NO TROLLS Racism Bombshell Claim - Carlton and Essendon Named

Remove this Banner Ad

What would they do if he did?

Probably turn away in shame that the supporters of a club where they had paved the way as standard bearers for all Aboriginals had learnt nothing.

Is this a VFL thing?

Excuse my ignorance but watching WAFL footy in the 70’s & 80’s, full of Indigenous and Ethnic football players, I don’t recall any racial taunts from my side of fence. They were household names and every kid wanted to be Stephen Michael or Les Fong or Peter Menaglio…
I remember as a kid when the news about Winmar came out just being shocked and wondering wtf was wrong with people over there.

I remember as a kid when the news about Winmar came out just being shocked and wondering wtf was wrong with people over there.
Maybe due to the fact we grew up over here going to school and playing sport with many indigenous and ethnic kids, we didn’t give a s**t what your background was.

Maybe due to the fact we grew up over here going to school and playing sport with many indigenous and ethnic kids, we didn’t give a s**t what your background was.
Very real possibility.
As referred to in here earlier international cricketers were also a lot wiser for similar reasons.
Victoria and more so the VFL was in its own litttle bubble and indigenous players certainly were a point of both fascination, and then the unsavoury stuff.
Indigenous players were few and far between here leading up to the krakouers era also, in fact it’s fair to say that on the back of Polly and Syd they basically opened the doors for the incredible indigenous talent we are so blessed with now.
But here too I can recall Lionel Rose being an acquaintance of my Grandfather who was a trainer with his own gym, rings etc and he too was subjected to a lot of very ordinary stuff.

I was called wog growing up in 70s/80s and wasn’t nice but nowhere near as bad what indigenous people have had to put up with. Even been disappointed with some of my ethnic acquaintances poor attitude to black people.

I believe indigenous players would’ve copped abuse from players in VFL from all clubs including my own.

But at the moment the only accusation against Sheedy is something he said at a 2017 sportsman’s night. Something that could quite easily have been misconstrued. Seems highly contradictory to what he’s actually done for indigenous players …ask Michael Long. Yet others here straight away label him a racist and shout down anyone saying otherwise about Sheedy. A tad unfair at this stage

But at the moment the only accusation against Sheedy is something he said at a 2017 sportsman’s night. Something that could quite easily have been misconstrued. Seems highly contradictory to what he’s actually done for indigenous players …ask Michael Long. Yet others here straight away label him a racist and shout down anyone saying otherwise about Sheedy. A tad unfair at this stage
BF was ready to lynch Clarkson based on some disputed, untested and anonymous allegations through the media. This is despite what other indigenous players said in support of him (Long included). We shouldn’t be surprised.

Is this a VFL thing?

Excuse my ignorance but watching WAFL footy in the 70’s & 80’s, full of Indigenous and Ethnic football players, I don’t recall any racial taunts from my side of fence. They were household names and every kid wanted to be Stephen Michael or Les Fong or Peter Menaglio…
It’s an Australian thing. Just look at the recent Voice vote. Imagine voting to deny your indigenous population a say, politically, because some lying gronk on the internet told you it was ‘aPaRThEiT!’ or ‘cOMmUnIsMs!’ and you got sucked in by it.

It’s the reality we face here…

You need to have balls for that response?

I dont believe thats where you were going with that at all.

I think it's all well and good to sit behind a keyboard saying Aboriginal people are just after a cash grab when you don't have to deal with any of the repercussions of making such a statement.

Those repercussions don't need to involve someone taking a swing, and in many ways the non-physical repercussions are going to be more long-lasting and deeply felt.

Seeing the hurt your words cause or the embarrassment of actually saying that sentence out loud to a real Aboriginal person and realising how truly dumb it sounds are going to hurt so much more. You can't explain it away as so-and-so is an angry dickhead for taking a swing, you have to sit with the fact that your views are pretty shitty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's all well and good to sit behind a keyboard saying Aboriginal people are just after a cash grab when you don't have to deal with any of the repercussions of making such a statement.

Those repercussions don't need to involve someone taking a swing, and in many ways the non-physical repercussions are going to be more long-lasting and deeply felt.

Seeing the hurt your words cause or the embarrassment of actually saying that sentence out loud to a real Aboriginal person and realising how truly dumb it sounds are going to hurt so much more. You can't explain it away as so-and-so is an angry dickhead for taking a swing, you have to sit with the fact that your views are pretty shitty.
You reckon the type of person who would say those kinds of things would care enough to be hurt if they were ignored..lol

C'mon, you know as well as I do what SOTY wanted to say from the tone used, but that would be hypocritical.

I spent my teenage years and into adulthood in a country town with a neighbouring Indigenous community and saw plenty of beatings from groups of Indigenous people on non Indigenous.
My own Wife, when only 14, was attacked by an indigenous woman with children of her own because she thought my then girlfriend laughing was directed at her for whatever reason.
At an end of year work breakup...

A few days earlier one of my Indigenous work colleagues held me down so his mate could shave my eyebrows and punched me in the temple when I tried to escape, all I did to deserve that was walk in on them sitting around a sandwich bag of white powder and refusing to have a whiff, I was 15. I later discovered it was liquid paper powder or some s**t.

Which is quite ironic considering racism towards them takes on greater meaning due to their own Experiences of assault etc. at the hands of white folk.
But not the other way around apparently.

Theres good and bad in all, but some have 'reasons'.

Last edited:
You need to have balls for that response?

I dont believe thats where you were going with that at all.

You don't need balls for the response, you need balls to have the courage to get off a keyboard and say it to someone's face. Don't ask me for my response if you want to answer for me.

Reckon Chris Lewis has a case too. Copped some shockers he said. Think he named some guys already too.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
And then he got hit with suspensions for relataliating.. what the man had to put up with back then was disgusting.

You reckon the type of person who would say those kinds of things would care enough to be hurt if they were ignored..lol

C'mon, you know as well as I do what SOTY wanted to say from the tone used, but that would be hypocritical.

I spent my teenage years and into adulthood in a country town with a neighbouring Indigenous community and saw plenty of beatings from groups of Indigenous people on non Indigenous.
My own Wife, when only 14, was attacked by an indigenous woman with children of her own because she thought my then girlfriend laughing was directed at her for whatever reason.
At an end of year work breakup...

Which is quite ironic considering racism towards them takes on greater meaning due to their own Experiences of assault etc. at the hands of white folk.
But not the other way around apparently.

Theres good and bad in all, but some have 'reasons'.

I've seen SOTY post plenty of times and wouldn't presume he meant violence as a response. Plenty of people talk the way Shane do online or in private settings where they're surrounded by people like them (e.g. not Aboriginal people) but where they don't have the worry about being challenged or experiencing any push-back or be held accountable for their views.

And yes I agree, there's shitty people in any community. We also know that low SES communities have more problems. So in order to help reduce, or eliminate, situations like you've outlined, it makes sense to improve the lives of the most disadvantaged in society.

I've seen SOTY post plenty of times and wouldn't presume he meant violence as a response. Plenty of people talk the way Shane do online or in private settings where they're surrounded by people like them (e.g. not Aboriginal people) but where they don't have the worry about being challenged or experiencing any push-back or be held accountable for their views.

And yes I agree, there's shitty people in any community. We also know that low SES communities have more problems. So in order to help reduce, or eliminate, situations like you've outlined, it makes sense to improve the lives of the most disadvantaged in society.
If they want it improved.

You've hit the nail on the head. People who are around other cultures or ethnic groups are far more tolerant of them as they are seen as "normal".

I never did. Would suggest everyone ITT didn't and doesn't so yeah, speak for yourself

That’s good to know that the abuse was considered terrible for its time as well. Makes the players and coaches who said that stuff a whole lot worse then.

Dr Eduard Bloch, google the name and pick whatever you want to read if you’re so skeptical of Wikipedia.

Bigots are perfectly capable of being friends with the type of people they hate, they just justify it by saying they are different or ‘one of the good ones’. It’s incredibly common and they are often tokenised by the bigots and will never really be considered to be an equal.

nonsense

It sounds good. But looking at the voice referendum voting by state, it's a hard argument to maintain.

When the subject is aboriginal affairs, I'd give far more weight and validity to the opinions of an actual aboriginal person. They've experienced life as an aboriginal, the vast majority here haven't.

Is smoocher banned?

The truth is somewhere in between completely innocent and totally racist. Sheedy, Danniher were neither saints nor criminals of the century, they were just normal white aussie men in position of power. They were neighter hillbilly nor mother teresas in a manner of speaking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back