Social Science Racism

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering their supporter base might not have been the best example, but you are right he is an Australian, as are 1 of my nieces and 2 of my nephews who were fathered by an Australian of Maltese descent.

It's kind of funny when you think about it because as long as my nephews have a son and their sons have sons and so on they will all keep the same last name, which is Azzopardi, yet they will be 3rd and 4th generation Australians.

Ahahaha! :thumbsu: And yeah well I guess I'm about 5th or 6th generation Aussie but my surname is Irish, same thing really, it's just seen as an Aussie surname though as no doubt Azzopardi will be anyway.

But yeah, I guess people confuse being eg Italian and of Italian descent, shits me.

Holy s**t I'm confused! :confused::D But do you regard yourself as an Aussie out of interest? I was talking to a bloke I work with who's grandparents are Maltese, and he thinks he's Maltese! His parents were born here, he was born here, he's never been to Malta, he drinks beer, loves AC/DC, plays cricket, barracks for Carlton, how much more Aussie can you get?
Haha, cheers Kaysee!

Well I've lived here over half my life, have an Aussie accent and 'feel' Australian if you know what I mean?

Love cricket, love footy, love this country.

But I also love Gridiron, basketball, American Hip-Hop and love the US as well.

So yeah, I consider myself an Aussie, yet Im proud of my African-American heritage and obviously relate to people of African-American heritage easier.

So yeah its weird, I identify as African-American Australian! Pretty rare breed I think..

So yeah its weird, I identify as African-American Australian! Pretty rare breed I think..

Kyrie Irving is the same, except i think he refers to his heritage as Australian-American African-American

P.S Kyrie Irving is an NBA player in case people don't know.

Haha, cheers Kaysee!

Well I've lived here over half my life, have an Aussie accent and 'feel' Australian if you know what I mean?

Love cricket, love footy, love this country.

But I also love Gridiron, basketball, American Hip-Hop and love the US as well.

So yeah, I consider myself an Aussie, yet Im proud of my African-American heritage and obviously relate to people of African-American heritage easier.

Yeah well the bolded bit is the important bit. What annoys me is when people acknowledge their heritage (perfectly understandable to do that btw) but do it at the expense of appreciating the country they live in, that's ****ed imo.

And liking gridiron, bball and American hip hop makes you a typical Australian too in a lot of ways!

Do you expect for everyone to eventually have Anglo names here?

No and that's my point. In 100 years there are still going to be Azzopardis, Arceris, Nguyens, Youssefs and Dengs yet they are going to be as Australian as Smiths and Jones.

And in regards to people celebrating a heritage that they don't really have a link to, how many people seem to find some Irish blood in their family tree when St Patties day comes around?

Yeah, gun rookie. He's the opposite he grew up in America, has an American accent and I believe doesnt have any family here?

Still wants to play for Australia in international basketball though... Weird. :s

Yeah sorry, i meant the same as in African-American Aussie, rather than where you live and were born and stuff.

Maybe its cos he knows he won't get games for America haha.

Yeah well the bolded bit is the important bit. What annoys me is when people acknowledge their heritage (perfectly understandable to do that btw) but do it at the expense of appreciating the country they live in, that's ****ed imo.

And liking gridiron, bball and American hip hop makes you a typical Australian too in a lot of ways!

Haha, yeah I'm suprised by the amount of people who are my age and follow NFL, NBA and Hip Hop!? I didn't know if its just cause they were hanging out with me. :p

But quite a few people are into it which makes things easier. :thumbsu:

Yeah sorry, i meant the same as in African-American Aussie, rather than where you live and were born and stuff.

Maybe its cos he knows he won't get games for America haha.

Oh ok. Yeah haha.. He'd be no chance at a point guard spot in the US team. Fair enough if he wants to play international ball. Sorta doing a 'Kevin Pietersen' or whatever. But as long as hes got passion for Australia then good on him.

So I logged into facebook today for the first time in a few days and 4 of the first 5 status' I saw were telling immigrants to piss off back to their own country (some in even more colourful language). I assume it was in response to the UWA research about people flying the Australian flag on their car being more inclined to be more racist. Each of these status' is attracting 20-30 likes as well.

The overwhelming amount of people with a hatred for these 'immigrants' is beyond infuriating. How on earth can someone who has grown up in a country such as Australia hold such spite for ethnic groups who they (in my experience) don't even interact with.

So I logged into facebook today for the first time in a few days and 4 of the first 5 status' I saw were telling immigrants to piss off back to their own country (some in even more colourful language). I assume it was in response to the UWA research about people flying the Australian flag on their car being more inclined to be more racist. Each of these status' is attracting 20-30 likes as well.

The overwhelming amount of people with a hatred for these 'immigrants' is beyond infuriating. How on earth can someone who has grown up in a country such as Australia hold such spite for ethnic groups who they (in my experience) don't even interact with.

Thats the important word that people forget to read or judging by their borderline literate posts, they don't know the meaning of.

We get what you deserve though, 1 million people watch today tonight each night, News Corp (HS, Daily Telegraph) have dumbed down the population and ramped up intolerance its hardly a surprise that it is actually growing in this country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats the important word that people forget to read or judging by their borderline literate posts, they don't know the meaning of.

We get what you deserve though, 1 million people watch today tonight each night, News Corp (HS, Daily Telegraph) have dumbed down the population and ramped up intolerance its hardly a surprise that it is actually growing in this country.

This. Fear (in this case, of immigrants) sells newspapers, and that is what we are subject to every day. It's just like how 'boat people' get/got a lot of media, despite the fact that most come by plane.

This. Fear (in this case, of immigrants) sells newspapers, and that is what we are subject to every day. It's just like how 'boat people' get/got a lot of media, despite the fact that most come by plane.

Yeah that's it. And I don't have a clue about the figures, but what would the percentages of people who come by boat versus those who fly here? (We grew here you flew here! ;):D)

Some of the status' i've been seeing are downright disgusting..

One of my 'mates' said something along the lines of 'Cant wait to spit on all the taxi drivers, security guards and servo people'.

Hope he doesn't need a taxi when hes too pissed on Australia day, doesn't get into any trouble at an event and needs a security guard to help him or goes to a servo and expects to be served.

Some of the comments and likes these type of comments are getting is also pretty disappointing.

One of my 'mates' said something along the lines of 'Cant wait to spit on all the taxi drivers, security guards and servo people'.

Hope he doesn't need a taxi when hes too pissed on Australia day, doesn't get into any trouble at an event and needs a security guard to help him or goes to a servo and expects to be served.

Some of the comments and likes these type of comments are getting is also pretty disappointing.
that whole post reeks of bullshit.........youre just making stuff up to support your propoganda

Why are they still your friends if you are so disgusted?

[youtube]TFnnupdrSaE[/youtube]

I don't know if you are the biggest w***er on big footy but if having lots of "friends" on a website is more important than quality of friends then you sound like a bit of a tool.

Make a stand today and ditch em.

Do it for Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back