Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
There's a fair chance the national audience was distracted by a rubbish game on channel 7 tonight.

However, unfortunately at the showdown in Adelaide an unsavoury event unfolded that needs to be brought to attention. With 30 seconds left in the showdown between Port Adelaide and Adelaide (a Port Adelaide home game) Eddie Betts scored a goal from the boundary only to have a racist fan reach into her bag and throw a banana at him.

You can see the incident here at around 30 seconds:

This is obviously a reprehensible and pre-meditated act. Who brings bananas to the footy?

If you know this racist human, go ahead and name and shame. Its time this kind of behaviour was stamped out of our game.
ztbujq.jpg

Disgusting and hopefully the AFL take action accordingly.

Or is it just an idiot throwing a banana at a player
Anything inherently racist about throwing the first thing she could find?

Edit: don't bother responding. Questions answered.

Last edited:

Or it just so happened to be the nearest item in reach in what appeared like a spur of the moment decision.
Bit of a reach to label this racism.
Yeah actually you're right. Because the last time anyone threw a banana at a white player was...well, never

Do you often take bananas with you to a Saturday night game and still have them with 30 seconds to go then magically remember to reach in your bag and throw them when an indigenous player is within range?

I was going to come in and make a joke post asking how we knew this was racist, but I see I've been beaten by someone who actually said it seriously.
I don't think they are serious, just baiting for an argument.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah actually you're right. Because the last time anyone threw a banana at a white player was...well, never

Do you often take bananas with you to a Saturday night game and still have them with 30 seconds to go then magically remember to reach in your bag and throw them when an indigenous player is within range?

When was the last time a banana was thrown at any player?

She reached for that banana and took aim like when Jack Ruby shot Oswald. It could not have been more deliberate and pre-planned

I don't like bananas so I'm not the right person to ask.
That said I've taken food to the football and it's been uneaten when I leave.

She was an idiot and should be sanctioned for it, we can't allow projectiles of any kind to be thrown at personnel on the field, player or otherwise.
There's just nothing in that clip which shows racism other than the preconceived stigma/perception surrounding indigenous people and monkeys which are associated with bananas.
278513_466e06cef0db978c1e666b184cef5a23.jpg

Still acting all naive mate?

278513_466e06cef0db978c1e666b184cef5a23.jpg

Still acting all naive mate?
If that is true then yes it is racism.
Asking for evidence of a racist intent is not naivety, the act of throwing a projectile is not racist.
As with anything more info sometimes is required like in this case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back