Radiohead 50-1

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year I published my 20 favourite Radiohead song recordings (which had evolved over two decades). It went like this:

1. How to Disappear Completely (Kid A)
2. Reckoner (IR)
3. I Might Be Wrong (Amnesiac)
4. Lotus Flower (TKOL)
5. Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong (My Iron Lung EP)
6. Like Spinning Plates (IMBW version)
7. Let Down (OKC)
8. No Surprises (OKC)
9. Climbing up the Walls (OKC)
10. Electioneering (OKC)

11. Nude (IR)
12. The Bends (Bends)
13. You (PH)
14. Go Slowly (Basement version)
15. Where I End and You Begin (HTTT)
16. Bodysnatchers (IR)
17. Creep (PH)
18. Ful Stop (AMSP)
19. Bulletproof (I Wish I Was) (Bends)
20. Fake Plastic Trees (Bends)

Leaving out classics like Paranoid Android, Knives Out, Dollars & Cents, Pyramid Song, Everything in its Right Place, Weird Fishes, etc. was just utterly brutal. Would be completely cool with someone having an entirely different top 20. If I was a teen who just got supa into them I imagine it would look a little different.

Last edited:

Last year I published my 20 favourite Radiohead song recordings (which had evolved over two decades). It went like this:

1. How to Disappear Completely (Kid A)
2. Reckoner (IR)
3. I Might Be Wrong (Amnesiac)
4. Lotus Flower (TKOL)
5. Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong (My Iron Lung EP)
6. Like Spinning Plates (IMBW version)
7. Let Down (OKC)
8. No Surprises (OKC)
9. Climbing up the Walls (OKC)
10. Electioneering (OKC)

11. Nude (IR)
12. The Bends (Bends)
13. You (PH)
14. Go Slowly (Basement version)
15. Where I End and You Begin (HTTT)
16. Bodysnatchers (IR)
17. Creep (PH)
18. Ful Stop (AMSP)
19. Bulletproof (I Wish I Was) (Bends)
20. Fake Plastic Trees (Bends)

Leaving out classics like Paranoid Android, Knives Out, Dollars & Cents, Pyramid Song, Everything in its Right Place, Weird Fishes, etc. was just utterly brutal. Would be completely cool with someone having an entirely different top 20. If I was a teen who just got supa into them I imagine it would look a little different.
Wow. It takes seven songs to get to an OKC song. All good, we’ve all got different tastes.
No love for The National Anthem?
PA has to be in mine.
Everything In It’s Right Place as well.
Weird fishes. Yep
But yep, How to Disappear Completely is up there!
Hard list to make. I might try....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The lyrics and climax of There There still blow my mind, would be in my top 5.

Have you guys been watching any of the live concerts they’ve been releasing each week on their YouTube Channel? Some great shows - the South American one was nuts with the crowd loudly singing every single word, even the obscured songs, you could see the band were just loving it.

I mean to (I probably saw some of them back in the day during mid/late 00s YT, as well as those that made it to DVD back in the day, but RH are always a quality live act with many more to explore). But I just recently went through one of those Pearl Jam live tears (must have seen at least 15 during April lockdown), and so a little burnt out on watching a gazillion live shows at the moment.

Top 4 for me is:

Fake Plastic Trees
Let Down
How to Disappear Completely
Reckoner

I can never decide what comes next. I love You and Whose Army in the album context, but it loses a little as a stand alone song, Weird Fishes and Jigsaw are cool, but not quite the same level as the top 4. Staircase is pretty amazing especially seeing them do the from the basement version (All I Need went up a bit for me after seeing the from the basement video too). Bulletproof and Dollars and Cents are personal favourites but not quite at the level to put 5th. Glass Eyes and Present Tense, or Codex and Separator are great and frequently wander into my top 10, but again don't quite match the first four. I like Creep more than Paranoid Android or There There (they're interesting but don't take me where a lot of Radiohead does). Same goes for Karma Police and No Surprises. I like Lucky, but again, not quite there...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back