Radio coverage

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur

Jarrod Kimber on his time as a consultant for ABC Grandstand and what they need to do post Gerard Whateley's departure.

Just confirms my opinion that the ABC is a shambles, no accountability whatsoever. I remember when Kimber was on and quite liked his work. Always wondered why he didn't continue, now I know!

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Jarrod Kimber on his time as a consultant for ABC Grandstand and what they need to do post Gerard Whateley's departure.

Thanks for posting that link.

It says a lot about Jarrod’s integrity that he turned down billing the taxpayer a full days pay to do only 40 minutes of on air work. Many people would have happily milked the taxpayer for that sort of role.

His concerns about middle management at the ABC reinforce what you kept hearing from conservative commentators about things there before Guthrie’s cuts. It seems there were far too many cooks, none of whom seemed to be accountable to anyone or responsible for anything regarding Grandstand’s Cricket coverage. I would be very interested to hear the ABC side of things. It seems that once his final report was tabled, the realisation hit home that Kimber didn’t conform to the way that things were done at the ABC and in the end he was treated as some sort of dissenter who wasn’t to be tolerated any further.

His commentary regarding the way ABC Management views Gerrard Whately indicates why Gerrard may have left. Gerrard should be taking a huge risk with his career, but if things don’t go well at SEN, it seems Gerrard has already achieved such status at the ABC, that he could walk back in the door whenever he likes.

It’s also interesting the way that Kimber was recruited there. There didn’t appear to be any recruitment process or oversight involved, Jim Maxwell liking him seemed to be good enough? Then when he arrives for the first test, nobody seemed to have any work for him to do?

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Thanks for posting that link.

It says a lot about Jarrod’s integrity that he turned down billing the taxpayer a full days pay to do only 40 minutes of on air work. Many people would have happily milked the taxpayer for that sort of role.

His concerns about middle management at the ABC reinforce what you kept hearing from conservative commentators about things there before Guthrie’s cuts. It seems there were far too many cooks, none of whom seemed to be accountable to anyone or responsible for anything regarding Grandstand’s Cricket coverage. I would be very interested to hear the ABC side of things. It seems that once his final report was tabled, the realisation hit home that Kimber didn’t conform to the way that things were done at the ABC and in the end he was treated as some sort of dissenter who wasn’t to be tolerated any further.

His commentary regarding the way ABC Management views Gerrard Whately indicates why Gerrard may have left. Gerrard should be taking a huge risk with his career, but if things don’t go well at SEN, it seems Gerrard has already achieved such status at the ABC, that he could walk back in the door whenever he likes.

It’s also interesting the way that Kimber was recruited there. There didn’t appear to be any recruitment process or oversight involved, Jim Maxwell liking him seemed to be good enough? Then when he arrives for the first test, nobody seemed to have any work for him to do?

It read to me exactly the opposite - they had all these high ranking managers that he was trying to deal with, rather than just having a middle-management director who handled the day to day stuff and reported to senior management. In effect, they had Kimber as a consultant doing part of the job that a director should've been doing.

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
It read to me exactly the opposite - they had all these high ranking managers that he was trying to deal with, rather than just having a middle-management director who handled the day to day stuff and reported to senior management. In effect, they had Kimber as a consultant doing part of the job that a director should've been doing.

I think it is more just a general cultural problem that comes from having a near-monopoly for so long, and never having to compete. From airlines to software companies, lots of organisations have fallen victim to the "We've done it this way for so long, and we have a big audience, so what we're doing must be good" fallacy. They don't realise that their dominance comes from lack of competition rather than quality of product.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I think it is more just a general cultural problem that comes from having a near-monopoly for so long, and never having to compete. From airlines to software companies, lots of organisations have fallen victim to the "We've done it this way for so long, and we have a big audience, so what we're doing must be good" fallacy. They don't realise that their dominance comes from lack of competition rather than quality of product.

I don't think I agree that it's a "fallacy" that Grandstand's coverage has been good - it's been the soundtrack of my summer forever, and I've not had a huge problem with it til the last couple of seasons (with Maxwell's leave last summer making their problems glaringly obvious).

But reading that article, and having a bit of personal knowledge of how the ABC operates, the previous quality of their coverage seems to have been more good luck than good planning, or good recruitment, or good talent development.

You're still correct though IMO - whether it's been good or bad is semantic really. The lack of planning, recruitment or development is absolutely an issue with the workplace culture, and it's not something that can be changed overnight. I fear a little bit for what Grandstand looks like next summer because, while I don't think Whateley was brilliant at the actual cricket commentary side of things, I think he was really good at the "sportsmans night" element that Kimber referred to. I really think that Rogers and Nannes might not even still be with Grandstand if not for Whateley bringing out that side of them.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
David Morrow and Greg Mathews called tonights BBL game for Macquarie Radio played in Hobart from a Sydney studio I think. It happens in AFL and other sports but I haven't heard it done for cricket before.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
The Kimber/McNamara battle goes back a few years; Kimber has had a few potshots at him over his George Bailey comments and the standard of Ch 9 commentary while he was there.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Someone mentioned on another thread that Damien Fleming sounded like Richo. I have another couple of sound alikes.

I reckon Glen McGrath sounds like Kerry O'Keefe (when he is not being silly and wheezing) and Dean Jones sounds like Ian Chappell (almost as grumpy too).

I basically just listened to Triple M this summer. I think they have got the mix really good or at least it appeals to what I want to hear anyway.

Also I'm in love with Isa

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Is Torz the ready-made replacement for Gerard on Grandstand after his audition for a hosting gig last night?

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Like many others of my vintage, I grew up learning about cricket from Alan McGillivray's commentary. It was compulsory listening and nobody has been able to paint as precise a picture of what was going on in the middle, before or since. A number of years ago, I took exception to a remark from Peter Roebuck that I considered to be inflammatory and offensive to the extreme. Out of respect to the departed, I won't discuss what was said.

I complained to the ABC and questioned why people were allowed to make such comments on the radio. I was pretty much told that if I took offense to such comments, then maybe it best I not listen in future. So, I switched off ABC and true to my word, I have never gone back. I simply couldn't believe their attitude.

No surprise to me that they are run by idiots.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Like many others of my vintage, I grew up learning about cricket from Alan McGillivray's commentary. It was compulsory listening and nobody has been able to paint as precise a picture of what was going on in the middle, before or since. A number of years ago, I took exception to a remark from Peter Roebuck that I considered to be inflammatory and offensive to the extreme. Out of respect to the departed, I won't discuss what was said.

I complained to the ABC and questioned why people were allowed to make such comments on the radio. I was pretty much told that if I took offense to such comments, then maybe it best I not listen in future. So, I switched off ABC and true to my word, I have never gone back. I simply couldn't believe their attitude.

No surprise to me that they are run by idiots.
Not sure a lot of his actions deserve respect, to be honest. But it's a pretty appalling response from the ABC - surely it's better to either apologise or at least show some understanding to you and then do/say whatever they want after responding to you. PR 101 I would've thought.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Not sure a lot of his actions deserve respect, to be honest. But it's a pretty appalling response from the ABC - surely it's better to either apologise or at least show some understanding to you and then do/say whatever they want after responding to you. PR 101 I would've thought.

Yep, that's pretty much how I viewed it. I didn't expect them to do much about it, but I couldn't believe they suggested I either like it or lump it. Something a little more conciliatory would have been more appropriate.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I rate Dean Jones' commentary. Sure, he's no Allan McGilvray, he loves talking about himself, and way he speaks sometimes makes him sound dumb, but at least he does homework on stats, the rules, and players from every country, which is more that can be said about other commentators.

Commentating a lot overseas obviously helps his knowledge of non-Aussies

Last edited:

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I rate Dean Jones' commentary. Sure, he's no Allan McGilvray, he loves talking about himself, and way he speaks sometimes makes him sound dumb, but at least he does homework on stats, the rules, and players from every country, which is more that can be said about other commentators.

Commentating a lot overseas obviously helps his knowledge of other players

I don't always agree with his opinions, but yes does his research and remains well in touch with the game with his involvement in coaching in Bangladesh & role as international commentator.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Ian Chappell has just started a new cricket radio show on Macquarie (3aw, etc). Just on 6pm Saturdays, I think.
And 'Stumps' is back on SEN at 6pm

The first post probably should be edited, because Triple M are out and SEN are in

Ian Chappell has just started a new cricket radio show on Macquarie (3aw, etc). Just on 6pm Saturdays, I think.
And 'Stumps' is back on SEN at 6pm

The first post probably should be edited, because Triple M are out and SEN are in
Well we know what not to listen to then!

Back