Radiohead vs Muse poll

Dunno about this. I reckon Matt Bellamy is a better musician than anyone in Radiohead but I think that's where it ends. I honestly don't think the drummer could handle the complex rhythm of Pyramid Song or the bassist could handle the 7/8 breakdown section of Paranoid Android etc.
Ever heard Hysteria, Chris is a very good Bass player;)

[youtube]uJg8U0QMXEQ[/youtube]

LMAO at U2 trying to play Muse songs, they couldn't play the piano parts up to scratch, and its very amusing the thought of them trying to play a song like Knights of Cydonia, wouldn't have a chance to pull it off

just maybe

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2005
Other Teams
Adelaide

That bassline is easy mate. Did the distortion confuse you?

LMAO at U2 trying to play Muse songs, they couldn't play the piano parts up to scratch, and its very amusing the thought of them trying to play a song like Knights of Cydonia, wouldn't have a chance to pull it off

So tell us what you know about the musical abilities of the members of U2? Or are you just indulging in Muse fanboyism?

LIONS then DAYLIGHT

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Nov 13, 2004
Proud Queenslander
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team, Roy, Punter.

[youtube]uJg8U0QMXEQ[/youtube]

The real question is are Muse better Songwriters then U2.

Really U2 are leagues ahead.

Refer to an earlier post.

Songwriting is the real art.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Nov 13, 2004
Proud Queenslander
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team, Roy, Punter.
That bassline is easy mate. Did the distortion confuse you?

So tell us what you know about the musical abilities of the members of U2? Or are you just indulging in Muse fanboyism?

U2 are constantly better at producing GREATER songs then Muse and have been for the last 20 years.

Muse are lightweights compared to U2 anyone who thinks otherwise is hanging on to the old my band are better musicans then yours.

Fine, go to guitar school and worship them.

Songwriting is the hardest job of them wall, in that respect U2 have muse and most other bands covered.

Thank You Very Much Indeed.

Far enough, in my opinion, but i also think most people would agree that U2 have a greater array of songs then Belly and his mates in Muse.
Hey I love Muse, but I can also admit they have a lot of work to do to be held in the same regard as U2, but if they keep pulling off albums the quality that they have in Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry, Absolution and BH&R, they will have every right to be up their with U2, but the thing that got it started was JM's opinion that U2 could pull of ANY muse song and do a good job of it, they couldn't, Bono could never sing for a song like Knights of Cydonia without it sounding s**t, and they don't have somebody who could play the piano up to scratch.
They are two very different bands

just maybe

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2005
Other Teams
Adelaide
Hey I love Muse, but I can also admit they have a lot of work to do to be held in the same regard as U2, but if they keep pulling off albums the quality that they have in Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry, Absolution and BH&R, they will have every right to be up their with U2, but the thing that got it started was JM's opinion that U2 could pull of ANY muse song and do a good job of it, they couldn't, Bono could never sing for a song like Knights of Cydonia without it sounding s**t, and they don't have somebody who could play the piano up to scratch.
They are two very different bands

So tell me what you know about Edge's piano playing.

Please.

I'd love to hear it.

Oh, and Muse will never reach U2's heights for 2 reasons: 1. 75% of every Muse album is poorly written musical masturbation 2. They're too pretentious to appeal to a wide array of people.

Shmoses

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Ever heard Hysteria, Chris is a very good Bass player
Yeah I have and it's got nothing on the section in Paranoid Android I was talking about. In fact that riff is pretty damn easy to play, lots of open strings and nothing really musically out of the ordinary, 4/4, minor key, pretty simple really.

Muse are better musicans then Radiohead but i would say the 5 members of radiohead are collectively better songwriters who challenge themselves with their individual style.

Whilst I agree with most of this, I disagree with some.

As Shmoses put, I think Bellamy is a better musician than the members of Radiohead (especially when his romantic piano talent is taken into account). However I'm not sure if on the whole you could definatively call Muse the greater musicians. You could quite easily argue that due to the very complexity of Radiohead's music that Phil and Colin are at least as good as their Muse counterparts, Jonny and Ed were placed 59th and 60th in Rolling Stone's greatest guitarists of all time, which is a fairly decent honor. Jonny is also proficient in the Ondes Martenot, plays the Glockenspiel and is responsible for string arrangements on some songs. Add this to bands collective use of synths, samplers, touch pads and laptop music programs.

A lot of this may well come into your "the 5 members of radiohead are collectively better songwriters" comment but seeing as most songs are written solely by Thom with some assistance from Jonny, I'm not sure how you justify that comment.

mr_cellotape

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jonny and Ed were placed 59th and 60th in Rolling Stone's greatest guitarists of all time, which is a fairly decent honor.

And Morello was in the top 10, and Jack White was in the top 20. Point being, that doesn't prove a damn thing.

Add this to bands collective use of synths, samplers, touch pads and laptop music programs.

OMG what talent!! :rolleyes:

Frickin' Radiohead fans...

And Morello was in the top 10,

26 is between 1 and 10?

and Jack White was in the top 20. Point being, that doesn't prove a damn thing.

As opposed to the personal opinions of people who post on internet forums.

OMG what talent!! :rolleyes:

Frickin' Radiohead fans...

Typical response of those who have no argument: "I personally don't think of that as talent, so therefore it can't be talent".

Or perhaps it's the "i listen to guitar music, therefore all other music is talentless and invalid response". Either way hardly an argument.

You've posted nothing to show why Radiohead aren't at least as good as Muse as musicians or songwriters.

mr_cellotape

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As opposed to the personal opinions of people who post on internet forums.

Like yours?

Typical response of those who have no argument: "I personally don't think of that as talent, so therefore it can't be talent". Or perhaps it's the "i listen to guitar music, therefore all other music is talentless and invalid response". Either way hardly an argument.

Nice assumptions. Incorrect, but nice nonetheless.

You've posted nothing to show why Radiohead aren't at least as good as Muse as musicians or songwriters.

Well I'm not going to convince elitist Radiohead fans anyway, because they've got their heads too far up Thom 'Gimpy-Eye' Yorke's arse.

Remember, your supporting arguments were a Rolling Stone list, and their ability to use samplers (i.e. a skill that a chimp could be taught). I mean really, that's all you've got?

Shmoses

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Remember, your supporting arguments were a Rolling Stone list, and their ability to use samplers (i.e. a skill that a chimp could be taught). I mean really, that's all you've got?
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahaha

i'm laughing so hard i think i'm crying

hahah what a moron

i assume you're extremely proficient with samplers then?

mr_cellotape

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahaha

i'm laughing so hard i think i'm crying

hahah what a moron

i assume you're extremely proficient with samplers then?

How predictable that the "oh the genres of music that I listen to use samplers so of course they require talent to use" idiots would decend upon that comment.

Back