Society/Culture Racism in Australia you have witnessed

Remove this Banner Ad

You clearly have no comprehension of the difference between racism and security for our country. Large proportions of refugees are criminals, terrorists, terrorist sympathisers or generally not fit to enter our country.

Anyway what is wrong with Manus Island? The conditions there are far greater than what our service men and women have to put up with.

Wow that escalated quickly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So is the sexism but I can only imagine what it's like for darker women
Apparently they're regularly being spat on, pushed in queues and abused and having their headscarves torn. I've never seen any of those things happen to any of the darker girls I've dated (a sizeable number).

Maybe I don't watch enough Today Tonight.

Given your wealth of experience attending AFL matches, can you give me a run down on how much racism has decreased (if at all) from your younger years?
Crowd behaviour, in general, is better now than it was way back when. The turning point was probably when they disallowed patrons from bringing their own grog. Especially long necks of beer, which used to be invariably carried into games wrapped in newspaper, in gladstone bags. It was not unusual for there to be all-in brawls after matches, if not during. Long-necks made handy clubs. Large cans were not quite so effective in this way, when they were introduced., but at least you could stand on them.

Racism has toned down gradually since about 1980, as awareness and education of even the lowest common denominator was raised. As with most other things, it took a while longer to sink in where I now live, in the country. To an extent, it still bubbles below the surface at country games (of which I see more nowadays), but is rarely heard.

Apparently they're regularly being spat on, pushed in queues and abused and having their headscarves torn. I've never seen any of those things happen to any of the darker girls I've dated (a sizeable number).
What's a sizeable number?

Asian guy says not to worry about it, nothing can be done. Tellingly, me and the other white folks were shocked and distressed, but the non-white people who witnessed it were fairly non-plussed. One Indian guy said "It happens a lot".

I had no idea there was a plague of green milk tipping going on in Australia.

The Primary School I went to in Melbourne had a huge Greek, Macedonian (even 35 years ago they had to remind everyone they were separate), Italian and South African population. White Aussie kids were very much the minority. Every day the white Aussie kids got picked on.

Sounds like an excuse for apathy to me.

It's actually the opposite. Apathy is lazy, passive thinking. What I am referring to is an active, positive process of controlling your thinking.

Your reality is the intersection of the world 'out there' and your perception and interpretation of it. There is an infinite amount of data that can be filtered to make up your reality. You can consciously choose to focus on the things that bring you joy not pain. It seems to me that the people who do this have a better experience in life than those who see themselves as victims.

I'm not generally a fan of Ellen but I liked what she did after the Las Vegas shootings.

It's actually the opposite. Apathy is lazy, passive thinking. What I am referring to is an active, positive process of controlling your thinking.

Your reality is the intersection of the world 'out there' and your perception and interpretation of it. There is an infinite amount of data that can be filtered to make up your reality. You can consciously choose to focus on the things that bring you joy not pain. It seems to me that the people who do this have a better experience in life than those who see themselves as victims.

I'm not generally a fan of Ellen but I liked what she did after the Las Vegas shootings.

Yeah I get your drift there. There are people who seek out negativity and wonder why they are miserable. The world has many problems and one person can't wear the burden of all of those.

I guess I was more focused on those that actually experience racism first hand in a way that effects their lives, opposed to those who get vicariously upset.

Yet those people do have the power to help change attitudes, and it is somewhat incumbent upon them to do so. "Bad things happen when good people do nothing".

I think one of the more interesting things is how much more offended a white person gets at the notion of being racist.

If you call a white person racist they will flip out and defend themselves until they turn blue.

If you call a subcontinental or Asian racist they will just say 'yeah, I know, so what?'

Is it about cultural acceptance of racism?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been called a white campaigner and told to get back to my own country and I was physically threatened and challenged because I didn't want to sign a sorry book when I was living in Canberra.

When I was about 15 or 16 I was at the local shopping centre on a Friday night with footy team mates. There was a family of Asians walking past, they had just been to the bakery and the mother had a french stick held in front of her. One of my team mates walked up and grabbed it, asked, 'how you going China?, broke it in half and called her a low flying pig. It was ******* disgraceful.

That was one of only two instances I've seen really overt racism in my life. The other was in Queanbeyan out the front of a shopping centre. An Asian women was waiting with her shopping for a cab and a half pissed looking, feral, 20 something couple, launched into her verbally. People were just looking anywhere but there.

I eventually had enough and told them to shut up, they then started on me.

Last edited:
I saw some Sydney games that Adam Goodes played in; does that count?
Feral West Coast fans eh? ;) I went to see Adelaide vs. Sydney in 2013. The Swans were up by 80 points late in the 3rd quarter and a offended Crows fan racially abused Adam Goodes (who was too far away and didn't hear it) and stormed out of AAMI stadium.

Last edited:
In Asia racism is more entrenched over generations, with a backdrop of historical disharmony and violence.

Australia's is more based on ignorance

It's a cultural hangover.

It was only 4 generations back when this country was indoctrinated with race patriotism.

Guy who used to live next door to me said to my mum, "I wouldn't talk to you if you were black." His mum's a cop so I guess it has something to do with that plus being a ******* ignorant dickhead. This other guy once said to me his friend went to Carnarvon and came back a racist after what he saw, "the things they get away with". Here's the problem, though. You can say they [and I know he was talking about the aboriginals] aren't all like that and they'll say something like, "Yeah, but a lot are." or they'll point out the higher crime rate or something to that effect, and anything you say to explain it will just be brushed off as "excuses" and "PC bullshit". So, what on earth do you do then? I would love for people like him and the ex-neighbour to actually meet some of the awesome aboriginal people I've met at university, but I'm not sure even that'd work. Contact hypotheses only works when a lot of interactions are positive and with aboriginal people it seems to be that most people's experiences are usually negative. The racism against them in my experience is far more overt than any other minority group in this country.

What IS 'reality'?

I was just walking down Elizabeth Street in the Melbourne CBD on my lunch break.

Asian Australian man walking next to me carrying a green drink, a milkshake type of affair.

An Anglo guy marches up, grabs the drink and pours it over the Asian guy's head and shouts "F^&* Off Out Of Straya" then keeps going at speed into the crowd.

Myself and other folks stop and try and help the poor Asian guy, who now has green milk drink all over his suit, offer to call the cops, goafter the guy.

Asian guy says not to worry about it, nothing can be done. Tellingly, me and the other white folks were shocked and distressed, but the non-white people who witnessed it were fairly non-plussed. One Indian guy said "It happens a lot".

The Asian Australian man wasn't physically hurt, but it was most definitely a racist attack. In broad daylight in the middle of the Melbourne CBD.

This is what happens when anti-immigrant rhetoric and politics is not only normalised, but boasted and made the centerpiece of government policy.

This is what happens when saying "swamped by Asians" wins you votes.

Disgraceful.

What racist incidents have you personally witnessed in Australia?

/r/thathappened

Incidentally being surrounded and called a racist white dog campaigner because I don’t smoke was also interesting....or is that nor racist because I have privilege or something??

More to my point of focusing on something and it creates your reality, the HRC will find racism even when it doesn't exist.

More to my point of focusing on something and it creates your reality, the HRC will find racism even when it doesn't exist.

Mildly racist s**t like this happens all the time, though. Having said that, I don't think they're even consciously aware of what they're doing half the time. It's not like the elevator guy's gonna high five the woman next to him, "Ha! We showed that blackie didn't we!?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back