Radio coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Been in the car today and not having the ABC commentary available I've been listening to Maquarie. Forgot how floggish Geoff Lawson is. Apart from mentioning the University of NSW every five seconds he insists on pronouncing Labuschagne as Laba-skug-nee because he has had three Zimbabweans tell him that is the correct pronunciation. Never mind the fact that Labuschagne himself has said he wants it pronounced Laba-shane.

Geoff Lawson was on Bill and Boz and said Australian commentators are lazy when it comes to Marnus's last name. I'm no Afrikaans speaker but Geoff Lawson is about as close as a non Afrikaans speaker can get to pronouncing his name correctly. There was a 'Labuschagne' in the rugby world cup last year and none of the commentators called him 'Labooshane'.

When the Aussies head to South Africa for some whiteball cricket in a month or two, he will not be called 'Labooshane'. Personally, I don't find Labuschagne that difficult to pronounce. I've never referred to him as Laba-shane and never will. Maybe I've watched too much rugby and heard the name Labuschagne too often but 'Laba-skuk-nee' isn't that hard for me.

Ian Smith, who is a sideline commentator for rugby games during the Kiwi winter would is no stranger to the name Labuschagne. I wish he ignored the 'Labooshane' memo and gone with 'Laba-skuk-nee' all summer long.

A final point, if Marnus Labuschagne's name was Schalk Labuschagne instead, he'd probably want us Australians to pronounce both of his names incorrectly.

Been in the car today and not having the ABC commentary available I've been listening to Maquarie. Forgot how floggish Geoff Lawson is. Apart from mentioning the University of NSW every five seconds he insists on pronouncing Labuschagne as Laba-skug-nee because he has had three Zimbabweans tell him that is the correct pronunciation. Never mind the fact that Labuschagne himself has said he wants it pronounced Laba-shane.
Much the same as Orazio Fantasia, I think he's given up and just let people do what they want cos it's not worth the argument.

Geoff Lawson was on Bill and Boz and said Australian commentators are lazy when it comes to Marnus's last name. I'm no Afrikaans speaker but Geoff Lawson is about as close as a non Afrikaans speaker can get to pronouncing his name correctly. There was a 'Labuschagne' in the rugby world cup last year and none of the commentators called him 'Labooshane'.

When the Aussies head to South Africa for some whiteball cricket in a month or two, he will not be called 'Labooshane'. Personally, I don't find Labuschagne that difficult to pronounce. I've never referred to him as Laba-shane and never will. Maybe I've watched too much rugby and heard the name Labuschagne too often but 'Laba-skuk-nee' isn't that hard for me.

Ian Smith, who is a sideline commentator for rugby games during the Kiwi winter would is no stranger to the name Labuschagne. I wish he ignored the 'Labooshane' memo and gone with 'Laba-skuk-nee' all summer long.

A final point, if Marnus Labuschagne's name was Schalk Labuschagne instead, he'd probably want us Australians to pronounce both of his names incorrectly.
This would partly be due to Labs validating the pronunciation.

Thank you very much.

I'm beginning to this the sport of cricket yields more flogs than any other group of people on earth. Most of these ex-cricketers that end up in commentary are right pains in the rear end.
With the rise of use and popularity of sledging the last 25 years, and my own experience in cricket, I am going to say you're spot on.

From my experience of playing cricket, I found that not only was the bowling harder to bat against the higher the grade you play, but the bigger the smartarses the bowler and fielders are towards you. I can only assume it ramps up further the higher the level you play.

Even within myself, some of the times I've caught up in heavy "banter" has mainly been while playing cricket.

I've amused myself thinking that the Australian team is made up of not only Australia's best cricketers, but Australia's best w*****s as well.

Australians commentators may well be lazy but when Marnus himself has said 'pronounce it this way if you wouldn't mind' I think that should be respected. Geoff Lawson may have his views on the correct pronunciation but surely the one whose actually bears the name should have it pronounced the way he prefers. Maybe Marnus should have taken a tougher line and made us all master this surname with the correct pronunciation or maybe he preferred not to hear it butched all the time and went for an easier version. Whatever his reasons, they should be respected. Calling someone by the name you think they should have is rude IMO. There are many names with alternative pronunciations; Cahill for example can be pronounced Cay-hill or Carl, every Cahill I ever knew growing up pronounced it Carl. The first Cay-hill I encountered were the South Australians John and Darren Cahill. Despite this when referring to John or Darren I will use their pronunciation (even though I think it sounds wrong). It's not really about the 'correct' pronunciation but more about Lawson egotistical attitude, thinks he's an expert on everything and wants to tell you about it (no doubt because he went to the University of NSW and he will make sure you know that as well!)

Last edited:
Australians commentators may well be lazy but when Marnus himself has said 'pronounce it this way if you wouldn't mind' I think that should be respected. Geoff Lawson may have his views on the correct pronunciation but surely the one whose actually bears the name should have it pronounced the way he prefers. Maybe Marnus should have taken a tougher line and made us all master this surname with the correct pronunciation or maybe he preferred not to hear it butched all the time and went for an easier version. Whatever his reasons, they should be respected. Calling someone by the name you think they should have is rude IMO. There are many names with alternative pronunciations; Cahill for example can be pronounced Cay-hill or Carl, every Cahill I ever knew growing up pronounced Carl. The first Cay=hill I encountered were the South Australians John and Darren Cahill. Despite this when referring to John or Darren I will use their pronunciation (even though I think it sounds wrong). It's not really about the 'correct' pronunciation but more about Lawson egotistical attitude, thinks he's an expert on everything and wants to tell you about it (no doubt because he went to the University of NSW and he will make sure you know that as well!)

How does a degree in optometry make one a linguistics expert

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have one of the schmick SoundDec units you buy at the ground, gives you access to ABC, Macquarie and Fox commentary + FM. Because I also brought gear on a Mastercard, I got a basic version of the SoundDec that does just the commentary, so I had the ABC in my left and Fox in my right. I alternated between ABC and Macquarie, and yes, ABC has gone downhill a bit, but Macquarie are a bunch of flogs.

But, at least Macquarie/Nine Radio aren't totally responsible for the BBL coverage (that's Crocmedia) but even then they're barely tolerable. Listening to the first Sydney Smash between Newcastle and the Upper Hunter (I was home for Xmas and there was a Jets game), they were going off their rockers waaaaaaay too much. For the Super Over I actually watched it on Kayo whilst taking a break in Singleton, because they probably would've caused me to crash along the way. :laughing:

As for Triple M....oh my god. Stick to music. Like their rebrand of their country stations (Madonna, Taylor Swift and Ray Hadley on Triple M - NO, NO, EFFIN' NO), it sucked harder than an Dyson.

Ian Chappell is on the ABC!!! What?

He was commentating on Macquarie but they lost the rights along with Ch9 so he probably has no other option but to commentate on the ABC.

He would probably be on a fraction of the money he was on in his other commentary gigs but he could afford to do it love and not money now.

He's still a quality commentator so it's good that he is still commentating somewhere, a lot of the older ABC listeners would appreciate him.

He was commentating on Macquarie but they lost the rights along with Ch9 so he probably has no other option but to commentate on the ABC.

He would probably be on a fraction of the money he was on in his other commentary gigs but he could afford to do it love and not money now.

He's still a quality commentator so it's good that he is still commentating somewhere, a lot of the older ABC listeners would appreciate him.
In what bizarro world is he a quality commentator? He makes my ears bleed with the drivel he spouts.

In what bizarro world is he a quality commentator? He makes my ears bleed with the drivel he spouts.

As opposed to the drivel Warne, Mark Waugh and Slater spout on Fox/Ch7?

You can't question Ian Chappell's knowledge of the game and he isn't afraid to give a strong unpopular opinion that ruffles a few feathers.

He never held back on his contempt for Don Bradman when most other people held him up as an untouchable god of Australian cricket.

He was also a major player in taking on the Australian cricket board and forcing them to make the game professional with World Series Cricket.

He does bang on at times with his old stories from the 70s with Dougie Walters, Rod Marsh and Dennis Lillee but they are great stories,

They s**t all over the old 90s and Noughties stories from some of the current cricket commentators.

As opposed to the drivel Warne, Mark Waugh and Slater spout on Fox/Ch7?

You can't question Ian Chappell's knowledge of the game and he isn't afraid to give a strong unpopular opinion that ruffles a few feathers.

He never held back on his contempt for Don Bradman when most other people held him up as an untouchable god of Australian cricket.

He was also a major player in taking on the Australian cricket board and forcing them to make the game professional with World Series Cricket.

He does bang on at times with his old stories from the 70s with Dougie Walters, Rod Marsh and Dennis Lillee but they are great stories,

They sh*t all over the old 90s and Noughties stories from some of the current cricket commentators.
Where did I say those guys were any better (apart from the fact that Warne absolutely is better).

His cricket knowledge is outdated and "unafraid to ruffle feathers" basically means he's a dickhead that would rather be controversial than right.

He is undoubtedly the worst of the old channel 9 team.

Where did I say those guys were any better (apart from the fact that Warne absolutely is better).

His cricket knowledge is outdated and "unafraid to ruffle feathers" basically means he's a dickhead that would rather be controversial than right.

He is undoubtedly the worst of the old channel 9 team.

Not sure about the worst of the old channel 9 team, he is the last one standing though, the rest of them are in cricket heaven like Richie, Tony and Max or retired like Bill.

As for his cricket knowledge being outdated, his opinion that cricket captains should be more aggressive and that coaches are the things that cricketers should travel to the ground on still holds true. Warnie agrees with that opinion too so it can't be that outdated.

Not sure about the worst of the old channel 9 team, he is the last one standing though, the rest of them are in cricket heaven like Richie, Tony and Max or retired like Bill.

As for his cricket knowledge being outdated, his opinion that cricket captains should be more aggressive and that coaches are the things that cricketers should travel to the ground on still holds true. Warnie agrees with that opinion too so it can't be that outdated.
A broken clock is right twice a day.

By the old channel 9 crew I meant all of them. And I'm not a fan of Slater or Healy by any stretch of the imagination. I'd rather listen to nails on a blackboard than listen to his drivel.

Chappelli's anecdotes are more than a bit worn on some of us who have heard them repeated for decades. For people who haven't been glued to the TV since Sri Lanka weren't a Test side, they aren't going to be so tedious.

Its good to still have someone from older eras around while its still possible. He does have his favourites, and decades old grudges - but its not like the newer breed are immune from that (Warne especially).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back