Review Rachele, Bad & Ugly v Fremantle (Round 1)

Who played well against Fremantle?

• Luke Brown

• Jordon Butts

• Matt Crouch

• Jordan Dawson

• Tom Doedee

• Darcy Fogarty

• Elliott Himmelberg

• Mitch Hinge

• Chayce Jones

• Ben Keays

• Ned McHenry

• Andrew McPherson

• Wayne Milera

• Nick Murray

• Reilly O'Brien

• Josh Rachele

• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Lachlan Sholl (sub)

• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

On Sundays showing there is no way in hell Murphy is ahead of Rachele, and falls behind Rowe as well
I'd eventually like to see a forward line that looks like this once players are fit and raring to go (a poster confirmed cook is still underdone)

Rowe fogarty gollant
Cook thilthorpe rachele

I see lots of goals in that line up assuming we can get enough good ball there. There is also quite a bit of variety there with the big marking forward, the lead up forward, 2 x mid sized x factor forwards, a small goal sneak and then there is rachele.

And has so far had a career befitting pick 6 ;)

Honestly, I can't see McAsey having a career here at this point. Butts and Murray look like excellent defensive prospects at this point, we've shown no real interest in moving Doedee from a third tall, and we don't seem particularly interested in pushing him towards a key forward spot (notwithstanding we might find ourselves rather settled in that area soon if Gollant form holds up).

Seems like he's completely reliant on an injury to break through at this point.
I don't think it would too hard for McAsey to go past Murray. Murray makes a lot of mistakes by foot and has brainfades (like calling for the ball from Thilthorpe) - hopefully that gets fixed with time, but McAsey has MUCH better disposal and potentially has better hands. Just hasn't had the physical attack on the contest so far.

I don't think it would too hard for McAsey to go past Murray. Murray makes a lot of mistakes by foot and has brainfades (like calling for the ball from Thilthorpe) - hopefully that gets fixed with time, but McAsey has MUCH better disposal and potentially has better hands. Just hasn't had the physical attack on the contest so far.

He's a 10 game key defender in the end of the day, errors are going to happen, much like they'll happen if McAsey is selected (part of the joy of developing youth). On the flipside, he's shown a very competent shutdown game (noting he produced Talia like numbers in contested loss rate) last year and has shown signs he's able to develop a strong intercept game.

If you're Adelaide, the path is pretty clear with this one. Hold on for dear life, back the club to develop Murray intercept game and that experience/training/being in a better side will clean up his decision making. There is enough in Murrays game that he'll end up as one of the top KPDs in the league with careful development. You do not even consider McAsey unless injuries happen, especially as he's been not that great in the last year.

There is absolutely nothing in McAseys career that indicates he has better hands then Murray.

Last edited:

Doesn’t seem to pad his stats by getting involved in sideways chipshow which robs him of 4-6 per game that our previous defensive groups feasted on.
Why do people put so much emphasis on how many stats a player accumulates as if it proves how valuable they are..

Pointless getting 35 possessions if 15 of them are sideways chips or pointless handballs, 10 of them are kicks to no one or OOB on the full.

You’d take a 20 possession game from Christian Petracca over a 35 possesion game from Keays/sloane or laird everyday of the week and twice on Sundays..

But “laird had a bad game” is often met with “oh, come on, he got 35 possesions!!”

Why do people put so much emphasis on how many stats a player accumulates as if it proves how valuable they are..

Pointless getting 35 possessions if 15 of them are sideways chips or pointless handballs, 10 of them are kicks to no one or OOB on the full.

You’d take a 20 possession game from Christian Petracca over a 35 possesion game from Keays/sloane or laird everyday of the week and twice on Sundays..

But “laird had a bad game” is often met with “oh, come on, he got 35 possesions!!”

Consistently getting that many touches can be an indication the opposition doesn’t rate them enough to clamp down on them

I'd eventually like to see a forward line that looks like this once players are fit and raring to go (a poster confirmed cook is still underdone)

Rowe fogarty gollant
Cook thilthorpe rachele

I see lots of goals in that line up assuming we can get enough good ball there. There is also quite a bit of variety there with the big marking forward, the lead up forward, 2 x mid sized x factor forwards, a small goal sneak and then there is rachele.

This is my preferred forward line up in the future too.
Lots of talent and X factor and goal scoring ability
Mcadam is now looking like a distant memory

Consistently getting that many touches can be an indication the opposition doesn’t rate them enough to clamp down on them
Could also indicate they outwork their opposition too, and with the focus obviously being Ben Keays by that poster maybe people need to look at his work rate before coming up with that assessment.

Sloane might not be the best at handling a hard tag and past his best but it's absolute bullshit to suggest his possessions are nothing possessions, he's actually quite damaging generally.

Just to repeat - this incident didn't even get looked at, despite Knight telling the umpire at the time that was eye gouged. In fact Selwood got a free kick out of this. And they wonder why we are sick of the AFL.
Happened in the same round 20 years later as the 1997 incident where Earl Spalding broke Trent Ormond-Allen's jaw behind play.

1997 Crows didn't stand for that nonsense and raised it to the AFL themselves, despite archaic social conventions around a code-of-silence over such things. They go on to win two premierships in a row

2017 Crows were too afraid of being called dibber-dobbers and refused to do anything about it. No premiership.

Makes you think!

Could also indicate they outwork their opposition too, and with the focus obviously being Ben Keays by that poster maybe people need to look at his work rate before coming up with that assessment.

Sloane might not be the best at handling a hard tag and past his best but it's absolute bullshit to suggest his possessions are nothing possessions, he's actually quite damaging generally.
“That poster” has never once questioned Benny’s work rate… never.

Benny works his arse off.. gives his all and gets plenty of the ball because of it. You cant get 30-35+ possesions a game without doing so.

its what Benny does with it the majority of the time he gets the ball that “that poster” questions/has concerns with..

As for sloaney.. love him.. but yeah.. he was definitely “damaging” on the weekend!..

Also need to state just how good Brown was, absolutely blanketed Walters he barely had a touch!

Definitely the best Small defender we have, and is underated by alot of people on this board
Brown’s nickname for years at the club has been “the glove” due to him always being all over his opponent and completely smothering them..

He’s had a couple of injury riddled years but hopefully he gets a clear run for the remainder if his career as he’s definitely a valuable player..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also need to state just how good Brown was, absolutely blanketed Walters he barely had a touch!

Definitely the best Small defender we have, and is underated by alot of people on this board

Totally agree. McPherson is too dour to play with Brown and our ball movement definitely changed when Andy went down. Sholl in, Dawson/Smith to HB while we get Milera up to speed and hope and pray that Chayce gets his s**t together as he has the physical profile to be a good mix def/off.

Yeah had Browny in my bests. He had a great game. Gave Walters a bath and used the footy well when he got it.

Down-the-line was absolutely the right play, or a 30-metre pass down the line to the unmarked Crow (pause replay, look).

Many have commented in here either way (game-losing/ NOT-game-losing) about this kick, by Nicks and Keays as well.

I'll say it again. Listen to the replay; watch.

An Umpire's call can be heard clearly (3.50 left to play, 7.03/7.57 in the highlights):
"Not 15, play on". Plus the Umpire has both arms in the air, signalling "Play on".
If Thilthorpe had not overkicked it, the mark was not going to be paid anyway.

Dumb kick, was not going anywhere with 4 unmarked Freo players waiting to pounce. Serious mistake, but "game-losing"??

Anyone who thinks so needs to watch the first half again (if you can stomach the garbage the Crows put up).

Yeah, it wasn't game losing but to Riley it probably feels like it.
Down the line was definitely the right choice 4 minutes to play 5 points up.

Good call. He was so good I didn't even realize Walters was playing.
Walters has been completely cooked for some time now though. Worse than Sloane even.

Jones has played 38 games and doesn't have a single one above 19 disposals. That's pretty bad considering the position he's playing.
I sense there will be more pressure from the SANFL players this year. I can think of several players who could take his spot. TBH, I hope we see many new faces throughout the year.

What was with ROB running out of steam in the last? He could hardly run at all. We started getting smashed in the middle when he came off the ground with about 8 mins remaining.
Pretty hot afternoon.

I'm not necessarily talking about the older lad comments (mostly directed at Sloane seemingly), just some of the younger lads who I feel are getting written off unnecessarily. Sloane had a woeful performance, and he should cop something for it. Although knowing us im sure we're just going to persist with him.
Won't happen but...
Sloane: omitted
Pedlar: in
Would send a message through the whole club. Perform or step aside!

Yes I agree too but you can't have a teammate in the media sh*t on a young kids decision. Thilthorpe would know now he made the wrong decision that cost the game but he needs his teammates support he's already probably feeling pretty sh*t. All of them out there made mistakes.

You could argue why didn't Keays make better contact with his kick so it would have been untouchable.

We had many opportunities to win which we didn't take and that's why we lost added on the very poor first half. To single out one moment is unfair
It's a crazy thought but I think that was an important loss. I'm sure all individual players will improve greatly this week.
P.s.
And TT will not kick inboard in that situation again for the rest of his career.

Walters has been completely cooked for some time now though. Worse than Sloane even.
Yeah, I just checked his stats, it certainly seems like his output is diminishing over the last 2 years. Might have lost that top gear that made him so dangerous.

You know what they say, father time is undefeated...

P.s. You try telling father time that Rory's not playing midfield

He's a 10 game key defender in the end of the day, errors are going to happen, much like they'll happen if McAsey is selected (part of the joy of developing youth). On the flipside, he's shown a very competent shutdown game (noting he produced Talia like numbers in contested loss rate) last year and has shown signs he's able to develop a strong intercept game.

If you're Adelaide, the path is pretty clear with this one. Hold on for dear life and back the club to develop Murray intercept game and that experience/training/being in a better side will clean up his decision making. There is enough in Murrays game that he'll end up as one of the top KPDs in the league with careful development. You do not even consider McAsey unless injuries happen, especially as he's been not that great in the last year.

There is absolutely nothing in McAseys career that indicates he has better hands then Murray.
I'm very upbeat about Murray. I think he and JB could become ten year 'pillars' for us.

Back