Social Science Racism

Remove this Banner Ad

You're looking at it from the position of a white man who is in the racial majority, and is therefore rarely on the receiving end of racial abuse.

Go spend a few years in a country like China or Hong Kong.

Edit: Was gonna throw Gwai Lo in there for to emphasise the point, but figured against it.

Or maybe I'm looking at from the position of a mostly white person who grew up in a housing commission area full of the kind of (if I'm aloud to use this term) aboriginals that give the rest of them the bad name and where racial stereotypes come from, and I can tell you that they definitely represent the majority of the indigenous population in the area, and that I've been called a "white ****" unprovoked more times than I care for and many more times than I have been verbally racist back.

I would never get a white pride tattoo of course, but I think you are being ignorant to the strong links between "culture" and "race".

What Australia aimed for was "a melting pot"

But instead we got "a salad bowl" :(

Multiculturalism is divisive, Asians only hang around Asians because they find Australians "threatening"

Its also a common belief: the Australians (the English/ European, Anglos) are a bunch clicky pricks

Yes but certain races are superior at certain things though you'd have to admit. Black people are (generally) better at running and white people are (generally again) better at swimming. What I have a hard time figuring out is why white people are mainly quarterbacks in the NFL? Any guesses anyone?

Cam Newton and Michael Vick say Hi.

Carry over from racist attitudes that black people weren't smart enough to play QB.

Yeah but if you did an IQ test of people of African descent and compared them to white americans the white americans would probably come out with a higher average. And if you looked at the stats for people convicted of violent crimes black people would probably be higher represented. So in a way you could say that people of African descent are "violent" and "dumb". But try getting away with saying that in public! :)

Why could you say that?

You're looking at it from the position of a white man who is in the racial majority, and is therefore rarely on the receiving end of racial abuse.

Go spend a few years in a country like China or Hong Kong.

Edit: Was gonna throw Gwai Lo in there for to emphasise the point, but figured against it.

Yo! For any Gwai lo who is feeling ugly, and insecure

Go to parts of china who never see white people

They will take snap shots of you like you are all Hollywood celebrities

Unfortunately the feeling ain't reciprocated in Australia for Chinese visitors who gave me the welcome of 'country's full, or: go back to your own country' when I first set foot here in Australia

^ What a bunch of charming ****ers you guys are! :rolleyes:

When I went to Africa I was shocked by how many of the locals believed that white people were inherently superior to blacks. The whites living there were all relatively wealthy and what they saw of the western world seemed a Utopia, so why wouldn't they think they were inferior?

You just can't equate black pride to white pride. There isn't anything to 'accept' once you've been ascribed as a white person.

Why could you say that?

Ok, way to completely ignore the point of my statement champ! :rolleyes:

And on the overrepresentation of honkies at QB: surely nowadays colour wouldn't be an issue with sportsmen, the best would get chosen regardless yeah? (And yes I know there is Michael Vick and that other bloke but it's not exactly a cross section of the NFL players is it?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or how about how popular basketball is with the Chinese

even though:

White and Black people are the only people who grow tall enough or become athletic enough to play the sport professionally

Basketball lost its popularity in Australia because of the issue of 'heightism' because Australians tend to like sports and sportsmen they can "relate" to, ie not being too tall or fast

Yeah but if you did an IQ test of people of African descent and compared them to white americans the white americans would probably come out with a higher average. And if you looked at the stats for people convicted of violent crimes black people would probably be higher represented. So in a way you could say that people of African descent are "violent" and "dumb". But try getting away with saying that in public! :)

Jesus Christ, I can't believe people think like this. It's astounding to me.

It is worst to the first generation migrants than the ones who were born / went to school here

The first generation migrants also do not get along well with the ones that were born in Australia

Or how about how popular basketball is with the Chinese

even though:

White and Black people are the only people who grow tall enough or become athletic enough to play the sport professionally

Basketball lost its popularity in Australia because of the issue of 'heightism' because Australians tend to like sports and sportsmen they can "relate" to, ie not being too tall or fast

What?

Basketball lost its popularity because it disappeared from FTA TV and the novelty value of the late 80s/early 90s boom period wore off.

Nobody has any trouble 'relating' to Andrew Bogut, and no one had any trouble 'relating' to Luc Longley, Andrew Gaze, Mark Bradtke..

Does that not make you an African-Australian, or African-American-Australian?

What happens if you relocate to Africa and have kids - will they be African-American-Australian-Africans? :D
African-American Australian! :p

My dad is African American, so I'm not an 'African-Australian'.

A huge difference being African-American then just African. Totally different history and hardships!

Funny thing is I like African women, so who knows one day I may have kids who are indeed African-American-Australian-African... if thats possible? :p

Holy s**t I'm confused! :confused::D But do you regard yourself as an Aussie out of interest? I was talking to a bloke I work with who's grandparents are Maltese, and he thinks he's Maltese! His parents were born here, he was born here, he's never been to Malta, he drinks beer, loves AC/DC, plays cricket, barracks for Carlton, how much more Aussie can you get?

Ok, way to completely ignore the point of my statement champ! :rolleyes:

And on the overrepresentation of honkies at QB: surely nowadays colour wouldn't be an issue with sportsmen, the best would get chosen regardless yeah? (And yes I know there is Michael Vick and that other bloke but it's not exactly a cross section of the NFL players is it?)

You had a point?

That's correct it doesn't matter, so what did you expect? That all QB's would now be black. Does it have to be 50-50?

Holy s**t I'm confused! :confused::D But do you regard yourself as an Aussie out of interest? I was talking to a bloke I work with who's grandparents are Maltese, and he thinks he's Maltese! His parents were born here, he was born here, he's never been to Malta, he drinks beer, loves AC/DC, plays cricket, barracks for Carlton, how much more Aussie can you get?

Considering their supporter base might not have been the best example, but you are right he is an Australian, as are 1 of my nieces and 2 of my nephews who were fathered by an Australian of Maltese descent.

It's kind of funny when you think about it because as long as my nephews have a son and their sons have sons and so on they will all keep the same last name, which is Azzopardi, yet they will be 3rd and 4th generation Australians.

My mother was born in England, came over here with her family over 50 years ago. Dad's family is around 4 or 5 generation Australian.
So do I call myself English/Australian or Australian?
This is what confuses me about 2nd, 3rd & 4th gen people that come from European countries that persist in waving flags at the tennis amongst other "distant" misplaced patriotism?
I'd be particularly interested to hear from any posters that do this, not judging them, just would like to know why they believe in doing this?

I would suggest it is strong parental influence and their desire to respect and maintain their cultural differences in their new country.

When the poms, Irish etc came to Australia they bought their culture with them too, but it wasn't that dramatically different, the language was the same so was the food , cricket etc, nothing really changed all that much except the location. With other nationalities there were vast differences in every aspect of life and I suspect their was a desire to hang on to those differences as well as adopting those of a new country.

I would suggest, and I am by no means an expert, that most love Australia and their country of origin. There's just a few toss bags out there, and thank god it is the minority, that cause issues based on their ancestory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back