Scandal Racist Messages sent to Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood was one of the worst clubs in the league for dealing with racism. They have now turned into one of the best. I used to be ashamed especially their dealings with Aboriginal people but am now proud of how far we have come. Unfortunately like all clubs we still have some racist supporters who are just stains on society.

While you are patting yourself on the back, add modest to the list of awards.

I’m on the lines of does making a huge media fuss actually help stop this sort of behaviour?

I feel like it hasn’t. It’s every month we hear about it.

I don’t think PR statements about “calling it out” are enough. It needs to stop, absolutely. Have we made any meaningful headway though? Half the population is gonna be like “it’s just words” and then you get a large subset of that half that think it’s funny and also have some emotional investment in the game and will do it again soon.

It’s not good enough, I just don’t think the solution is to keep writing strongly worded letters.

Name and Shame would be a good start

Agreed when using their real name. But troll/fake accounts is the obvious mainstay of these issues - and they are going around abusing all manners of people.

Black, Asians, Indigenous people.
Women.
LGBTI+ plus.
Crime victims for gods sake.

They get away with it too. Time after time.

The messages sent to outspoken women or Indigenous footballers are beyond disgusting.

Collingwood was one of the worst clubs in the league for dealing with racism. They have now turned into one of the best. I used to be ashamed especially their dealings with Aboriginal people but am now proud of how far we have come. Unfortunately like all clubs we still have some racist supporters who are just stains on society.
Collingwood are a long way from being one of the best. That's just insulting.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No place for it in the game but Collingwood does have a history in this space.

Discuss.

Once again, an attention-seeking degenerate embarrasses himself with a comment on social media and we do exactly what said degenerate wants, we publicise it and pretend it means something.

Meanwhile, the next degenerate licks his lips. His opportunity for a few moments of relevance is coming.

Just two years ago, then president Eddie McGuire - who has a history of racism - described a damning report into systematic racism at Collingwood as a historic and proud day day for the club. \
He attempted spin and whitewashing racsim rather than addressing it.

You need to take off the black and white glasses. Pretending it doesn't exist is as good as supporting it.

The Black and White glasses rofl. I am embarrassed by Eddie's racist comments, I have a hatred of what he did and said to Adam Goodes, I am humiliated by former President Alan Mcallister and the horrific comments he made. I am stunned by Eddie's comments re an historic and proud day. It was symbolic of what our club was but they are learning. Eddie leaving was the best thing for Collingwood and the club has taken giant strides forward in racism and how they treat Aboriginal people.

Collingwood are a long way from being one of the best. That's just insulting.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Insulting to who? Please fill me in on what you know about racism to Aboriginal people. The Collingwood club were a disgrace in the way they treated Aboriginals both on and off the field. This has improved significantly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never good to see from fans of any club. Idiot Saints supporters did the same to a player just weeks ago.

I myself have come across disgusting, explicit racism on Twitter by a Collingwood fan, N word and all, aimed at the players involved in the Hawks scandal.

I sent Collingwood FC a direct message in twitter with the screenshots, suggesting they investigate whether the supporter was a member.

The response?

I was blocked and am unable to direct message them. Super weird!

Comment was later reported to twitter and removed by twitter. First time I’ve ever reported something, but the comments were horrible - can’t imagine how it’d feel for indigenous people to see the tripe continuing.

Just so I am 100% clear.

You are saying you reported racist activity, by a Collingwood supporter towards ex-AL players DIRECTLY to the Collingwood Football Club - and the CFC's response was to not follow up on it, but to block you from further correspondence?

I'd think this is the sort of thing that Journo's should follow-up on.

If true, this is appalling from Collingwood FC.

Never good to see from fans of any club. Idiot Saints supporters did the same to a player just weeks ago.

I myself have come across disgusting, explicit racism on Twitter by a Collingwood fan, N word and all, aimed at the players involved in the Hawks scandal.

I sent Collingwood FC a direct message in twitter with the screenshots, suggesting they investigate whether the supporter was a member.

The response?

I was blocked and am unable to direct message them. Super weird!

Comment was later reported to twitter and removed by twitter. First time I’ve ever reported something, but the comments were horrible - can’t imagine how it’d feel for indigenous people to see the tripe continuing.
Did you tell them you were Big Footy's equivalent of Gordon Coventry?

Just so I am 100% clear.

You are saying you reported racist activity, by a Collingwood supporter towards ex-AL players DIRECTLY to the Collingwood Football Club - and the CFC's response was to not follow up on it, but to block you from further correspondence?

I'd think this is the sort of thing that Journo's should follow-up on.

If true, this is appalling from Collingwood FC.
That is correct.

Though I’m not sure it’s necessarily news. Their twitter DMs are probably managed by a 20 year old in their first job.

I did find it really bizarre.

Let's not automatically condemn Collingwood fans here. Doesn't appear to be anything saying they are unless the club itself has identified them.

Without knowing instagram well, do you have to add your real phone number or anything to sign up? Can these scumbags be identified at all?

pzjxmu5ewidb1.jpg

Dunno

Racism aside, the complete lack of the ability to type a legible sentence screams Collingwood fan.

Once again, an attention-seeking degenerate embarrasses himself with a comment on social media and we do exactly what said degenerate wants, we publicise it and pretend it means something.

Meanwhile, the next degenerate licks his lips. His opportunity for a few moments of relevance is coming.
it means something to the person its directed at and those that read it that it could also be directed at

pretending it isn't happening isn't the answer

like I know there is an issue without having seen the messages, i know it was racist without having seen the messages, I know it needs to be dealt with as well

it means something to the person its directed at and those that read it that it could also be directed at

pretending it isn't happening isn't the answer

like I know there is an issue without having seen the messages, i know it was racist without having seen the messages, I know it needs to be dealt with as well

Social media is ungovernable. How do you ‘deal with’ arseholery online? It’s widespread and unstoppable.

To the extent that some random idiot on social media making an offensive comment represents a ‘problem’, then I think it’s one we need to get used to.

Question for you: I’m not sure if you have kids, but if you did, would you teach them that if they hear something that offends them, the ‘right’ response is to be upset and demand future protection from offence? Or would you teach them to find ways to deal with what they’ve heard? I want my girls to grow up to be strong and resilient people, so I take the latter path.

I assume you would too, but why do we as a society seem to feel it’s right for aboriginal people to be fragile and in need of our protection?

Why, in relation to aboriginal people only, do we feel it’s perfectly reasonable for them to fall apart in response to a comment from someone who could be 10 years old, or an ice addict, or having a psychotic episode, or a narcissist, or depressed, or just sad, lonely and bitter?

Who takes anything from these monthly outrages, apart from middle class whites who get to engage in a bit of moral grandstanding?

Social media is ungovernable. How do you ‘deal with’ arseholery online? It’s widespread and unstoppable.

To the extent that some random idiot on social media making an offensive comment represents a ‘problem’, then I think it’s one we need to get used to.

Question for you: I’m not sure if you have kids, but if you did, would you teach them that if they hear something that offends them, the ‘right’ response is to be upset and demand future protection from offence? Or would you teach them to find ways to deal with what they’ve heard? I want my girls to grow up to be strong and resilient people, so I take the latter path.

I assume you would too, but why do we as a society seem to feel it’s right for aboriginal people to be fragile and in need of our protection?

Why, in relation to aboriginal people only, do we feel it’s perfectly reasonable for them to fall apart in response to a comment from someone who could be 10 years old, or an ice addict, or having a psychotic episode, or a narcissist, or depressed, or just sad, lonely and bitter?

Who takes anything from these monthly outrages, apart from middle class whites who get to engage in a bit of moral grandstanding?
we're talking about racism here, not something that "offends" someone

reckon you're showing your arse a bit here

we're talking about racism here, not something that "offends" someone

reckon you're showing your arse a bit here

I suppose I’m just wondering why someone like Willie Rioli should care. Of all the countless things he should choose to pay attention to in his life, why are the incoherent ramblings of some social media loser be one of them?

Anatole France: “A person is never happy at the price of some ignorance”.

There’s this idea that we should scour the world looking for and amplifying things that upset us or others, but I’m not sure it helps anyone.

In being part of a group that makes this comment out to be something meaningful and significant, who is it you feel you’re helping and how? Is it your position that this is one more important step towards an end point where all racism ceases to exist?

I suppose I’m just wondering why someone like Willie Rioli should care. Of all the countless things he should choose to pay attention to in his life, why are the incoherent ramblings of some social media loser be one of them?

There’s this idea that we should scour the world looking for and amplifying things that upset us or others, but I’m not sure it helps anyone.

In being part of a group that makes this comment out to be something meaningful and significant, who is it you feel you’re helping and how? Is it your position that this is one more important step towards an end point where all racism ceases to exist?

Why are you so against racism being called out and racists punished?

If someone, their family, friends and ancestors have been on the end of a couple of hundred years of discrimination against because of their race, racist comments would impact them. Not real hard to understand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back