch Hinge

• Chayce Jones

• Ben Keays

• Ned McHenry

• Andrew McPherson

• Wayne Milera

• Nick Murray

• Reilly O'Brien

• Josh Rachele

• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Lachlan Sholl (sub)

• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully this means the end of Murphy in the fowardline.

Defensive pressure/ability should be a clear distant second to offensive ability in the small forward role - I don't know why the club can't understand this.

Look what Rachele did for us.
On Sundays showing there is no way in hell Murphy is ahead of Rachele, and falls behind Rowe as well

On Sundays showing there is no way in hell Murphy is ahead of Rachele, and falls behind Rowe as well

Yup, Murphy is finished as a small forward (and likely full stop).

He's ran into the same problem as Petrenko ended up running into. Being a defensive forward is a good way to get games, however, you're absolutely screwed when a kid comes in who can offer offense and defense production at a high level. Especially as McHenry offers more.

He's ran into the same problem as Petrenko ended up running into. Being a defensive forward is a good way to get games, however, you're absolutely screwed when a kid comes in who can offer offense and defense production at a high level. Especially as McHenry offers more.
You forget Murphy is contracted for 2023 and he does have other strings to his bow....McPherson not coming on like expected and Luke Brown 30 next year, Will Hamill and Chayce Jones not yet nailing down their spots so don't be forgetting how good Murphy was as a small defender in the SANFL, a role that won him a spot on our list. And has been handy around the ball when given squirts on the ball.

Last edited:

We will find a way to shoehorn him in. You can bank on it.

You forget Murphy is contracted for 2023 and he does have other strings to his bow....McPherson not coming on like expected and Luke Brown 30 next year, Will Hamill and Chayce Jones not yet nailing down their spots so don't be forgetting how good Murphy was as a small defender in the SANFL, a role that won him a spot on our list. And has been handy around the ball when given squirts on the ball.
I’d have Murphy in defence over Jones but I reckon McPherson after a s**t first half of 2021 is coming on fine and Murphy won’t displace him.

I’d have Murphy in defence over Jones but I reckon McPherson after a sh*t first half of 2021 is coming on fine and Murphy won’t displace him.
McPherson's problems dating right back to his junior days have been soft tissue/hamstring issues so you're braver than me if you think he's anywhere near a lock going forward. The only reason we were able to pick him up so late in the draft was his injury history back then obviously scared clubs off.

The forward line structure was bad, Himmelberg and Thilthorpe were always too close to each other which allowed their defenders to move off them to spoil the other player.

They didn't give each other enough space to work.
Get the water bottles out again, Nicksy

Only round 1 but genuinely worried about ROB. Went from gold jacket to out of the team last year because of an injury which stopped him from being able to jump. Presumably that’s fixed now? Because he still couldn’t jump on Sunday. He’s in the leadership group now which should protect him for a few games but Strachan did look agile at the end of last year

This stood out for me yesterday. Those two matches Strachnie played, our mids got very good service with Stachnies tap work.

This stood out for me yesterday. Those two matches Strachnie played, our mids got very good service with Stachnies tap work.
We need to pull the trigger soon if ROB has more performances like yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what Sloane got suspended for

IMG_3954.jpg
Just to repeat - this incident didn't even get looked at, despite Knight telling the umpire at the time that was eye gouged. In fact Selwood got a free kick out of this. And they wonder why we are sick of the AFL.

McPherson's problems dating right back to his junior days have been soft tissue/hamstring issues so you're braver than me if you think he's anywhere near a lock going forward. The only reason we were able to pick him up so late in the draft was his injury history back then obviously scared clubs off.

So late in the draft? Late 2nd round wasn’t it

2005 - 2010 Neil Craig had the same issue - no surprise VB is the centre coach of this

To be fair its been a Crows issue for a while - we hold the inner ring while our opponents wait for us to fumble or panic and get the reward for waiting

Weird that he knew how to coach midfield at West Coast then

The forward line structure was bad, Himmelberg and Thilthorpe were always too close to each other which allowed their defenders to move off them to spoil the other player.

They didn't give each other enough space to work.

The strategy isn't to try and put the ball on the advantage side of either player. It's to dump it on their head in a larger pack where nobody is likely to take a grab.

Ben Keays forward delivery is terrible.

First half at least 4 I50s went wide or too shallow for the leading forward.

I would put Rowe or Scholl in his spot in the midfield rotation. Both better kicks.

Rachele, wowee

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's always been a terrible kick. The one where he bombed it in and it went out, he was actually going for goal, so that was just a bad decision as he should've put it in the square for his team to contest. He's not the one you want delivering to our forwards by kick. I'm also surprised every time he actually kicks a goal, because I never expect it to go in (same situation with ROB regardless of how close he is to goal).

This is what Sloane got suspended for

If he made contact with the eye, then that is really bad and wth was he thinking. If he didn't and it was just a forehead wipe, why was his hand on his head like that in the first place?? Sloane has never been a dirty player.

Good:
Our centre clearance work has improved dramatically, actually winning and kept us in it in the first half.
Darcy Fogarty getting up to more contests.
James Rowe's skills, his pass to Rachelle in the pocket was elite
Matt Crouch is actually a pretty good player
ROB's around the ground marking has improved
Himmelberg calmly slotting a kick into forward 50 and hitting a target, who TF was that guy? (that guy should be running around like a stoned giraffe with the footy and getting HTB like normal)

Bad:
ROBs everything else is very average
The almost panic and brainlessness in the first half, hack kicking constantly out of every contest, missing every target out of defence, we couldn't possibly play worse.
Rory Lobb looking like a superstar in the first quarter, he is not... oh man... he can't be allowed to look like anything but the 2nd rate plodder he is.

Ugly:
Missed about 5 shots in front of goal to essentially ice the game.
Fremantle deserved to win by 5+ goals at least.
Thilthorpe's turnover with 4 mins left, yuck, but that fine. Better than down the line rubbish.

Thilthorpe's turnover with 4 mins left, yuck, but that fine. Better than down the line rubbish.
Down-the-line was absolutely the right play, or a 30-metre pass down the line to the unmarked Crow (pause replay, look).

Many have commented in here either way (game-losing/ NOT-game-losing) about this kick, by Nicks and Keays as well.

I'll say it again. Listen to the replay; watch.

An Umpire's call can be heard clearly (3.50 left to play, 7.03/7.57 in the highlights):
"Not 15, play on". Plus the Umpire has both arms in the air, signalling "Play on".
If Thilthorpe had not overkicked it, the mark was not going to be paid anyway.

Dumb kick, was not going anywhere with 4 unmarked Freo players waiting to pounce. Serious mistake, but "game-losing"??

Anyone who thinks so needs to watch the first half again (if you can stomach the garbage the Crows put up).

Back