Radio coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've enjoyed ABC thus far. In regards to their experts, two bowlers and two ex batsmen is a nice balance. Not convinced they need 4 ball by ball callers but Alison Mitchell being doing 40 minute stints on 7 may make that a necessity of sorts.

Ohitsthatguy

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I started with Seven's coverage but couldn't stick through Slater so I went to ABC. Shame because I think Punter is an excellent commentator but Slater just ruins any coverage.

Ed Cowan is fantastic and really love his insight on ABC.

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
ABC have improved massively since last season. It's a seriously impressive effort, what with the TV rights deal diluting the talent and Whateley/Rogers jumping ship.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If anyone's interested, Glenn Mitchell and Terry Alderman have been on Macquarie today. I dunno if it's all day or just guest spots.
It sounds like the old days on 3LO :D

Mitchell is elite and possibly the best cricket caller in the country.

Alderman actually made me turn off even when Mitchell was calling...that bad.

Call it the Spud-Huddo effect.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
I shouldn't really be this surprised, but 6PR's commentary for the Scorchers games is like having your ears gouged out with a skewer.

Karl Langdon's ignorance of any sport other than AFL (and even there he struggles when he's not in a position to do his paid cheerleading for the Eagles) is astonishing for someone ostensibly being paid for ball-by-ball commentary. Hogg sounded like he was about to deck him at some points.

Bring back ABC for the BBL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sandeano

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Space
Driving home from work tonight and was listening to the coverage of the Strikers vs Stars match on Big Bash Nation which seems to be shared by SEN and Macquarie Sports. So I tuned in to hear the last five minutes of Seb Gotch's innings. At no time did I hear what score he was on or how many balls he had faced. Even when he was out I had no idea how many runs he had made. And then for the next 4 or five wickets - never did the commentators state how many runs they had made or were out for.

Oh, I did learn that co-commentator Shaun Tait was bought to us by Red Energy, as that was mentioned every over.

Geez, how hard is it? "Smith departs for 26 from 19 balls, caught Bloggs of the bowling of Brown. It is 4/113"

Not that bloody hard.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
I won't bother asking you about why you think ABC has improved without Whateley but why do you think they're better off without Rogers?

He was very boring. When he wasn’t being boring, he used to giggle. When he was on with Whateley and Dirk Nannes, it was unlistenable

troybe

Assistant to the Travelling Secretary
Apr 19, 2008
Bunnings Institute for the Galactically Stupid
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
Just listening to 1116 AM in the car and it took a full 2 minutes to name the fielder who caught the Sri Lankan opener. Then after the second wicket fell wouldn’t/couldn’t/hadn’t named the incoming batsman I reckon for 5 minutes but by that time I was out of the car. Strange considering these are the fundamental stats/info that listeners need and want to know.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Just listening to 1116 AM in the car and it took a full 2 minutes to name the fielder who caught the Sri Lankan opener. Then after the second wicket fell wouldn’t/couldn’t/hadn’t named the incoming batsman I reckon for 5 minutes but by that time I was out of the car. Strange considering these are the fundamental stats/info that listeners need and want to know.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ABC radio not much better, tuned in to hear the score and they spent about 5 minutes waffling on about the pink ball before they bothered to mention it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back