Radio coverage. We now have 3 broadcasters. Opinions? | Page 8 | BigFooty

Radio coverage. We now have 3 broadcasters. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by Boogers, Dec 15, 2016.

1. 010203

010203 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    If i was given carte blanche to put a commentary team together i'd go off Macquarie radio's one caller, two experts system.

Ball by ball commentators would be: Aggers, Tim Lane and Alison Mitchell
    Expert commentators would be: Kerry O'Keefe, Ian Chappell, Michael Vaughan, David Lloyd, Simon Katich, Mike Atherton, Mark Taylor and Shane Warne

With regards to Warne and Taylor, when they're talking cricket, i think they're well worth listening to even if i might not always a agree with them. Honourable mention to Sir Geoffrey Boycott but there's room for one grumpy old man and that spot goes to Ian Chappell who, Bill Lawry aside, is my favourite of the channel 9 team. Alison Mitchell's inclusion isn't down to tokenism, i think she did a very good job on ABC last summer.

JimDocker likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Bumpswithagrin

Bumpswithagrin Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
    One of the best and funniest I have ever heard is Jeremy Coney. Unfortunately he is rarely on radio here but he did do some of the World Cup matches in 2015. Has a dry sense of humour and had me in stitches. He would be in my top five.

The_Reaper, Hellgood and Plugger35 like this.
  3. Borscht Mat

Borscht Mat Club Legend

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Port Adelaide
  4. 010203

010203 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    My favourite bit of radio cricket commentary since the Naga chilies interaction between Harsha Bhogle and Kerry O'Keefe.

The full version:

Shortened version:

5. Registered User

Registered User Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Father Jack likes this.
  6. gordo2016

gordo2016 Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Reckon Nannes is just as bad. Maxwell is well past his use by date and it is time he went.

010203 likes this.
  7. 010203

010203 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Over the Christmas period last year, i read Jim Maxwell's book and if things had been different, the expert in their commentary team they have now could have been rather different. The idea originally was they'd bring Damien Fleming back to join Mike Hussey and Simon Katich. As it was only Katich of the aforementioned group of three came in and he was joined by Chris Rogers and Dirk Nannes.

He mentioned how things worked out well in the end. Hussey not joining them meant Dirk Nannes came on board and was able to provide the ''direct, penetrating'' views he felt Hussey couldn't provide due to Hussey not being ''distant'' enough with the players. When they couldn't gel Fleming, they got Chris Rogers. Maxwell saw it as a positive as Rogers was able to provide the fresh perspective that a very recently retired test player could provide.

Rioli2Gunstall likes this.
  8. nobbyiscool

nobbyiscool Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
    I really like all 3 of Rogers, Nannes and Katich. The issue is that none of them really seem that distinct from each other in their style of commentary. Rogers has been very amusing at times when commentating with Gerard Whately, but other than that it's very "same, same" in the ABC's commentary.

I've always been a huge fan of Jim Maxwell, but I think his time has just about come. That opinion comes simply from the fact that he makes a lot of errors in his commentating these days - not even errors of obscure fact, but errors of calling what's happened right in front of him. I guess the issue is that they don't have anyone better to call year in, year out. I think we'll see a bit more of Allison Mitchell, who I really like, but Jonathon Agnew - who I also really like - only comes out for England games (and he's already gone home after the Adelaide test), and the roundabout of ringings last season like Nicholson and Moore (I think it's Moore?) didn't really impress me that much.

I'm not even that welded to the ABC - but of all 3 radio stations, it's by far and away the closest I can get to the tv and radio being in sync using a normal wireless or using a digital radio. (Which is strange, cos when I watch footy with the radio on, I usually end up enduring Triple M for the same reason - it's the closest I can get to syncing with the picture.)

Rioli2Gunstall likes this.
  9. Pakenhamsaint

Pakenhamsaint Brownlow Medallist

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    Melb. Stars
    I think that's part of the idea of the MMMs coverage. They're allowed to barrack. Doesn't matter if they're an English or Australian commentator.

10. Cleavy

Cleavy Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Hussey aside, not having Fleming worked out for the better.

11. CakeEater

CakeEater Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Boycott got utterly clipped by Matthew Engel in the Guardian today, telling him he should retire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. MC Bad Genius

MC Bad Genius Premiership Player

Sydney
    That was brutal!

corbies and CakeEater like this.
  13. wagstaff

wagstaff Premiership Player

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
    Macquarie Radio has been my choice since it started a few years back. Tim Lane is still an excellent cricket caller (big loss when he left ABC cricket in the early 00s) and Bruce Eva is a pretty good ball-by-ball caller as well. In terms of special comments, Ian Chappell is better utilised than the self-indulgence and silliness of Ch 9, John Emburey is good for an alternate non-Oz perspective, Mike Hussey is solid (better than he was on Ch 9) and Glen McGrath is OK if a bit bland. Damien Fleming provides some good insight but his constant desire to talk about himself and his career is tedious.

From what I’ve heard of ABC it would probably be around the same level but because I find Whateley so insufferably pompous I only listen to them if I have to.

JimDocker, 010203 and Bumpswithagrin like this.
  14. Bumpswithagrin

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Nannes funny today. Mentioned Officeworks and Bunnings earlier (no brand names allowed on the ABC) then talking about Warner said if his brains were dynamite he wouldn’t have anough to blow his hat off :D

Registered User, Gough and Cleavy like this.
  15. MisterMarcus

MisterMarcus Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    MMM is so weird. They have the "phwoar go big Davey Warner" blokey barracking....and then they have "sensible" Isa Guha there, who comes across like a spinster at a frat party.

16. 010203

010203 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    When MMM announced who would be part of their Ashes coverage on their website they mentioned how Isa Guha was going to ''bring some class to proceedings to chaos unfolding around her'' or something along those lines. Whenever Isa Guha has been on Inside Cricket, i've found her to decent, tolerable and bearable. The way she's been spoken about in the context of her MMM work, I've been under the impression she's a female version of Richie Benaud.

17. Registered User

Registered User Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    It's a bit of a drag how 3aw chop and change their BBL coverage between their regular analog station, their digital 3aw, and News Talk Sport digital.

Bumpswithagrin likes this.
  18. Cleavy

Cleavy Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    dazza68 likes this.
  19. Bumpswithagrin

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    dazza68 likes this.
  20. Gough

Gough Moderator

Hawthorn
    The flight of talent from a Michelle Guthrie run ABC continues.

nobbyiscool likes this.
  21. nobbyiscool

nobbyiscool Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
    I've really enjoyed watching the test series with Grandstand on - watching 9 through Foxtel, and listening to Grandstand through digital radio, it sync'd up really well. But I don't really need to listen to the revolving door of part time commentators that we endured last summer. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I thought Whateley really "got" cricket commentary, and he did some excellent stuff with Rogers and Nannes this season.

The end result is that I probably don't watch as much of the 5th test. Neither of the other radio stations sync up with the tv, and I can't/won't endure ch9.

22. Hellgood

Hellgood Cancelled

Port Adelaide
    That's a shame he did a good job with the cricket since taking it on a couple of years ago. Wonder who steps up to the host gig now, or will they go out and poach someone back?

23. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Premiership Player

Melbourne
    :rolleyes:

Bumpswithagrin likes this.
  24. Bumpswithagrin

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Might as well just shut it down.

dazza68 likes this.
  25. LukeParkerno1

LukeParkerno1 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    Anyone is better than Whately. I'm sorry but I'll call a spade a spade. I rather every other commentator on the ABC.

dazza68 likes this.