Racist Aussies?

Remove this Banner Ad

No, we just tend to live by 'sticks and stones' a bit more in my experience. Some people can be a little too precious, as evidenced by some of the threads on this board!

In my experience, Australians are more racist than I first thought (having gone to a very multicultural highschool, I didn't realise racism existed in this country until I got into the real world.) However I wouldn't say we're more racist than in Britain. On my last trip to England, I heard a great deal of racism directed towards Pakistanis. Maybe it's about the same. Unfortunately there are racist people everywhere.

Originally posted by London Dave
No, we just tend to live by 'sticks and stones' a bit more in my experience. Some people can be a little too precious, as evidenced by some of the threads on this board!

What, you mean the native Aussies?

In my experience, RL fans in the UK are less racist than their counterparts in Oz, but then, they are far more enlightened in every way.

I would say that Aussies are less racist than your typical Georgian - US version.

Originally posted by evade28
and arent u being racist by saying that one particular race is more racist then any other????

This is a recipe to disappear up your own fundament, or maybe that's what you're saying.

By the dictionary definition there are few racists in Australia.

By generally accepted definitition everyone in the world is a racist but very few have what it takes to admit to it.

We were born with the ability to make choices ie to discriminate. We discriminate many times daily. Our discrimination naturally involves race. To deny it is to deny life itself.

Originally posted by Frodo

By generally accepted definitition everyone in the world is a racist but very few have what it takes to admit to it.

We were born with the ability to make choices ie to discriminate. We discriminate many times daily. Our discrimination naturally involves race. To deny it is to deny life itself.

Still living in Western Australia I see.

Scarily, I sort of agree with Frodo. I try as hard as I can not to be prejudiced, but if I see say a Maori guy coming down a dark lane I will be more scared than if I see a white guy. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, I know that perception is ugly, but it is my reaction.

HOWEVER, there's nothing inborn about it. It's been drummed into me by stereotype. It can be drummed out.

For those that haven't seen the dictionary definition.........courtesy of Cambridge International Dictionary of English

RACISM
The belief that people's qualities are influenced by their race and that the members of other races are not as good as the members of your own, which results in the other races being treated unfairly

RACIST
A racist is someone who believes that other races are not as good as their own and therefore treats them unfairly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You open your eyes and see a black fella. You say to yourself "he's an aborigine". That was a racist judgement. You are a racist. And so are we all.

I see you have the Frod version of all dictionaries, ie. the version that fits whatever Frodo thinks.

You open your eyes and see a black fella. You say to yourself "he's an aborigine". That was a racist judgement. You are a racist. And so are we all.
To identify someone as an aborigine isn't necessarily racist. But to then assume that because they're an aborigine that they are inferior to a white person is racist.

Hear, hear.

Racism exists in all cultures and all races.

I know many racist whites, I know racist non whites.

Religions are racist to other types of religions.

Regadless of what these idiotic left winged social engineers think, it will never be stamped out till the human race has disappeared from this Earth.

Great issue to debate, but it will never go away......

Originally posted by Goldenblue
Racism exists in all cultures and all races.

I know many racist whites, I know racist non whites.

Religions are racist to other types of religions.

Regadless of what these idiotic left winged social engineers think, it will never be stamped out till the human race has disappeared from this Earth.

Great issue to debate, but it will never go away......

So anyone who want's racism stamped out is an 'idiotic left winged social engineer'? I know racism is here to stay, but it doesn't mean I can't speak out against it.

being able to identify someones nationality or race doesn't automatically make you racist...

if I listen to someone speak and think... "they are welsh" .. does that mean i am racist?

All it means is they have a welsh accent and i have recognised it... no different when you are able to see cultural differences ... just because you are able to recognize them doesn't mean you think less of them than any other nationality or race

so when u see an aussie BTige, u think "oh they are prolly racist". when you are being racist yourself.

people are racist through sterotyping and prejudice. everyone is whether they admit it or not. so too bad.

Originally posted by Santos L Helper

So anyone who want's racism stamped out is an 'idiotic left winged social engineer'? I know racism is here to stay, but it doesn't mean I can't speak out against it.

No, I am not saying that. I myself would love to see racism gone, but those so called social engineers who think it can be done are simply dreaming.

My point is:

There is racism against different nationalities and cultures.

There is racism against different religions. (all religions think they are the right ones and everyone else is wrong)

There is racism against the sexes too.

If you can stamp this out and believe it can be done, then I wish you luck.

Many Australians are racist from a foreign perspective, but among ourselves are not.
I have seen many examples among people of my parents generation and particularly the elderly, who can come out with very racist comments, but I am the only person who notices them.

For example, my mother often points out the skills of those 'Asian drivers', or my grandparents often refer to Asians as 'those slit-eyes'.

Seemingly innocent comments among Australians, but ignorant and rude to others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back