Scandal Racist Messages sent to Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are you so against racism being called out and racists punished?

You misunderstand me.

Let me be clear: the scale of the offence matters. Do you disagree?

There’s an obvious difference between (say) a crowd of football supporters shouting racist abuse with impunity (which still happens in many parts of the world) vs an irrelevant loser making a racist comment in a dark corner of the internet.

At the moment, we’re geared towards treating each incident in the same way.

I won’t strawman you, or misrepresent your position like you did to me. I think you’re coming from a good place.

I guess I’m just trying to be realistic. I don’t believe racism can ever disappear completely, much as it would be nice. Given that, we need to ask ourselves, how does it help aboriginal people when the media and well-meaning members of the public blow these incidents up every time they happen?

You misunderstand me.

Let me be clear: the scale of the offence matters. Do you disagree?

There’s an obvious difference between (say) a crowd of football supporters shouting racist abuse with impunity (which still happens in many parts of the world) vs an irrelevant loser making a racist comment in a dark corner of the internet.

At the moment, we’re geared towards treating each incident in the same way.

I won’t strawman you, or misrepresent your position like you did to me. I think you’re coming from a good place.

I guess I’m just trying to be realistic. I don’t believe racism can ever disappear completely, much as it would be nice. Given that, we need to ask ourselves, how does it help aboriginal people when the media and well-meaning members of the public blow these incidents up every time they happen?
Wow.

by the consolacao scale of badness...wouldnt there be a difference between making racist comments on a dark corner of the internet and @'ing someone on social media where there is a likelihood they will see it?

you say theres a scale...then totally dont bother applying it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back