Play Nice Racism within the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

thephenom

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
I get so fired up when i hear there is still players being racially vilified at games.

The clubs and their executives are not going to change the culture of supporters attending games. It wont happen.

The best chance of stamping out this racism culture that seems to be evident all over this country is for THE SUPPORTERS of ALL AFL clubs to make a stand in the crowd when these things occur.

Stand up, call it out. Not just one person but a GROUP. Shame these people. Get them kicked out of the stadium. Dont sit by and let it happen. WE need to make this change.

My cousin and I sat near a Doggies fan calling Daw derogatory names a few years ago, meanwhile Daw kicked 6 and tore them apart. We called him out after the first couple of times and he invited us outside to fight, but his wife dragged him away after that and we were with our grandfather so didn't want to just punch on in the stands.
I can't understand it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaming people rarely makes them reconsider their position. Most of the time it just makes them feel ostracised and reinforces their belief that they're somehow victimised. They're wrong to think that way but if we are trying to change peoples perceptions we need to reconsider our approach to the problem.

Education and assimilation are always more effective than shame and banishment when it comes to countering racism.

By all means if you see something unacceptable happening at the footy, speak up. But also be aware that it's not going to solve any long term problems.

Calling out racism makes you feel better but doesn't do jack tbh. The best result by far I've seen stop racism is involvement with different communities. This doesn't happen enough and both sides are to blame for that.

Racism at the footy is a particular shame because footy is the best medium for interaction between white Australians and the aboriginal community (in particular). 98% of my personal communication with aboriginal people has been through a footy club, and so 98% of my interaction has been positive.

This principle applies to nearly all minority cultures, the problem is there is very little common ground to find with 'feared' groups like Muslims. Sport can be that common ground.

My cousin and I sat near a Doggies fan calling Daw derogatory names a few years ago, meanwhile Daw kicked 6 and tore them apart. We called him out after the first couple of times and he invited us outside to fight, but his wife dragged him away after that and we were with our grandfather so didn't want to just punch on in the stands.

it's hard to believe someone would behave like this.

FTR 18C was introduced for exactly this reason. I don't like 18C but don't like utensil heads either.

Why did you
Why did you not involve security? I reckon you are making that up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. It's up to the other people around them to call them out for it. I've done it to a Hawthorn supporter a few years ago and would do it again.
i think this is the best way. when someone from your own fan base let's you know you're out of line you're more likely to take it on board as long as you do it in a manner that is relatively noninflammatory (a lot of people don't realize the importance of that last part).

if a crows fan went up to a port fan to confront him about that same thing I think that ends in a full on brawl

Why did you

Why did you not involve security? I reckon you are making that up.

What, because no WB fan could act that way in your biased mind?
I didn't involve security because his wife dragged him away after he asked us to go fight him. I was also angry enough to tell him to shut the hell up and that turned his anger towards me immediately. It was in the Dogs' members area where my family has 5 reserved seats and those around us were happy to see him leave as well.

I'm happy to say that I've only encountered racism at the footy very rarely in the past decade or so and every time something of that type has been yelled, the majority of the crowd has instinctively turned and jeered the person doing it. I think the majority are pretty good with this type of thing but there will sadly always be morons at the football. Shout 'em down, call security, it's the only things we can do as fans. The next step is for the clubs and AFL to institute a punishment or counselling. Every team has or has had indigenous players and while it shouldn't be the players' responsibility, you'd think if anybody guilty of this behaviour had to sit down and listen to a Shaun Burgoyne or Steve Motlop or Paddy Ryder explain why it's not on, they might learn something.

What, because no WB fan could act that way in your biased mind?
I didn't involve security because his wife dragged him away after he asked us to go fight him. I was also angry enough to tell him to shut the hell up and that turned his anger towards me immediately. It was in the Dogs' members area where my family has 5 reserved seats and those around us were happy to see him leave as well.
Every club has bad supporters mate. WB too. You should have told security, otherwise I would have snotted him.

Firstly I am against racism and racist abuse so everything I say is from that starting point

But we will NEVER stamp out racism just like we will never stamp our all other forms of abuse, hatred and vilification.
Everyone makes racism the big sin but all abuse is wrong so if we allow any other form of abuse then we are kidding ourselves that racism will stop

We tolerate all sorts of abuse and hate in society and the footy field is a reflection of society.
Racism will not stop just like all sorts of other societal problems wont stop so all the hand wringing is pointless

The best we can do is educate and make some tough rules and move on instead of revisiting this every year

in one sense why would racism stop when footballers still continue to punch each other illegally which is actually assault
The best way is for the crowd to tell the person to shut up and maybe embarrass them

Considering the thousands that actually go to the footy overall I don't believe racism occurs that frequently

Passion at the football is fantastic.

Jeering the umps, a bit of verbal argy bargy between opposition fans is great but it must be done with taste and in the realms of public acceptance. Racial slurs, profanities and threatening behaviour all don't belong at the football. You don't walk down the street carrying on with foul language and racist crap so why some think being in a crowd at a football games makes it OK to do that is beyond me.

Watch the game, cheer, roar, boo, appreciate the game and the players, respect your fellow fans rights and once the final siren blows say well done or bad luck to the opposition supporter sitting nearest to you, then leave in safety knowing that you're privileged to do so when you compare it with the European and English Premier Leagues and the segregated viewing experience a game of that is. Above all don't stuff it up for the rest of us who love the AFL game at it is and has always been.

It is an absolute disgrace that this still goes on. I've seen it first hand from both Hawthorn and opposition supporters, and whilst I have told Hawthorn supporters to stop, I'm ashamed that I didn't do more. The 2012 grad final was a particularly eye opening experience for me.

Part of the issue is people pretending they haven't seen it/ doesn't happen with their team/ their ground. It happens all over Australia, every fan base has them, every fan needs to make it clear that it is not acceptable.

I see and hear a fair bit of racism at the footy. I go to about a dozen Port games and a handful of Crows games each year, and it's rare to not hear at least some form of racial vilification at every game. Usually I hear older supporters complain about any Indigenous recognition at the game, including the video we play before every Port home game to highlight the role of the Indigenous community in PAFC. It's always just one or two people, and while they are not necessarily trying to be malicious, I really wish they understood what they are doing better and tried to understand the amazing contributions that Indigenous footballers make to the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back