Society/Culture Racism in Australia you have witnessed

Remove this Banner Ad

Then they go back to their old country and realize they aren't "Croatian" or whatever. The old country has moved on and they have stuck to traditions and customs that are now quaint and old fashioned.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's a real thing. In some it's just subtle but look at Northern Ireland some still run around 'King Billy' this and that Ann extreme form kings Billy's descendants aren't even the royal family any more

Just reflecting the racism described herein is mainly rantings of other dispossessed or unlucky groups.

Intitutionalised racism is the wors kind but government and corporates make efforts to not be this. Things are improving

Then they go back to their old country and realize they aren't "Croatian" or whatever. The old country has moved on and they have stuck to traditions and customs that are now quaint and old fashioned.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep exactly. There's lots of case studies in academia about this and how migrants feel attached to their previous homes, but when they return, they are seen as the outsiders and everyone else has culturally moved on to some degree (which happens everywhere in some way, shape or form), so they also feel that isolation. s**t spot to be in.

Some research actually suggests the children of migrants have an even tougher time since they are taught a culture they are taught to identify as the 'previous' culture by family, sometimes categorised as whatever that culture is by locals and are torn between the two without having had the lived experience of growing up in the previous nation of their parents. Tricky stuff.

Intitutionalised racism is the wors kind but government and corporates make efforts to not be this. Things are improving
Nor a popular opinion with many but I really hate the term institutionalised racism. It seems like chasing ghosts as Shapiro puts it, and is particularly the case in Australia. There's a case from argue regarding indigenous affairs due to policies implemented in certain areas, but that's localised in many ways too. Language is important. I don't think that term is right, but I understand the arguments people put forward regarding it.

At high school we had this new kid who was from Zaire (The Congo) and we were playing basketball and he fouled me but it was a pretty soft foul so no biggie but this other kid who we hanged around with just started saying racially abusing him, called him a fellow and said he stinks and all fellows stink.

Me and this other dude were both shocked at what we were hearing and you could see that the kid from Africa was pretty upset. I still feel pretty ashamed at myself though because I said and did nothing.

Greeks are a bit like that. I have seen in Greece the contempt they have for Greeks who left in the 50s for Australia and their families. Almost as if they are traitors. re quaint and old fashioned, even better example is how the French view those from Quebec.

Hell, we've had people in this thread saying the encounter racism quite often? Are they lying or is their experience just different from yours.

Well kidsimples and mal would find racism in an eclipse not to mention the test pattern on tv.

At high school we had this new kid who was from Zaire (The Congo) and we were playing basketball and he fouled me but it was a pretty soft foul so no biggie but this other kid who we hanged around with just started saying racially abusing him, called him a fellow and said he stinks and all fellows stink.

Me and this other dude were both shocked at what we were hearing and you could see that the kid from Africa was pretty upset. I still feel pretty ashamed at myself though because I said and did nothing.
I know what you mean. We had an influx of Sudanese people in my hometown when I was in high school.

Only two came to my year level, the majority went to the public schools. It was quite sad how everybody else ostracised them. I became friends with one of them and always invited him to play games with us. It was sad when I became friends with him on FB later on and noticed I didn't have a single mutual friend from my year level with him.

Nor a popular opinion with many but I really hate the term institutionalised racism. It seems like chasing ghosts as Shapiro puts it, and is particularly the case in Australia. There's a case from argue regarding indigenous affairs due to policies implemented in certain areas, but that's localised in many ways too. Language is important. I don't think that term is right, but I understand the arguments people put forward regarding it.

What Im saying is theres not many reports of racism from authority - apart from the police stuff

I had no idea there was a plague of green milk tipping going on in Australia.

The Primary School I went to in Melbourne had a huge Greek, Macedonian (even 35 years ago they had to remind everyone they were separate), Italian and South African population. White Aussie kids were very much the minority. Every day the white Aussie kids got picked on.

I was of the anthropological opinion Greek, Italian and Macedonian's were "white" also.

lol. Governments just LOVE institutionalised racism. See right to negotiate, jobs reserved for aborigines, acceptance of arranged marriages by certain communities re immigration, spending on multicultural programs etc etc.

I have a good one.

A few years ago me and some friends wandered down to the local BP late at night to grab some snacks.

There was a black African guy working at the counter at the time (very dark black) as we were at the counter paying for our stuff there was a pair of aboriginals at the back fridges being shady, so the guy at the counter informed them that he had called the police.

They then proceeded to hurl abuse at him as they proclaimed their innocence as they left the store saying such things as "this campaigners blacker than me".

Is that the sort of story you want? Or were you more looking for the white on non-white racism?

Is that the sort of story you want? Or were you more looking for the white on non-white racism?
You should read the thread before posting. You will look a lot less silly.

I was walking through Northbridge with my wife (Asian) and some moron aggressively comes up and says "don't date them, kill them"

I had already prepared to throw a punch due to his aggressive approach but then I realised he was quite right in the head.

another was Medicare giving my mother-in-law grief about her card. They wanted her to sell her house and buy another, to get a job despite being a self funded retiree etc etc. I then asked the to put there demands in writing to be submitted to the human rights commission and then suddenly their demands were only what was required for white people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greeks are a bit like that. I have seen in Greece the contempt they have for Greeks who left in the 50s for Australia and their families. Almost as if they are traitors. re quaint and old fashioned, even better example is how the French view those from Quebec.
Narcissism of small differences.

My ex Taiwanese manager used to rag on Aussies all the time and throw up stereotypes of lazy, dumb and they all piss in their money against a wall. I was however exempt as I'm only 2nd Gen Australian.

Saw an Indian grandpa with a pram today get called a ******* idiot by a white guy in a holden wagon. He braked to avoid scuttling them near a blindish corner.

What is with pram jaywalking? Crossing was probably 50 meters away.

Have seen this neglect a few times recently. Probably worse than drivers that think larger vehicles are slower.

Every single day of secondary school ( private, catholic ) I was abused, my parents refused service at at a roadhouse in 1977 because my mother is aboriginal. All day, every day at high school I was 'racially abused'. It was something you just took on the chin, no need for retaliation, you just plain moved on with your life. As I do today.
I think the taunts at my mother has only been the time i saw red. I've been fairly lucky since im pretty light skinned i get asked "where are you from?" which is a bit of a laugh.

Can't imagine what guys went through 40-50 years ago however.

Every single day of secondary school ( private, catholic ) I was abused, my parents refused service at at a roadhouse in 1977 because my mother is aboriginal. All day, every day at high school I was 'racially abused'. It was something you just took on the chin, no need for retaliation, you just plain moved on with your life. As I do today.

it breaks my heart hearing this

It's a real thing. In some it's just subtle but look at Northern Ireland some still run around 'King Billy' this and that Ann extreme form kings Billy's descendants aren't even the royal family any more

Just reflecting the racism described herein is mainly rantings of other dispossessed or unlucky groups.

What exactly do you mean by institutionalised racism and what evidence do you have to support it's existence ?

The whole idea of institutionalised racism is just a way that Marxist try to explain why some ethnic groups earn more on average than others . It fits nicely into the Marxist belief that the world is made up of the oppressed and the oppressors.

The reality is that the pay gap exists because of cultural differences within different ethnic groups . Some ethnic groups just have a better cultural attitude towards work and education than others .

What exactly do you mean by institutionalised racism and what evidence do you have to support it's existence ?

The whole idea of institutionalised racism is just a way that Marxist try to explain why some ethnic groups earn more on average than others . It fits nicely into the Marxist belief that the world is made up of the oppressed and the oppressors.

The reality is that the pay gap exists because of cultural differences within different ethnic groups . Some ethnic groups just have a better cultural attitude towards work and education than others .

Considering I said there was none described in this thread, meaning perhaps there isn't much still around, I'm not quite sure what you want me to say?

It has existed though

given racism is enshrined in Australia's constitution, in our laws, a main reason our colonies formed a federation, our first law passed was the white Australia policy and our tax distribution system didn't count indigenous people....etc etc...........I think it is hard to deny racism is institutionalised and our worst perpetrator is our government.

but yes, some ethnic groups work harder than others and this does result in different economic outcomes.

Ah, the old 'they're just lazy' argument. What culture does your muddled thinking come from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back