Radiohead

the_interloper

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It's called an opinion mate. You know, people have them. IMO, Radiohead >>>>>The coconut tree Keith Richards fell out of>>>>> The Rolling Stones. And 40 hit songs or whatever in an era dominated by rock and roll is impressive, but you can't seriously compare it with what Radiohead have done in this generation. Bit like comparing Andrew Johns to Leigh Matthews.
The one thing that the Stones have is amazing longevity, something that Radiohead are yet to achieve. They may well do so, but until they have had a 40 year career they aren't ahead of the Stones, IMO.

I don't like Radiohead, but i appreciate how good they are to some people, i just think people are getting a bit carried away comparing them to the Beatles, Stones etc.

La Dispute

La Dispute
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins
The one thing that the Stones have is amazing longevity, something that Radiohead are yet to achieve. They may well do so, but until they have had a 40 year career they aren't ahead of the Stones, IMO.

I don't like Radiohead, but i appreciate how good they are to some people, i just think people are getting a bit carried away comparing them to the Beatles, Stones etc.
Longevity is one thing, but aside from a 3-4 stretch of albums The Rolling Stones tapered off and haven't produced a very good album since the 70's. They sit in the same category as The Smashing Pumpkins for having far more mediocre albums than they do very good-classic LP's.

Radiohead's middle tier, for arguments sake albums like Amnesiac, AMSP and HTTT are far better than The Rolling Stones next best after (however you order them) Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Mainstream Street.

La Dispute

La Dispute
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Mainly came in this thread to post this:

Never been a big TKOL fan, but there's some much more depth and warmth in these tracks. They've added some additional instruments and filled in some of the sonic gaps that IMO brought that LP down.

The In Rainbows session is amazing as well, but once you've heard TKOL tracks in that format you don't really want to go back.

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
On the original thread topic, I love Radiohead, not sure if being a collective genius makes you the greatest ever - the Ramones were borderline talentless yet were a colossal and revered group (including by me).

However a work like Paranoid Android - short of MAYBE a group like Pink Floyd I simply don’t see how anyone else in music history could have written a song like that. Some bands might have been abstract enough to come up with something equally left field lyrically but having learned the music inside out, I can’t fathom how it would have first been written.

The great riff bands throughout history, while obviously I couldn’t write the riffs of a Keith Richards or Jimmy Page, I can see from a musical standpoint how they would have been written and how they could come up with them. I have no idea how a song like Paranoid Android could have been started let alone pieced together.

On the flip side of all that, I can appreciate where someone like Noel Gallagher comes from when he said ‘I reckon if Thom Yorke ******* sh*t into a light bulb and started blowing it like an empty beer bottle it'd probably get 9 out of 10 in ******* Mojo.’

La Dispute

La Dispute
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gallagher is just a knob who couldn’t handle that Standing On the Shoulders of Giants didn’t get the reception Kid A did
Talks a lot of rubbish, but also has some reasonable opinions on other artists even if they are partly laid out with some additional interest.

I’ve always enjoyed his Damon Albarn drive bys.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
They’ve been active on TikTok strangely enough.

I think something is in the works, possibly a Kid A re-release.

Ed mentioned earlier in the year that a new album was some time away

Mootsy

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
They’ve been active on TikTok strangely enough.

I think something is in the works, possibly a Kid A re-release.

Ed mentioned earlier in the year that a new album was some time away
My guess is it's Kid/Amnesiac, however if you look at how they released OKNOTOK, an announcement should happen very soon or it's been pushed forward.
Maybe a new surprise album, a slim chance.
Releasing all their live material from the archives for download.

Roobs321

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I’m assuming Kid A/Amnesiac anniversary-ish reissue

Seefeel had some similarly cryptic clues a few months ago which predictably led to Succour-era anniversary reissues. Kid A has the sort of canon stature where a 20th anniversary edition will almost certainly make a belated pandemic era appearance.

La Dispute

La Dispute
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Re-issues have never really interested me, but an album worth of cuts from the Kid A and Amnesiac sessions sounds amazing. The Disc 2 and OK Computer B-sides album (?) were both cool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad