Radio coverage. We now have 3 broadcasters. Opinions? | Page 9 | BigFooty

Radio coverage. We now have 3 broadcasters. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by Boogers, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Freo Big Fella

Freo Big Fella Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    WA, Australia
    Corbin Middlemas is the obvious heir apparent in terms of cross-sport knowledge IMO.

Hellgood likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. LukeParkerno1

LukeParkerno1 Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    Sydney Swans
    Middlemas is way better anyway

JimDocker likes this.
  3. big_e

big_e Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
    Possibly. But I also reckon Hutchy's just given him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Teagueeee15 likes this.
  4. Hellgood

Hellgood Cancelled

Port Adelaide
    Yeah I rate him highly too, liked him as a footy caller and on the Staurday morning SportsTalk when we was over here. Last I heard he was now working out of Brisbane?

5. 010203

010203 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions

Jarrod Kimber on his time as a consultant for ABC Grandstand and what they need to do post Gerard Whateley's departure.

Underarm, wagstaff, Cleavy and 2 others like this.
  6. Gough

Gough Moderator

Hawthorn
    It's an article of faith for many in this government that the ABC should not be competing with commercial forces. I think we're seeing a bit of this here

7. Bumpswithagrin

Bumpswithagrin Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
    Just confirms my opinion that the ABC is a shambles, no accountability whatsoever. I remember when Kimber was on and quite liked his work. Always wondered why he didn't continue, now I know!

Teagueeee15 likes this.
  8. Teagueeee15

Teagueeee15 Premiership Player

Carlton
    Thanks for posting that link.

It says a lot about Jarrod’s integrity that he turned down billing the taxpayer a full days pay to do only 40 minutes of on air work. Many people would have happily milked the taxpayer for that sort of role.

His concerns about middle management at the ABC reinforce what you kept hearing from conservative commentators about things there before Guthrie’s cuts. It seems there were far too many cooks, none of whom seemed to be accountable to anyone or responsible for anything regarding Grandstand’s Cricket coverage. I would be very interested to hear the ABC side of things. It seems that once his final report was tabled, the realisation hit home that Kimber didn’t conform to the way that things were done at the ABC and in the end he was treated as some sort of dissenter who wasn’t to be tolerated any further.

His commentary regarding the way ABC Management views Gerrard Whately indicates why Gerrard may have left. Gerrard should be taking a huge risk with his career, but if things don’t go well at SEN, it seems Gerrard has already achieved such status at the ABC, that he could walk back in the door whenever he likes.

It’s also interesting the way that Kimber was recruited there. There didn’t appear to be any recruitment process or oversight involved, Jim Maxwell liking him seemed to be good enough? Then when he arrives for the first test, nobody seemed to have any work for him to do?

wagstaff likes this.
  9. nobbyiscool

nobbyiscool Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
    It read to me exactly the opposite - they had all these high ranking managers that he was trying to deal with, rather than just having a middle-management director who handled the day to day stuff and reported to senior management. In effect, they had Kimber as a consultant doing part of the job that a director should've been doing.

10. MisterMarcus

MisterMarcus Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    I think it is more just a general cultural problem that comes from having a near-monopoly for so long, and never having to compete. From airlines to software companies, lots of organisations have fallen victim to the "We've done it this way for so long, and we have a big audience, so what we're doing must be good" fallacy. They don't realise that their dominance comes from lack of competition rather than quality of product.

wagstaff and MC Bad Genius like this.
  11. nobbyiscool

nobbyiscool Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
    I don't think I agree that it's a "fallacy" that Grandstand's coverage has been good - it's been the soundtrack of my summer forever, and I've not had a huge problem with it til the last couple of seasons (with Maxwell's leave last summer making their problems glaringly obvious).

But reading that article, and having a bit of personal knowledge of how the ABC operates, the previous quality of their coverage seems to have been more good luck than good planning, or good recruitment, or good talent development.

You're still correct though IMO - whether it's been good or bad is semantic really. The lack of planning, recruitment or development is absolutely an issue with the workplace culture, and it's not something that can be changed overnight. I fear a little bit for what Grandstand looks like next summer because, while I don't think Whateley was brilliant at the actual cricket commentary side of things, I think he was really good at the "sportsmans night" element that Kimber referred to. I really think that Rogers and Nannes might not even still be with Grandstand if not for Whateley bringing out that side of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Registered User

Registered User Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    For any Geoff Lawson fans, :p he's on Maquarie radio (3aw, 4bc, etc)

imadodgyumpire likes this.
  13. Redline

Redline Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Norwood
    David Morrow and Greg Mathews called tonights BBL game for Macquarie Radio played in Hobart from a Sydney studio I think. It happens in AFL and other sports but I haven't heard it done for cricket before.

14. 010203

010203 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions

Is Brad McNamara referring to Jarrod Kimber? If so, what's Kimber done to annoy Brad McNamara? Kimber's article about Whateley leaving the ABC was quite decent and insightful. Buzz probably didn't like the triple m reference.

15. wagstaff

wagstaff Premiership Player

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
    The Kimber/McNamara battle goes back a few years; Kimber has had a few potshots at him over his George Bailey comments and the standard of Ch 9 commentary while he was there.

16. damochandler

damochandler Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    I reckon kerry told most of his joke on the abc and he just rehashed them on triple m. They should get rid of Gus worland

17. Boogers

Boogers Senior List

Brisbane Lions
    Some of Graeme Swann's impersonations are spot on and pretty funny

Teagueeee15 likes this.
  18. Bumpswithagrin

Bumpswithagrin Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
    Someone mentioned on another thread that Damien Fleming sounded like Richo. I have another couple of sound alikes.

I reckon Glen McGrath sounds like Kerry O'Keefe (when he is not being silly and wheezing) and Dean Jones sounds like Ian Chappell (almost as grumpy too).

19. Aussie_boy

Aussie_boy Premium Gold

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
    Agree, he may be a bit of a flog but I really enjoyed him on Triple M. Was an ABC listener last summer, but enjoyed triple M a lot more this year.

Boogers likes this.
  20. Willo_

Willo_ Trust the Process

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    76ers, Melbourne Roys
    I basically just listened to Triple M this summer. I think they have got the mix really good or at least it appeals to what I want to hear anyway.

Also I'm in love with Isa

21. Pakenhamsaint

Pakenhamsaint Brownlow Medallist

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    Melb. Stars
    The farmer one was a new one.

22. Grizzly86

Grizzly86 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Poor Chuck...

23. 010203

010203 Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    MMM has received much praise but i'll need an enormous amount of persuading to listen to a Brad McNamara produced broadcast as well as Mark Howard, James Brayshaw and Gus Worland. I like a couple of the people there but the four blokes i mentioned mean i won't listen to them.

24. corbies

corbies Premium Platinum

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    S'roos, New Jets, WHam, Cronulla
    Is Torz the ready-made replacement for Gerard on Grandstand after his audition for a hosting gig last night?

25. Torz

Torz Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    My one regret is not asking if I could call an over. Haha.

corbies likes this.