Radio coverage. We now have 3 broadcasters. Opinions?

nobbyiscool

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 11, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
Radio is dead!

With work wifi and a Kayo sports sub I never have to bother with sub-par ABC commentary or incessant radio ads ever again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Doubtful Tom Moody is ever going to make a good ball by ball caller. Tim Lane back to Macquarie radio full time with Slats doing ball by ball on 7 wouldn't surprise me.

legend166

Premium Platinum
Apr 21, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Thought ABC was great yesterday. It helps they've got some diversity in voices again.

Jim Maxwell, Alison Mitchell, Harsha Bogle and Andrew Moore is a great ball-by-ball team, probably the best they've had in years. Gillespie is good colour. Probably still missing that one great colour guy that they've never really had since Skull left.

bird_man

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 14, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Anthony Hudson is a terrific caller, especially considering he's never called the cricket. Katich is probably my favourite special comments man now that Rogers isn't doing it.

Also listened to ABC a lot today and it was very good as always.

thejester

BigFooty Broseph
Apr 22, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Huey & Riley Freeman
Anthony Hudson is a terrific caller, especially considering he's never called the cricket. Katich is probably my favourite special comments man now that Rogers isn't doing it.

Also listened to ABC a lot today and it was very good as always.
Did enjoy Katich’s inability to keep it together when Hudson was reading the ads.

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've enjoyed ABC thus far. In regards to their experts, two bowlers and two ex batsmen is a nice balance. Not convinced they need 4 ball by ball callers but Alison Mitchell being doing 40 minute stints on 7 may make that a necessity of sorts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ohitsthatguy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I started with Seven's coverage but couldn't stick through Slater so I went to ABC. Shame because I think Punter is an excellent commentator but Slater just ruins any coverage.

Ed Cowan is fantastic and really love his insight on ABC.

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
ABC have improved massively since last season. It's a seriously impressive effort, what with the TV rights deal diluting the talent and Whateley/Rogers jumping ship.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If anyone's interested, Glenn Mitchell and Terry Alderman have been on Macquarie today. I dunno if it's all day or just guest spots.
It sounds like the old days on 3LO :D
Mitchell is elite and possibly the best cricket caller in the country.

Alderman actually made me turn off even when Mitchell was calling...that bad.

Call it the Spud-Huddo effect.

Freo Big Fella

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
I shouldn't really be this surprised, but 6PR's commentary for the Scorchers games is like having your ears gouged out with a skewer.

Karl Langdon's ignorance of any sport other than AFL (and even there he struggles when he's not in a position to do his paid cheerleading for the Eagles) is astonishing for someone ostensibly being paid for ball-by-ball commentary. Hogg sounded like he was about to deck him at some points.

Bring back ABC for the BBL!

Top Bottom