Radiohead 50-1

Remove this Banner Ad

Geeze don't know how one could sit through 50 radiohead tracks at once without shooting yourself in the face

It's called music appreciation.
Get yourself a good set of headphones and have a listen. You may be surprised.

Top 5 tracks? Almost impossible as that can change upon listens.

An obvious one, but Karma Police gets to me every time.
1. Karma Police (mostly the ending)
2. Pyramid Song
3. Reckoner
4. National Anthem
5. Idioteque

Geeze don't know how one could sit through 50 radiohead tracks at once without shooting yourself in the face

yep

I feel the same way about The Cure. Both have great songs but I limit the listening time as they are too depressing.

#40 Backdrifts

Album: Hail to the Thief
Favourite Line: We´re rotten fruit, we´re damaged goods, what the hell we've got nothing more to lose.

For some reason this song is not really popular with a lot of Radiohead fans, I don't know why. It has amazing drums and great guitar effects. It is one of the songs that contributes to the album's unique style. Certainly a lot better than The Gloaming, it is one of my personal favourites off HTTF.

# 39 Bodysnatchers

Album: In Rainbows
Favourite Line: Blink your eyes, one for yes, two for no

This song has almost no place on the album. It is completely out of sync with all the other songs (with the exception of 15 step) and just feels weird when listening to In Rainbows in full. In isolation however it is a ripper of a track, with shredding guitars and one of the most memorable key changes the band have made. Recorded in an 18th century British mansion it is 4 minutes of probably the most up-tempo song Radiohead have ever made.

Hail to the Thief minus I Will, We Suck and Backdrifts would be super for mine (belong as b-sides). Personally always dug The Gloaming. Honestly Backdrifts wouldn't come within leagues of my top 50, but that's the charm of these lists, glad it has some fans.

#40 Backdrifts

Favourite Line: We´re rotten fruit, we´re damaged goods, what the hell we've got nothing more to lose.

For some reason this song is not really popular with a lot of Radiohead fans, I don't know why. It has amazing drums and great guitar effects. It is one of the songs that contributes to the album's unique style. Certainly a lot better than The Gloaming, it is one of my personal favourites off HTTF.

Good lord!

Hail To The Thief is one of those albums you don't acknowledge for a year then get into, think 'wow this is good!' and then get really sick of within a week. Other records like this are Blur's Think Tank and Pavement's Terror Twilight... generally albums that come at the end or a weird time for a band, with a unique vibe, and something like an atmosphere that's fantastic but just not enough good songs (but the good ones are amongst the bands best).

Backdrifts though is just rubbish. One of the worst Radiohead songs ever recorded. If I listened to it now I'd probably like it but a few listens and I'd be happy to not hear it again for another few months. Just a bad bad song.

But hey that's my input.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#38 Decks Dark

Album: A Moon Shaped Pool
Favourite Line: But it was just a laugh, just a laugh, Just a laugh, just a laugh Even at this angle, and so we crumble.

This song really starts a run of songs that create the atmosphere of AMSP. The opening 2 tracks really don't fit the feel and sound strangely out of place, Burn the Witch especially. Lyrically it has a very similar style to Subterranean Homesick Alien, which was also the third track on OK Computer. It appears that this song, like a few others on this album are reflective on Yorke's personal life and his breakup with his long term partner.

Last edited:
I quite like A Moon Shaped Pool but to me it's a pretty weird messy album and has far too many atmospheres going on.

There's stuff like Daydreaming, Decks Dark, Glass Eyes, Tinker Tailor, True Love Waits which are how I think of the album – fragile, pretty, delicate sort of numbers that sound a lot like sad resignation. Then there's the glitchy, quasi-dance stuff like Identikit and Ful Stop, then the chilly guitar songs (Present Tense, The Numbers, Desert Island Disc all rated in rank of decency there) and then Burn The Witch. I understand the album was made very quickly and there's a lot of personal hardship in its making but it's a pretty weird album. I wish they maybe kept Ful Stop and Identikit and coupled it with Cut A Hole and made the glitchy, electronic, woodsy album and then put in something like Skirting On The Surface (sad version) and I Froze Up or Wake Me to keep the vibe a lot more cohesive. You could probably keep Burn The Witch in there too if you wanted.

#37 2+2=5

Favourite Line: I swat them like flies, but like flies the buggers keep coming back

The opening track from HTTF was a the heaviest song the band had recorded in at least 5 years, however it was not a return to their 'rock roots' it was more just necessary for the nature and themes of this song. The title is a reference to 1984 by George Orwell. The lyrics and secondary title (The Lukewarm) is a reference to the people who are either ignorant or uninterested in corrupt politics and business practices, giving rise to an Orwellian society.

Did my top 50 on a Richmond sub forum which got some interesting reactions even more so with no OK Computer songs until 13

My top 10 are as follows

1 Stop Whispering usa vs Pablo Honey
2 Knives Out . Amnesiac
3 There, There . HTTT
4 Planet Telex. The Bends
5 A Wolf at the Door HTTT
6 sulk The Bends
7 Pyramid Song Amnesiac
8 Bangers And Mash In Rainbows
9 Fog HTTT
10 Where I End And You Begin HTTT

Did my top 50 on a Richmond sub forum which got some interesting reactions even more so with no OK Computer songs until 13

My top 10 are as follows

1 Stop Whispering usa vs Pablo Honey
2 Knives Out . Amnesiac
3 There, There . HTTT
4 Planet Telex. The Bends
5 A Wolf at the Door HTTT
6 sulk The Bends
7 Pyramid Song Amnesiac
8 Bangers And Mash In Rainbows
9 Fog HTTT
10 Where I End And You Begin HTTT

Always forget how good 'Fog' studio version sounds!!

#36 Myxomatosis

Favourite Line: My thoughts are misguided and a little naïve I twitch and salivate Like with myxomatosis

There are times when I listen to HTTF and I just can't listen to this song, it is so polarizing even to me. One day I will listen to it and think it is magic, the next time I will see it is a train wreck. Overall I think it deserves a spot on the list simply for how unique a sound it is. You will not find another Radiohead song so overloaded with distortion. Lyrically it is an odd one too, I can't figure out what it is about.. None of the theories/ideas on forums make much sense to me either.

Hail to the Thief minus I Will, We Suck and Backdrifts would be super for mine (belong as b-sides). Personally always dug The Gloaming. Honestly Backdrifts wouldn't come within leagues of my top 50, but that's the charm of these lists, glad it has some fans.

I'd keep them, i don't know why i would, i'd ditch the gloaming though, song needs more work on it ...
The Daily Mail would be perfect on Hail to the Thief, it would make it a classic record. I read they wrote it around 2003, it's so beatle-esque and has very political lyrics. throw it in the middle somewhere and somehow the album takes on a whole new level.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back