Radiohead

Without comparing it to the rest of their collection, The Bends is one of the greatest rock albums of the ‘90s. It’s almost the perfect rock album which is what they set out to achieve apparently.

After Creep exploded I remember them touring and they played this show at the Palace ‘94 (I wasn’t there unfortunately!) and had all these new songs pre Bends release, and were frustrated cos they knew these songs were awesome but the crowd obv just wanted to hear Pablo Honey.

Can’t remember where I heard all this but it stayed with me.

From a personal perspective I bought the Creep “cassingle🤣” cos I loved the song so much. Not sure i still have it, no way to play it if I do, not sure cassette’s last that long anyway! Stupidly I didn’t buy the Bends as High and Dry didn’t grab me, but was lured back by OKC.

I know it’s simply not cool to rave about it and I understand why it became a millstone around their neck but Creep is such a brilliant song on both a musical and contextual level.
Not sure if this is in response to me or not but I agree. It was my favourite song of the concert I saw in ‘97(?) at Festy Hall, it just exploded. I’m showing my age talking about bloody cassingles though!

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Without comparing it to the rest of their collection, The Bends is one of the greatest rock albums of the ‘90s. It’s almost the perfect rock album which is what they set out to achieve apparently.

After Creep exploded I remember them touring and they played this show at the Palace ‘94 (I wasn’t there unfortunately!) and had all these new songs pre Bends release, and were frustrated cos they knew these songs were awesome but the crowd obv just wanted to hear Pablo Honey.

Can’t remember where I heard all this but it stayed with me.

From a personal perspective I bought the Creep “cassingle🤣” cos I loved the song so much. Not sure i still have it, no way to play it if I do, not sure cassette’s last that long anyway! Stupidly I didn’t buy the Bends as High and Dry didn’t grab me, but was lured back by OKC.

I know it’s simply not cool to rave about it and I understand why it became a millstone around their neck but Creep is such a brilliant song on both a musical and contextual level.

Creep is still Radiohead's best selling single ever. I think that is why the band hate it. The rest of Pablo Honey is trash - but I love Creep.

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
An over-rated band. Their signature song "Creep" is plagiarized from a Hollies song. They got sued and had to give Hollies writing credits. Ouch... embarrassing.

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
If anyone thinks that Radiohead's signature song is 'Creep' then I'm not surprised that they also think that they're overrated, because in that case they would be.
If you did a poll of the entire planet... on which song they most like and identify with Radiohead... it would UNDOUBTEDLY be Creep.... Hence.. "signature song". What part of that does your mind not grasp??

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
Certain irony to getting the details here wrong.
It's doubly ironic when your call of ironic is then proven to be ironic for being false..

You only had to google it... it's not like it's a secret that Radiohead settled out of court with the Hollies and gave them both credit and royalties for Creep.. and justifiably so.
What part of this does your little brain not comprehend?
This is straight from Wikipedia's Radiohead page. .... I'm sure you think it's a trusty source:

Hit me back with where you think I got it wrong... I'm all ears.

Copyright infringement[edit]​

The chord progression and melody in "Creep" is similar to those of the 1972 song "The Air That I Breathe", written by Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood.[72] Rondor Music, the publisher of "The Air That I Breathe", sued Radiohead, and Hammond and Hazlewood received cowriting credits and a percentage of the royalties. Hammond said Radiohead were "honest" about having reused the composition, and so he and Hazlewood agreed to take only "a little piece" of the royalties.[73]

In January 2018, the American singer Lana Del Rey said on Twitter that Radiohead were taking legal action against her for allegedly plagiarising "Creep" on her 2017 track "Get Free", and had asked for 100% of publishing royalties instead of Del Rey's offer of 40%. She denied that "Creep" had inspired "Get Free".[74] Radiohead's publisher Warner/Chappell Music confirmed it was seeking songwriting credits for "all writers" of "Creep", but denied that a lawsuit had been brought or that Radiohead had demanded 100% of royalties.[75] In March, Del Rey told an audience that "my lawsuit's over, I guess I can sing that song any time I want".[76] The writing credits for "Get Free" were not updated on the database of the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers.[76]

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
It's doubly ironic when your call of ironic is then proven to be ironic for being false..

You only had to google it... it's not like it's a secret that Radiohead settled out of court with the Hollies and gave them both credit and royalties for Creep.. and justifiably so.
What part of this does your little brain not comprehend?
This is straight from Wikipedia's Radiohead page. .... I'm sure you think it's a trusty source:

Hit me back with where you think I got it wrong... I'm all ears.

Copyright infringement[edit]​

The chord progression and melody in "Creep" is similar to those of the 1972 song "The Air That I Breathe", written by Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood.[72] Rondor Music, the publisher of "The Air That I Breathe", sued Radiohead, and Hammond and Hazlewood received cowriting credits and a percentage of the royalties. Hammond said Radiohead were "honest" about having reused the composition, and so he and Hazlewood agreed to take only "a little piece" of the royalties.[73]

In January 2018, the American singer Lana Del Rey said on Twitter that Radiohead were taking legal action against her for allegedly plagiarising "Creep" on her 2017 track "Get Free", and had asked for 100% of publishing royalties instead of Del Rey's offer of 40%. She denied that "Creep" had inspired "Get Free".[74] Radiohead's publisher Warner/Chappell Music confirmed it was seeking songwriting credits for "all writers" of "Creep", but denied that a lawsuit had been brought or that Radiohead had demanded 100% of royalties.[75] In March, Del Rey told an audience that "my lawsuit's over, I guess I can sing that song any time I want".[76] The writing credits for "Get Free" were not updated on the database of the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers.[76]
Who do you think Hammond and Hazelwood are?

Back