Radio coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

I blame the fact his brother works at the ABC for him getting employed
Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF

SEN clearly the best option for radio comm. Crappy ads & promos let it down slightly but they easily have the best lineup who take their job of describing the action, tactics and various on + off field machinations seriously
I'm so used to the ABC that ads on the radio for cricket will always seem intrusive - but I recon I could get used to them at the end of overs (just like on the TV really).

I can't handle it when the actual commentators insert little ads into what they are saying during the broadcast though. Totally kills the vibe.

Mitchell Johnson has quit the ABC because they won't allow him to have a personal sponsorship with a betting company.

Apparently in talks with Triple M instead.
Disappointing, have enjoyed him when in the car over the last two summers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the first summer where we won't hear Ian Chappell on commentary either on radio or TV for just over 40 years. He wasn't everybody's cup of tea, nor did he want to be. While I still hold the view he ventured into grumpy old man territory last summer, I will miss his knowledgeable and forthright commentary.

One little bit commentary I still remember came just at the start of the final session of day 5 of the 2016 Boxing Day test. Pakistan started the final session with about 5-6 wickets in hand, had no hope of winning, they were batting to try and draw the match. Chappelli was on with Tim Lane and Glenn McGrath. Tim Lane asked his fellow commentators if they were a bit anxious about what might unfold heading into the last session. Chappelli's reply: "I stopped caring about the outcome of a game of cricket in 1980, Tim''.

Kim Hughes will join ABC's coverage this summer, presumably as Ian Chappell's replacement. There's a hint of irony in that as I don't think Chappelli was overly fond of Kim Hughes as a captain at least. Glenn McGrath will also be part of the ABC's coverage, replacing Mitchell Johnson who left the ABC over an issue around his association with a gambling company.

Triple M's press release regarding their summer of cricket coverage this summer: Brian Lara joins Triple M’s cricket commentary team

This is the first summer where we won't hear Ian Chappell on commentary either on radio or TV for just over 40 years. He wasn't everybody's cup of tea, nor did he want to be. While I still hold the view he ventured into grumpy old man territory last summer, I will miss his knowledgeable and forthright commentary.

One little bit commentary I still remember came just at the start of the final session of day 5 of the 2016 Boxing Day test. Pakistan started the final session with about 5-6 wickets in hand, had no hope of winning, they were batting to try and draw the match. Chappelli was on with Tim Lane and Glenn McGrath. Tim Lane asked his fellow commentators if they were a bit anxious about what might unfold heading into the last session. Chappelli's reply: "I stopped caring about the outcome of a game of cricket in 1980, Tim''.

Kim Hughes will join ABC's coverage this summer, presumably as Ian Chappell's replacement. There's a hint of irony in that as I don't think Chappelli was overly fond of Kim Hughes as a captain at least. Glenn McGrath will also be part of the ABC's coverage, replacing Mitchell Johnson who left the ABC over an issue around his association with a gambling company.

Triple M's press release regarding their summer of cricket coverage this summer: Brian Lara joins Triple M’s cricket commentary team

I'm glad Kim is getting a gig. I know he has his share of detractors but the bloke always has a (huge) spot in my heart. My favourite cricketer as a kid and one who just seemed to love the game. Somewhat like when I was 11 years old when I got the feeling of the bat hitting the ball on the sweet spot and going for four or six (remember that feeling?) To me Kim has always epitomised that feeling and his constant positivity will enliven the game no-end. Especially compared to the moaning of Ian "let me tell you what Les Favell once told me" Chappell.

Also, because Kim has had some well documented recent issues with the grog, I am pleased to see him him getting a go.

Love ya, Kim!

Listened a bit to the ABC for the first time in awhile as i had no other choices. Someone needs to tap Jim Maxwell on the shoulder, Kim Hughes is also terrible. Do like Carl Hooper though, surprised no network has used him before especially on BBL given he lives in Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back