Scandal Racist Messages sent to Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we really surprised this crap still happens to our Indigenous players???

Police need to start getting involved and these scumbags need gaol time

Not only happens to Aboriginal players, happens to Aboriginal people all the time.

Last edited:

What average humans these guys are to message that sort of abuse to another person.

They should be called out publicly.
If they are ok to say it to someone via DM, they should be ok with the general public knowing who they are.
Pretty easy to protect your identity on the Internet.

I'd assume they're not using their real names- if they are, they will be charged like the people who threatened Yumi Stynes.
If not, all Willie is doing is giving them the attention they crave.

Edit: Fair *s to Willie though, if he wants to call it out fair enough. Not my place to say how he deals with that s**t.
Awful stuff to read.

Last edited:

I'd assume they're not using their real names- if they are, they will be charged like the people who threatened Yumi Stynes.

Edit: Fair *s to Willie though, if he wants to call it out fair enough. Not my place to say how he deals with that s**t.
Awful stuff to read.

Racists must always be called out

Never good to see from fans of any club. Idiot Saints supporters did the same to a player just weeks ago.

I myself have come across disgusting, explicit racism on Twitter by a Collingwood fan, N word and all, aimed at the players involved in the Hawks scandal.

I sent Collingwood FC a direct message in twitter with the screenshots, suggesting they investigate whether the supporter was a member.

The response?

I was blocked and am unable to direct message them. Super weird!

Comment was later reported to twitter and removed by twitter. First time I’ve ever reported something, but the comments were horrible - can’t imagine how it’d feel for indigenous people to see the tripe continuing.
Collingwood blocking you just shows their response to racism.
Broom, Sweep, Rug

s**t happens every day, to everyone! Stop with the victimhood BS and toughen up! We live in a world full of snow flakes.
One of the worst takes that I’ve seen in a while. The ones who should ‘toughen up’ are the cowards who hide behind usernames and throw racist comments at public figures. Takes more courage to call them out and not cop it (knowing pricks like you exist) than to pretend it never happened. Instead of sitting there and being a victim, Rioli and others in his position are standing up to it.

Calling others a snowflake and calling on them to stop complaining is interesting when you melt and complain about it!

I suggest an education, then a heart. Heads and hearts can be changed, but only the willing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

s**t happens every day, to everyone! Stop with the victimhood BS and toughen up! We live in a world full of snow flakes.

What an archaic, outdated and pathetic comment. The racial abusers are the cowards. The fact you find it acceptable is frightening yet not surprising. Racial abuse destroys people’s lives. Call these cowards out every time. Aboriginal people must stand up and say no more. Others who are racially abused must do the same

Social media platforms hold the keys to stamping this out. It’s such a simple solution - be aged 15/16+ to use the platform, photo ID verification required to activate account (or you cannot post/comment/interact with others). Betting companies have auto ID verification so I’m not sure it would be so hard to implement.

This is almost 100% people just operating on burner accounts. If they knew they could be outed immediately I guarantee the reduction in online racial vilification and abuse in general would be immense.

Awful stuff to read.
Can’t the police track their IP addresses, or something like that?

How is this view so widely shared? Do you seriously think the solution is pretending it didn’t happen with no repercussions to who posted it?

Yes, that is exactly what you do. One moron sends something to one other person. The other person can quietly report it to the club and move on from there.

Or, make a big fuss about things and then all sorts of morons crawl out from under their rocks and pile on and end up with dozens or hundreds of vile messages.

Amazingly, though I guess not surprisingly, the sewer that is social media has a LOT of comments about Rioli 'playing the race card' and he 'deserved it' for slapping/striking the Pies player. These comments are clearly made by people who think they have no reason to hide their identity, as they think they're right. In the news story comments sections I looked at, it would be running 95% of comments along this line.
Also find it a shame that clubs get dragged into it, as if these morons are speaking on their behalf - don't refer to them as 'Collingwood supporters', because who knows if they are.

Shithouse stuff

But not sure pointing the finger at the Pies is right, all clubs have dickhead supporters, Collingwood have lots of supporters = more dickheads than other clubs.

Spot on. We’re a small club and have our fair share of nuffies. I had a go at a bloke a few weeks ago making some poor comments

All racists can GTFO

Indeed, especially with his past racist comments

Collingwood was one of the worst clubs in the league for dealing with racism. They have now turned into one of the best. I used to be ashamed especially their dealings with Aboriginal people but am now proud of how far we have come. Unfortunately like all clubs we still have some racist supporters who are just stains on society.

Collingwood was one of the worst clubs in the league for dealing with racism. They have now turned into one of the best. I used to be ashamed especially their dealings with Aboriginal people but am now proud of how far we have come. Unfortunately like all clubs we still have some racist supporters who are just stains on society.
Just two years ago, then president Eddie McGuire - who has a history of racism - described a damning report into systematic racism at Collingwood as a historic and proud day day for the club. \
He attempted spin and whitewashing racsim rather than addressing it.

You need to take off the black and white glasses. Pretending it doesn't exist is as good as supporting it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back