NO TROLLS Racism Bombshell Claim - Carlton and Essendon Named

Remove this Banner Ad

I have very mixed thoughts about this. I'm 53, virtually the entirety of my teen years fell in the 80s. I'm ashamed to admit, I regularly indulged in (strictly casual) racism, sexism and homophobia back then. So it would be hypocritical of me to condemn this. At the same time, saying 'it was just the times' is the lamest cop-out ever.

It was very prevalent in the footy clubs I played for.

Happily, I've evolved well beyond those times, and stand very strongly against such things. The problem, these days, is when people DON'T evolve beyond. I think this is partly what people mean when they say they want a return to the 'good old days', days when you could use words like 'n****r', 'b***g', 'p**f', 'f*g', 'b***h' etc with far less in the way of consequences. This is part of the basis of the brain-dead MAGA/PHON ideology.

As societies, we are moving past this, just very, very slowly....

You don’t know what you’re talking about so why don’t you stfu before you embarrass yourself further.

Sheedy didn’t know anything about aboriginal culture until Longy came to EFC. Then he spent the next 40 years embracing the indigenous contribution to Australian rules football.

That. Is . A . Fact.
Great thing about the interwebs, it never forgets

Derek Peardon (born 24 September 1950) is a former Australian rules football player who played in the VFLbetween 1968 and 1971 for the Richmond Football Club.
During his time at Richmond one of his teammates was Kevin Sheedy. Sheedy credits Peardon with initiating his interest in indigenous Australia.

I have very mixed thoughts about this. I'm 53, virtually the entirety of my teen years fell in the 80s. I'm ashamed to admit, I regularly indulged in (strictly casual) racism, sexism and homophobia back then. So it would be hypocritical of me to condemn this. At the same time, saying 'it was just the times' is the lamest cop-out ever.

It was very prevalent in the footy clubs I played for.

Happily, I've evolved well beyond those times, and stand very strongly against such things. The problem, these days, is when people DON'T evolve beyond. I think this is partly what people mean when they say they want a return to the 'good old days', days when you could use words like 'n****r', 'b***g', 'p**f', 'f*g', 'b***h' etc with far less in the way of consequences. This is part of the basis of the brain-dead MAGA/PHON ideology.

As societies, we are moving past this, just very, very slowly....

I don’t think you’d be hypocritical at all for condemning it, as you’re also reflecting on your past behaviour as well and condemning in.

That is a different question to the one you initially posed. It should be obvious to not have players with symptoms go back on. But there are a lot with minimal symptoms (remember we also did not have the computerised test batteries to detect subtle findings) where the knowledge at the time was “can get back and continue to play” while we know now of the risks.
It wouldn’t be the first time people receive compensation despite an organisation being ignorant at the time as to the long term effects of something.

It's a Class Action against the AFL isn't it?

Not against people being racist to them, but against the AFL for not doing anything about racism and as a result creating an unsafe work place. Or words to that effect.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong?

I've seen about 50 people in here talk about people getting sued for being racist 40 years ago - but it seemed to read very clearly to me that that's not what the Class Action is about.

Am I missing something?
No, some people just seem to have complete ignorance as to how our court systems work.

They must sleep through all the ads lawyers put out about seeking compensation for things.

I understand what you’re saying mate…but the VFL in the 1980s is a completely different entity now when you talk about the modern day AFL commission.

It’s all legal arguments that you and I and everyone else out there in the burbs have no knowledge of.

This is what courtrooms are for. A Westminster political system governed by the court system.

It’s not pretty at the best of times…but this is what we’ve got to handle such legal arguments.
When has “it was a completely different entity” been a legitimate defence for cases brought forward against companies, religious institutions, schools etc?

If it still exists they can be held liable for historical behaviour.

No AFL lawyer is going to be making an argument about it being a different entity unless they want to be laughed out of court.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little doubt there was racial abuse at the time and multiple in the media have previously conceded their involvement (Lyon and Derm with Chris Lewis).

The VFL should have been better with it. I'm not even sure Collingwood got a slap on the wrist for their banner after the Long vilification?View attachment 1924102

If the AFL were serious about things, they'd be having a sinking find if sorts to cover costs arising from things like this and other court cases.

1710219885018.png

That was so bad I had to google it to make sure it was real.

F ME... Forget 'Do Better'. How about 'Do not be an absolutely despicable human'?

Which makes it all the more baffling people get up in arms over what happened 40 years ago

Spoken by someone who didn't experience it. You will never understand the impact, you will never understand the pain these players may have experienced. Let them heal.

No, some people just seem to have complete ignorance as to how our court systems work.

They must sleep through all the ads lawyers put out about seeking compensation for things.

When has “it was a completely different entity” been a legitimate defence for cases brought forward against companies, religious institutions, schools etc?

If it still exists they can be held liable for historical behaviour.

No AFL lawyer is going to be making an argument about it being a different entity unless they want to be laughed out of court.
Yeah thanks for the insight Cleaver

Great thing about the interwebs, it never forgets

Derek Peardon (born 24 September 1950) is a former Australian rules football player who played in the VFLbetween 1968 and 1971 for the Richmond Football Club.
During his time at Richmond one of his teammates was Kevin Sheedy. Sheedy credits Peardon with initiating his interest in indigenous Australia.
Yeah …initiating his interest.

Longy took him up to Melville island and other areas up far NT and sheeds really then started to educate himself about indigenous life and their football world.

As we know he came up with the idea for the Dreamtime game later on.

Next time you are at an Essendon function have the balls to say that to Michael Long’s face.
Was sitting behind him not long ago at Perth stadium during Dreamtime match.

Top bloke ..had a chat …as if I’m gunna bring those sort of subjects up to him in public ..you hero you

Yeah …initiating his interest.

Longy took him up to Melville island and other areas up far NT and sheeds really then started to educate himself about indigenous life and their football world.

As we know he came up with the idea for the Dreamtime game later on.
Deep down, you already know the story don’t you..
rather then healing, they’re going to run with the deny deny deny strategy to hold on that Dreamtime legacy.

Last edited:
Was sitting behind him not long ago at Perth stadium during Dreamtime match.

Top bloke ..had a chat …as if I’m gunna bring those sort of subjects up to him in public ..you hero you

Yes, we share the same ‘Mum’. Have the balls. Say hey Michael I think any historic racism claims from Aboriginals are cash grabs.

Deep down, you already know the story don’t you..
rather then healing, they’re going run with the deny deny deny strategy to hold on that Dreamtime legacy.

Well of course they will do that. You and I and everyone knows it.

I don’t necessarily agree with that strategy but at the same time I don’t want to see a tsunami of lawsuits costing the league millions of dollars in lawyer fees as past players from all minority groups queue up for years on end seeking cash payouts.

We might as well fold the entire god damn competition up completely if that is the future of the League.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back