Radio coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the Christmas period last year, i read Jim Maxwell's book and if things had been different, the experts in their commentary team they have now could have been rather different. The idea originally was they'd bring Damien Fleming back to join Mike Hussey and Simon Katich. As it was only Katich of the aforementioned group of three came in and he was joined by Chris Rogers and Dirk Nannes.

He mentioned how things worked out well in the end. Hussey not joining them meant Dirk Nannes came on board and was able to provide the ''direct, penetrating'' views he felt Hussey couldn't provide due to Hussey not being ''distant'' enough with the players. When they couldn't get Fleming, they got Chris Rogers. Maxwell saw it as a positive as Rogers was able to provide the fresh perspective that a very recently retired test player could provide.

Last edited:
I really like all 3 of Rogers, Nannes and Katich. The issue is that none of them really seem that distinct from each other in their style of commentary. Rogers has been very amusing at times when commentating with Gerard Whately, but other than that it's very "same, same" in the ABC's commentary.

I've always been a huge fan of Jim Maxwell, but I think his time has just about come. That opinion comes simply from the fact that he makes a lot of errors in his commentating these days - not even errors of obscure fact, but errors of calling what's happened right in front of him. I guess the issue is that they don't have anyone better to call year in, year out. I think we'll see a bit more of Allison Mitchell, who I really like, but Jonathon Agnew - who I also really like - only comes out for England games (and he's already gone home after the Adelaide test), and the roundabout of ringings last season like Nicholson and Moore (I think it's Moore?) didn't really impress me that much.

I'm not even that welded to the ABC - but of all 3 radio stations, it's by far and away the closest I can get to the tv and radio being in sync using a normal wireless or using a digital radio. (Which is strange, cos when I watch footy with the radio on, I usually end up enduring Triple M for the same reason - it's the closest I can get to syncing with the picture.)

On Triple, the pre conceived idea i had with them was that their commentary was going to be very biased and one eyed? Is that pre conceived idea i had about them true or not?
I think that's part of the idea of the MMMs coverage. They're allowed to barrack. Doesn't matter if they're an English or Australian commentator.

Over the Christmas period last year, i read Jim Maxwell's book and if things had been different, the expert in their commentary team they have now could have been rather different. The idea originally was they'd bring Damien Fleming back to join Mike Hussey and Simon Katich. As it was only Katich of the aforementioned group of three came in and he was joined by Chris Rogers and Dirk Nannes.

He mentioned how things worked out well in the end. Hussey not joining them meant Dirk Nannes came on board and was able to provide the ''direct, penetrating'' views he felt Hussey couldn't provide due to Hussey not being ''distant'' enough with the players. When they couldn't gel Fleming, they got Chris Rogers. Maxwell saw it as a positive as Rogers was able to provide the fresh perspective that a very recently retired test player could provide.

Hussey aside, not having Fleming worked out for the better.

Macquarie Radio has been my choice since it started a few years back. Tim Lane is still an excellent cricket caller (big loss when he left ABC cricket in the early 00s) and Bruce Eva is a pretty good ball-by-ball caller as well. In terms of special comments, Ian Chappell is better utilised than the self-indulgence and silliness of Ch 9, John Emburey is good for an alternate non-Oz perspective, Mike Hussey is solid (better than he was on Ch 9) and Glen McGrath is OK if a bit bland. Damien Fleming provides some good insight but his constant desire to talk about himself and his career is tedious.

From what I’ve heard of ABC it would probably be around the same level but because I find Whateley so insufferably pompous I only listen to them if I have to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've really enjoyed watching the test series with Grandstand on - watching 9 through Foxtel, and listening to Grandstand through digital radio, it sync'd up really well. But I don't really need to listen to the revolving door of part time commentators that we endured last summer. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I thought Whateley really "got" cricket commentary, and he did some excellent stuff with Rogers and Nannes this season.

The end result is that I probably don't watch as much of the 5th test. Neither of the other radio stations sync up with the tv, and I can't/won't endure ch9.

That's a shame he did a good job with the cricket since taking it on a couple of years ago. Wonder who steps up to the host gig now, or will they go out and poach someone back?

That's a shame he did a good job with the cricket since taking it on a couple of years ago. Wonder who steps up to the host gig now, or will they go out and poach someone back?

Anyone is better than Whately. I'm sorry but I'll call a spade a spade. I rather every other commentator on the ABC.

Corbin Middlemas is the obvious heir apparent in terms of cross-sport knowledge IMO.

Yeah I rate him highly too, liked him as a footy caller and on the Staurday morning SportsTalk when we was over here. Last I heard he was now working out of Brisbane?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back