Radio coverage. We now have 3 broadcasters. Opinions?

Boogers

Senior List
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
updated, partly, for the 2018/2019 season.

The ABC, Macquarie Sport Radio, and now SEN

What are your opinions?

ABC: Jim Maxwell......etc

Macquarie: (some of the ex-players rotate between games) Tim Lane, Bruce Eva, Ian Chappell, Greg Matthews, Dean Jones, etc

SEN: ???? Gerard Whateley, Etc

Triple M
have pulled the pin for some reason. Therefore, some of the posts about them on this thread may no longer make sense

Last edited:

royboy2

Grumpy Old Bastard
Dec 7, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Canucks, Villa, England Cricket
Quite enjoying Isa Guha on Triple m, overall however it is a little like the TV commentary in that they wait for delivery then talk, where for radio I feel they need to be more descriptive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pakenhamsaint

Hall of Famer
Jan 5, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melb. Stars
Quite enjoying Isa Guha on Triple m, overall however it is a little like the TV commentary in that they wait for delivery then talk, where for radio I feel they need to be more descriptive.
They need to say who is on at the commontary change as well. A couple of times theyve gone to the ad and a whole new group is in.

4 people in the box seems to work at times and at times it doesnt. Depends on the mix of people in it.

It is very much more light hearted than ABC and Maquarie.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

bird_man

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Listened in to triple M for an hour or so this arvo. It was cringe worthy to be honest, seemed to be trying too hard to be funny and different.

Can't go past the ABC still.

half_back_flank

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2008
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
How is this even a contest??!

ABC have killed it so far. Nannes can be a bit negative but Rogers and Kat have recent insight into the Australian team and all three have good voices for whiling away a summers day in the garden.
Whateley and Rogers are a fantastic commentary duo.

Only bellend on the ABC commentary is Quinten Hull, no idea what the higher ups see in him, he's shithouse at everything.

jiphoc

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2008
Buddy's Ego
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Muted the TV and was listening to MMM while watching (with the delay). Really liked the commentary to be honest. A fresh and different take. This won't win over all listeners (see a few above). However it will definitely win over a fair few people.

Redline

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I switched from the ABC to Macquarie last year. I really like Eva and Lane as callers and I think having two providing comments allows for better discussion

Willo_

Trust the Process
Apr 27, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
76ers, Melbourne Roys
Tuned in in the way home from work to MMM, I really enjoyed it.. the mix of having commentators, experts and them some funny men worked for me. Much prefer it to Warne and the 9 f***wits trying to be funny.

BILC

Ex-Flogcutter
Jul 30, 2008
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Listened to MMM for a couple of hours in the first session, didn't really enjoy it.

Didn't really seem like much of a chemistry at all between whoever was in the box, the ABC guys just play off each other so well, seems a lot more genuine.

Oh and I can't ******* stand listening to Mark Howard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aussie_boy

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
I only really listen to the ABC, mainly as a matter of habit. The names that Triple M have aren't particularly enticing, but maybe I will give them a go next time Lisa Sthalaker is in.

Cotchin 9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Ryan ten Doeschate. LFC, Hertha BSC
Listened to MMM for a couple of hours in the first session, didn't really enjoy it.

Didn't really seem like much of a chemistry at all between whoever was in the box, the ABC guys just play off each other so well, seems a lot more genuine.

Oh and I can't ******* stand listening to Mark Howard.
Agree. Howie needs to realise it isn't the Big Bash, fu** up.

PrideOf

Cancelled
Jul 17, 2001
Here, obviously
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AFC
I thought Triple M were going to go full comedy when I heard that Mick Molloy was on board, but it sounds like they're keeping it mostly straight
Which is why they got Mick Molloy.

Not sure why Triple M are doing Test cricket. I thought Channel 9 proved in the Brad MacNamara years that "phwoar, cop that cherry, insert inside joke here" doesn't work.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Isa Guha is a star in the making. Francesca Cumani like voice that you could listen to all day plus strong cricket knowledge as an ex-player.

Won't be long before TV snaps her up if they have any brains - reasonably attractive as well - but really don't care with that voice.

The rest is a bit meh. Malloy is turning into a thinking mans Brownless...Slats is just hard work and Howard has a squeaky voice.

Brayshaw is a flog but a pro.

ABC Rogers and Maxwell are guns. Whitely good as it Katich. The rest meh.

Ch 9 remains unlistenable.

Top Bottom