Radio coverage. We now have 3 broadcasters. Opinions?

troybe

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
In the car today listening to the cricket on 1116 AM and they were still having ads for the Stars/Gades NYE Derby. Do the producers even listen to their own broadcast?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

sandeano

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Space
Driving home from work tonight and was listening to the coverage of the Strikers vs Stars match on Big Bash Nation which seems to be shared by SEN and Macquarie Sports. So I tuned in to hear the last five minutes of Seb Gotch's innings. At no time did I hear what score he was on or how many balls he had faced. Even when he was out I had no idea how many runs he had made. And then for the next 4 or five wickets - never did the commentators state how many runs they had made or were out for.

Oh, I did learn that co-commentator Shaun Tait was bought to us by Red Energy, as that was mentioned every over.

Geez, how hard is it? "Smith departs for 26 from 19 balls, caught Bloggs of the bowling of Brown. It is 4/113"

Not that bloody hard.

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've enjoyed hearing Darren Lehmann on Macquarie Sports radio this summer. ABC has improved but it still needs some improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
ABC have improved massively since last season. It's a seriously impressive effort, what with the TV rights deal diluting the talent and Whateley/Rogers jumping ship.
I would say the ABC have improved largely because Whateley and Rogers jumped ship.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
I won't bother asking you about why you think ABC has improved without Whateley but why do you think they're better off without Rogers?
He was very boring. When he wasn’t being boring, he used to giggle. When he was on with Whateley and Dirk Nannes, it was unlistenable

troybe

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
Just listening to 1116 AM in the car and it took a full 2 minutes to name the fielder who caught the Sri Lankan opener. Then after the second wicket fell wouldn’t/couldn’t/hadn’t named the incoming batsman I reckon for 5 minutes but by that time I was out of the car. Strange considering these are the fundamental stats/info that listeners need and want to know.

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Just listening to 1116 AM in the car and it took a full 2 minutes to name the fielder who caught the Sri Lankan opener. Then after the second wicket fell wouldn’t/couldn’t/hadn’t named the incoming batsman I reckon for 5 minutes but by that time I was out of the car. Strange considering these are the fundamental stats/info that listeners need and want to know.

ABC radio not much better, tuned in to hear the score and they spent about 5 minutes waffling on about the pink ball before they bothered to mention it.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
For those interested, SEN are broadcasting games on radio..... " games.....will be available across 1116 SEN, 1377 SEN+, 1629 SEN SA and DAB+ platforms. "
I'm not sure which commentary feeds they'll be using

10Dulkar

Team Captain
Jun 3, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, AZ
We get the joint BBC/SABC/ABC/Radio Sport broadcasts here in the UK and I have been very impressed with Natalie Germanos on the opening game. Wadds is a legend from NZ as well.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
I've just noticed that Macquarie Radio are also doing the cricket. I assume just Australian games and maybe 'big' finals. So far I've heard Bruce Eva, Darren Berry, John Hastings, Brad Hodge and Darren Lehman.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Ha ha.

From the Herald Sun:

It was early in the coverage of the opening game of the World Cup when the alarm bells started to ring in the studios of Melbourne’s two sports radio networks. Macquarie Sports and SEN had both purchased the broadcast rights for cricket’s one-day extravaganza in England through an Indian company Sports Flashes.

But with each ball that was being broadcast it quickly became apparent that the commentary they were receiving was from a couple of Indians sitting in their garage.

After some frantic phone calls it was revealed that the broadcast they were receiving was “illegal” because their Indian distributor had breached its rights agreement with the ICC. Apparently a dispute over money with a fellow Indian company had caused the problem which they failed to pass on to radio networks around the globe who were expecting their feed.

SEN is now using an international feed provided by the ICC while Macquarie Sports is covering Australian games from its Melbourne studio with a commentary team including Darren Lehmann, Brad Hodge, Darren Berry and John Hastings.

Former Australian spinner Brad Hogg was also caught up in the Sports Flashes debacle. He’d been hired as the company’s anchor for the World Cup coverage and knew nothing about the rights issue when he arrived in the UK. Luckily Hogg didn’t have to turn around and come home as he was able to find some work with another broadcaster.

THE HERALD SUN WHISPER

Which player used a stats loophole regarding tackles to push his case for selection? We hear the move backfired when his club studied footage and exposed the rort of being the token late second man in - which was being classed as a tackle.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricket/sen-and-macquarie-sports-caught-up-in-broadcast-rights-issue-with-indian-company-sports-flashes/news-story/6ebad103957add117eed0dace13bae11

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Hmm, I'm very surprised there's no analog radio coverage. Macquarie Radio did most of the World Cup, but not The Ashes? WTF?
There's only the BBC coverage on ABC Grandstand. The Aussies I've heard so far are Jim Maxwell and Glenn McGrath

big_e

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
Hmm, I'm very surprised there's no analog radio coverage. Macquarie Radio did most of the World Cup, but not The Ashes? WTF?
There's only the BBC coverage on ABC Grandstand. The Aussies I've heard so far are Jim Maxwell and Glenn McGrath
Cheaper for ABC and probably better quality for us.

Win-win.

Redline

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I presumed Macquarie would take live coverage. I can only guess the rights were too much.

Bumpswithagrin

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Same. Went to bed at lunch and flicked on the radio once in bed thinking I would have three to choose from... nada. Too lazy to get up and dig out my digital radio so had to stream it through my phone. Commentary was quite good though except for some annoying clicking noise, anyone else hear that? :huh:

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Spewin! ABC Grandstand (digital) has the footy on again, which I reckon is stupid, because they're broadcasting the same game on ABC analog (774 in Melbourne).
More first world problems for me. Ha.

Bumpswithagrin

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Spewin! ABC Grandstand (digital) has the footy on again, which I reckon is stupid, because they're broadcasting the same game on ABC analog (774 in Melbourne).
More first world problems for me. Ha.
Couldn't you still stream it through your phone via the CA app?

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Couldn't you still stream it through your phone via the CA app?
Can I? :D Thanks.
I'm not the most tech-savvy dude around.
One thing I like about ABC Grandstand on my digital radio is that it's a couple off seconds ahead of the tv; is that the same for the app?
It was back on after the tea break, obviously when the footy was over

Top Bottom