Radio coverage. We now have 3 broadcasters. Opinions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Jarrod Kimber on his time as a consultant for ABC Grandstand and what they need to do post Gerard Whateley's departure.
It's an article of faith for many in this government that the ABC should not be competing with commercial forces. I think we're seeing a bit of this here

Bumpswithagrin

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur

Jarrod Kimber on his time as a consultant for ABC Grandstand and what they need to do post Gerard Whateley's departure.
Just confirms my opinion that the ABC is a shambles, no accountability whatsoever. I remember when Kimber was on and quite liked his work. Always wondered why he didn't continue, now I know!

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Thanks for posting that link.

It says a lot about Jarrod’s integrity that he turned down billing the taxpayer a full days pay to do only 40 minutes of on air work. Many people would have happily milked the taxpayer for that sort of role.

His concerns about middle management at the ABC reinforce what you kept hearing from conservative commentators about things there before Guthrie’s cuts. It seems there were far too many cooks, none of whom seemed to be accountable to anyone or responsible for anything regarding Grandstand’s Cricket coverage. I would be very interested to hear the ABC side of things. It seems that once his final report was tabled, the realisation hit home that Kimber didn’t conform to the way that things were done at the ABC and in the end he was treated as some sort of dissenter who wasn’t to be tolerated any further.

His commentary regarding the way ABC Management views Gerrard Whately indicates why Gerrard may have left. Gerrard should be taking a huge risk with his career, but if things don’t go well at SEN, it seems Gerrard has already achieved such status at the ABC, that he could walk back in the door whenever he likes.

It’s also interesting the way that Kimber was recruited there. There didn’t appear to be any recruitment process or oversight involved, Jim Maxwell liking him seemed to be good enough? Then when he arrives for the first test, nobody seemed to have any work for him to do?

nobbyiscool

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 11, 2006
Democratic People's Republic of Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
Thanks for posting that link.

It says a lot about Jarrod’s integrity that he turned down billing the taxpayer a full days pay to do only 40 minutes of on air work. Many people would have happily milked the taxpayer for that sort of role.

His concerns about middle management at the ABC reinforce what you kept hearing from conservative commentators about things there before Guthrie’s cuts. It seems there were far too many cooks, none of whom seemed to be accountable to anyone or responsible for anything regarding Grandstand’s Cricket coverage. I would be very interested to hear the ABC side of things. It seems that once his final report was tabled, the realisation hit home that Kimber didn’t conform to the way that things were done at the ABC and in the end he was treated as some sort of dissenter who wasn’t to be tolerated any further.

His commentary regarding the way ABC Management views Gerrard Whately indicates why Gerrard may have left. Gerrard should be taking a huge risk with his career, but if things don’t go well at SEN, it seems Gerrard has already achieved such status at the ABC, that he could walk back in the door whenever he likes.

It’s also interesting the way that Kimber was recruited there. There didn’t appear to be any recruitment process or oversight involved, Jim Maxwell liking him seemed to be good enough? Then when he arrives for the first test, nobody seemed to have any work for him to do?
It read to me exactly the opposite - they had all these high ranking managers that he was trying to deal with, rather than just having a middle-management director who handled the day to day stuff and reported to senior management. In effect, they had Kimber as a consultant doing part of the job that a director should've been doing.

MisterMarcus

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
It read to me exactly the opposite - they had all these high ranking managers that he was trying to deal with, rather than just having a middle-management director who handled the day to day stuff and reported to senior management. In effect, they had Kimber as a consultant doing part of the job that a director should've been doing.
I think it is more just a general cultural problem that comes from having a near-monopoly for so long, and never having to compete. From airlines to software companies, lots of organisations have fallen victim to the "We've done it this way for so long, and we have a big audience, so what we're doing must be good" fallacy. They don't realise that their dominance comes from lack of competition rather than quality of product.

nobbyiscool

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 11, 2006
Democratic People's Republic of Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
I think it is more just a general cultural problem that comes from having a near-monopoly for so long, and never having to compete. From airlines to software companies, lots of organisations have fallen victim to the "We've done it this way for so long, and we have a big audience, so what we're doing must be good" fallacy. They don't realise that their dominance comes from lack of competition rather than quality of product.
I don't think I agree that it's a "fallacy" that Grandstand's coverage has been good - it's been the soundtrack of my summer forever, and I've not had a huge problem with it til the last couple of seasons (with Maxwell's leave last summer making their problems glaringly obvious).

But reading that article, and having a bit of personal knowledge of how the ABC operates, the previous quality of their coverage seems to have been more good luck than good planning, or good recruitment, or good talent development.

You're still correct though IMO - whether it's been good or bad is semantic really. The lack of planning, recruitment or development is absolutely an issue with the workplace culture, and it's not something that can be changed overnight. I fear a little bit for what Grandstand looks like next summer because, while I don't think Whateley was brilliant at the actual cricket commentary side of things, I think he was really good at the "sportsmans night" element that Kimber referred to. I really think that Rogers and Nannes might not even still be with Grandstand if not for Whateley bringing out that side of them.

Redline

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
David Morrow and Greg Mathews called tonights BBL game for Macquarie Radio played in Hobart from a Sydney studio I think. It happens in AFL and other sports but I haven't heard it done for cricket before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Is Brad McNamara referring to Jarrod Kimber? If so, what's Kimber done to annoy Brad McNamara? Kimber's article about Whateley leaving the ABC was quite decent and insightful. Buzz probably didn't like the triple m reference.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
The Kimber/McNamara battle goes back a few years; Kimber has had a few potshots at him over his George Bailey comments and the standard of Ch 9 commentary while he was there.

Bumpswithagrin

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Someone mentioned on another thread that Damien Fleming sounded like Richo. I have another couple of sound alikes.

I reckon Glen McGrath sounds like Kerry O'Keefe (when he is not being silly and wheezing) and Dean Jones sounds like Ian Chappell (almost as grumpy too).

Aussie_boy

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Some of Graeme Swann's impersonations are spot on and pretty funny
Agree, he may be a bit of a flog but I really enjoyed him on Triple M. Was an ABC listener last summer, but enjoyed triple M a lot more this year.

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
MMM has received much praise but i'll need an enormous amount of persuading to listen to a Brad McNamara produced broadcast as well as Mark Howard, James Brayshaw and Gus Worland. I like a couple of the people there but the four blokes i mentioned mean i won't listen to them.

Top Bottom