Radio coverage. We now have 3 broadcasters. Opinions?

Bumpswithagrin

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Can I? :D Thanks.
I'm not the most tech-savvy dude around.
One thing I like about ABC Grandstand on my digital radio is that it's a couple off seconds ahead of the tv; is that the same for the app?
It was back on after the tea break, obviously when the footy was over
I'm not sure :think: I only stream the radio commentary when I can't watch.

Pakenhamsaint

Hall of Famer
Jan 5, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melb. Stars
Hmm, I'm very surprised there's no analog radio coverage. Macquarie Radio did most of the World Cup, but not The Ashes? WTF?
There's only the BBC coverage on ABC Grandstand. The Aussies I've heard so far are Jim Maxwell and Glenn McGrath
Generally in an Ashes series over there they combine TMS and ABC grandstand. It's not the first time they've done it. They may have done it in Australia in occasion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

big_e

Premium Platinum
Apr 28, 2008
Your Wi-Fi
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
Good bump.

Was kinda frustrating listening to Alison Mitchell and Jason Gillespie on ABC having no idea what Mohammad Rizwan's first class batting average was, nor where he bats for his province. Would have thought that's fairly basic information to be across if you were commentating a test match.

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tubby is an astute analytical commentator but wasn't great doing ball by ball on radio. That's not his fault to be fair to him.

MisterMarcus

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Good bump.

Was kinda frustrating listening to Alison Mitchell and Jason Gillespie on ABC having no idea what Mohammad Rizwan's first class batting average was, nor where he bats for his province. Would have thought that's fairly basic information to be across if you were commentating a test match.
Hell, they could have just looked up Cricinfo when they were commentating

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
ABC got gutted financially, if you knew how little the guest commentators were paid for a full 5 test & one day summer commitment, Skull "retired" from the ABC for a few reasons but it was more economic for him to do one guest speaking gig a week and he'd still be in front instead of doing a test match.
My understanding was that he was offered a voluntary redundancy, and jumped at the chance of a payday knowing that he could easily replace the income stream.

western royboy

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
So you’re claiming he didn’t take a voluntary redundancy?

Or you’re admitting he took the money and ran, but are trying to spin it as him somehow being hard done by?
didn’t get a redundancy - not sure where you got your mail from - I got mine from the man himself so you’d reckon he’d no something about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch16

Draftee
Dec 12, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
didn’t get a redundancy - not sure where you got your mail from - I got mine from the man himself so you’d reckon he’d n
My understanding was that he was offered a voluntary redundancy, and jumped at the chance of a payday knowing that he could easily replace the income stream.
O’Keeffe was a casual employed for cricket commentary so he would not in anyway be eligible for a redundancy. Not sure where you would get that info from.

big_e

Premium Platinum
Apr 28, 2008
Your Wi-Fi
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
Nobody’s dying on any hills. I’m just curious as to what story O’Keeffe is putting around.
Why? Why do not believe people who have heard it directly from the man himself?

But more than that. He left the ABC years ago, why does it matter so much to you?

Top Bottom