Radio coverage. We now have 3 broadcasters. Opinions? | Page 7 | BigFooty

Radio coverage. We now have 3 broadcasters. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by Boogers, Dec 15, 2016.

1. bird_man

bird_man Brownlow Medallist

St Kilda
    When I was listening he was cheering like a drunken idiot. Every time we got a wicket all you could hear was him screaming “Yess! Come on Aussies!”

It was cringe worthy.

Gersman and Teagueeee15 like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. jiphoc

jiphoc Club Legend

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal
    Getting over the TV commentary team already. Anyone got tips for syncing up the radio and TV coverage? PC, digital radio?

3. 010203

010203 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    The moment Brad McNamara and James Brayshaw were announced as part of triple m's coverage, i made a decision to give them a wide berth regardless of how highly i might regard some other members of their team.

I reached a saturation point with Gerard Whateley, so i haven't listened to him on ABC radio for just under a year and if Jim Maxwell's suggested struggles are true then maybe not listening to his post stroke commentary isn't such a bad thing.

So i suppose by process of elimination, I've been listening to Macaquarie radio. I enjoy Time Lane and Bruce Eva as callers. I don't mind Ian Chappell at all so that's another positive for me. Mike Hussey and Damien Fleming are pretty good too. I could do with no Greg Matthews though to be honest. His absence from the Gabba test has been a welcome on for me.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  4. Redline

Redline Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Norwood
    3AW has the best team in my opinion.

Lane and Eva are the best callers and I think they have the best expert comments. I like that they have two on at once. What lets their broadcast down is the constant adds, unlike Triple M they don't seem to plug as much during the call but after every over.

5. Chaisa

Chaisa Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    The Exers
  6. The_Reaper

The_Reaper Hall of Famer

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    East Fremantle
    Rogers and Nannes are great value.

7. 010203

010203 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    On Triple, the pre conceived idea i had with them was that their commentary was going to be very biased and one eyed? Is that pre conceived idea i had about them true or not?

8. jiphoc

jiphoc Club Legend

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal
    Stax on the mill likes this.
  9. MC Bad Genius

MC Bad Genius Premiership Player

Sydney
    Strgugels? That you, Jim?

10. 010203

010203 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Haha, no I'm not Jim, but I'm guilty of typing too quickly and obviously and not checking for spelling errors.

MC Bad Genius likes this.
  11. eth-dog

eth-dog Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
    ABC>>>>>>>>>>Everything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. legend166

legend166 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Honestly I find the ABC boring these days as I mentioned in the Jim Maxwell thread. Rogers, Nannes and Katich are too vanilla, even if the ball by ball people are quality. Maxwell, Wheatley, Mitchell and Aggers is a great ball by ball lineup.

I tried listening to 3AW but I really just can't deal with the ads. The whole point about radio cricket commentary is the analysis and discussion that goes on between overs. Ads kills the tempo.

The Cricket Australia app offers the BBC so I'm listening to that at the moment. It's good.

Edit: Oh dang McGrath is on the BBC? What a legend.

13. 010203

010203 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Aggers, Alison Mitchell and Gerard Whateley are very good as ball by ball people but i agree with you about the experts.

It's a real shame that Kerry O'Keefe left them. His humour won't be everybody's cup of tea, ditto his laugh but he's a rock solid analyst of the game. His banter, so to speak with overseas callers, mainly Harsha and Aggers was always great to listen too.

I can't buy the idea he retired four years ago considering he's been on radio for a while now with two different stations since his ''retirement''. ABC probably didn't have the money to offer him to stay with them. Sadly for ABC, they can bring in quality but keeping them isn't easy.

14. Jack1870

Jack1870 Rookie

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Port Adelaide Magpies
    MMM for me,Isha Guha is terrific,I like their laid back style,Channel 9 is woeful,Michael Clarke is the worst commentator in the history of TV cricket commentary.

Tigerssaints likes this.
  15. happy_eagle

happy_eagle Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Triple M works best when you are watching it with the TV coverage and want some entertaining background chat as an alternative to Channel 9

If you are in the car and need to know what is happening, ABC still seems the best bet.

16. jaguaress

jaguaress Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Apollon Smyrni, Fenerbahce, Falcons
    They can be, yes.

17. Cleavy

Cleavy Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
  18. damochandler

damochandler Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Lawson was as boring as batshit anyway

19. 010203

010203 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
  20. MC Bad Genius

Sydney
  21. t_94

t_94 Club Legend

St Kilda
    I actually agree with Lawson here. ABC is now vanilla, boring and excessively earnest.

22. eth-dog

eth-dog Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
    Lawson was an A-Grade idiot anyway.

23. happy_eagle

happy_eagle Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    The problem with ABC is that the voices are not very different, and most of the commentators sound the same (not just their voices, but their style of analysis as well). The previous era you had different commentators with different styles and perspectives. You could always tell Lawson was in the box if the conversation shifted towards NSW grade cricket, and you had no trouble identifying who was in the box from a couple of sentences. There have been times where it has taken a while to figure out whether its Rogers, Katich or Nannes on air.

1989, Cupid Stunt, bullish23 and 2 others like this.
  24. Bumpswithagrin

Bumpswithagrin Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
    The ABC used to also have a different member of the team for each test, so Lawson in Sydney, Terry Alderman in Perth and so on. I liked this because they gave us a local perspective. Not sure why they got rid of this and now take the same team to each test. I agree there is a sameness about the commentators now. Also, both Nannes and Katich have a slightly whiny tone which can get on your nerves after a while.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  25. MC Bad Genius

Sydney
    What would be everyone's dream team of radio commentary? My top 5 would be:

• David Lloyd - could listen to him call every ball of every match for the rest of my life
    • Kerry O'Keefe - partly because I really enjoy his self-deprecating sense of humour and partly because I enjoy putting him on to annoy my old man
    • Michael Holding - smoothest voice in world cricket
    • Ian Healy - now hear me out, I absolutely LOATHE him on Channel 9, but remove him from that pack of idiots and he is actually very insightful and possibly the most unbiased Australian commentator
    • Harsha Bhogle - has some great turns of phrases and I love the nerdy way he tries to understand the Aussie slang of the other commentators

Cupid Stunt likes this.