Radio coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Chappelli's anecdotes are more than a bit worn on some of us who have heard them repeated for decades. For people who haven't been glued to the TV since Sri Lanka weren't a Test side, they aren't going to be so tedious.

Its good to still have someone from older eras around while its still possible. He does have his favourites, and decades old grudges - but its not like the newer breed are immune from that (Warne especially).
I get that he can be disinteresting to younger audiences.

But the first Test series I followed was the 70/71 Ashes. So i find his anecdotes interesting. He talked about Jeff Hammond tonight for instance - who toured the West Indies in 73 and basically carried the attack with Walker after DK broke down in the first Test.

I was a cricket nut as a kid and know precisely when he was talking about with Ceylon (later Sri Lanka). It was in 69/70 when the Australian team went to Ceylon before they did their 5 Test tour of India.

The mistake people make with Ian Chappell is that they write off his anecdotes the same way they, as youngsters, write off tales that old(er) people tell.

Once you get older, as I have, you wish that you had listened to these people and absorbed more.

So give me some examples please.
Endlessly talks about Les Favell as if he was some superstar that was unlucky instead of the mediocre FC batsman he was
Would rather be controversial than be insightful by "sticking it to the man"

He's an absolute nuffy.

Endlessly talks about Les Favell as if he was some superstar that was unlucky instead of the mediocre FC batsman he was
Would rather be controversial than be insightful by "sticking it to the man"

He's an absolute nuffy.
So that's it?

I listened to a lot of the ABC radio coverage tonight and I don't recall him mentioning Favell once.

So that's it?

I listened to a lot of the ABC radio coverage tonight and I don't recall him mentioning Favell once.
Oh I'm sure there are others but that's what I have offhand.

What did you disagree with regarding what Chappell said on ABC radio tonight?
I didn't listen tonight. I don't pay much attention to ODI's. But when I do and he's on I'll make sure to tell you how much drivel he spouts like he always does

I don't mind Chappell given he's in the Kerry O'Keefe mould of someone who actually enjoys watching cricket outside being paid to do so whereas guys like Warne and Waugh would much rather be playing golf or watching horse racing.

His lecture on how he would have thrown the ball at a batsman if they reversed swept was weird yesterday though. He kept saying that a batsman swapping feet or hands should be banned bat you don't do either of those things when reverse sweeping.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind Chappell given he's in the Kerry O'Keefe mould of someone who actually enjoys watching cricket outside being paid to do so whereas guys like Warne and Waugh would much rather be playing golf or watching horse racing.

His lecture on how he would have thrown the ball at a batsman if they reversed swept was weird yesterday though. He kept saying that a batsman swapping feet or hands should be banned bat you don't do either of those things when reverse sweeping.
i assumed he was talking about the switch hit, where a batsman does change his stance. Simple solution is for the bowler to stop his run up. I saw that happen once, where the batsman kept switching and the bowler kept stopping, in the end the umpire told the batsman to stop it. Dunno what the rules are now though.

i assumed he was talking about the switch hit, where a batsman does change his stance. Simple solution is for the bowler to stop his run up. I saw that happen once, where the batsman kept switching and the bowler kept stopping, in the end the umpire told the batsman to stop it. Dunno what the rules are now though.
He was talking about the switch hit but he was asked the question about what he would have done if someone in his team got out reverse sweeping and then just starting ranting about switch hits (while referring to them as reverse sweeps) which wasn't even the question.

Stuart Clark on the ABC the other night: "has Will Pucovksi been concussed before?"
Other ABC guy: "ah, yes, eight times, as far as I know."

Hmm, way to keep up-to-date. Ah well, I suppose he can't know everything about every Shield player

Stuart Clark may have gone to the Geoff Lawson school of commentary where anbody not playing for NSW is an irrelvance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back