Radiohead

Jimi

Draftee
Melbourne Demons - Dominic Barry 2013 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe 2013 Player Sponsor
Oct 10, 2004
Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
How can anyone possibly say what the greatest band of all time is. It's all relative to your own taste and therefore affected by bias.

Correct weight Eagle Farm! :thumbsu: There would be some definitive measures to come up with the "greatest" band I'm sure (concert sales, CD sales etc) but there are just as many which are subjective (influence, musical ability, originality) so it's impossible really.

FWIW, I generally say the Beatles are the greatest and then it's the rest, but Metallica are my fave all time band. Who cares really, bands are there to be listened to, not ranked against each other.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Correct weight Eagle Farm! :thumbsu: There would be some definitive measures to come up with the "greatest" band I'm sure (concert sales, CD sales etc) but there are just as many which are subjective (influence, musical ability, originality) so it's impossible really.

FWIW, I generally say the Beatles are the greatest and then it's the rest, but Metallica are my fave all time band. Who cares really, bands are there to be listened to, not ranked against each other.

I agree with that.

I think Radiohead are brilliant. I also think U2 are brilliant. I also loved Muse live at the BDO when I saw them but do not own any CD's, so that is just some of the bands mentioned above.

It is possible to enjoy more than one band. Most of the bands that have been mentioned in this thread are bands that I enjoy. Some bands, I hate, but that is my opinion.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
Great band but I think Led Zep, Beatles and Floyd (amongst others) have them covered for greatest ever. From a more recent viewpoint I like Tool better also. If we are talking about the art and live performance despite 10,000 Days being very disappointing.

Apr 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Radiohead: 'Kings Of Leon Are The Greatest Band In The World'
U2 said Radiohead was the greatest band in the world.....

and Powderfinger said U2 was the greatest band in the world....

besides..... Ed O'brien is just there to look pretty...... he's been pretty much been designated "random instrument" man after Thom boggarted his backup guitar role..... pretty sad really :/

As far as I'm concerned Radiohead are the greatest band of all time, however I haven't heard every band so my opinion is pretty much only important to me. If someone posted a thread stating that the Spice Girls were the greatest band ever I wouldn't even open it, let alone post in it.

Cheers for that Gnarls Barkley clip too, I like hearing other bands versions of Radiohead songs, I even liked the John Mayer version of Kid A.

Jimi

Draftee
Melbourne Demons - Dominic Barry 2013 Player Sponsor Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe 2013 Player Sponsor
Oct 10, 2004
Cheers for that Gnarls Barkley clip too, I like hearing other bands versions of Radiohead songs, I even liked the John Mayer version of Kid A.

No worries.

Check this one out too. Aussie singer Sia doing Paranoid Android.
[YOUTUBE]M3Uq0SL4604[/YOUTUBE]

Mattman93

high ceiling
Jun 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
I honestly believe that its impossible to really truely have a go at listening to radiohead and not like them. i think all of you who doubt them just havn't heard enough of them. For mine:
-Beatles
-Pink Floyd
-Radiohead
-Led Zepplin

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I honestly believe that its impossible to really truely have a go at listening to radiohead and not like them. i think all of you who doubt them just havn't heard enough of them. For mine:
-Beatles
-Pink Floyd
-Radiohead
-Led Zepplin

Well that's just stupid really. For every great band in the world there are people who don't like them, not one band can appeal to everyone. I've listened to The Bends, Ok Computer and the one with Creep on it and it just didn't do anything for me. I made the effort to listen to some of their albums because people rave about them so much, at least now i know i don't like them on their merits. Believe me, there are plenty who don't like Radiohead.

randyzany

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
How can anyone possibly say what the greatest band of all time is. It's all relative to your own taste and therefore affected by bias.

Quoted for truth. Anybody that lays claim to such and such band (i.e beatles) being the greatest because it's their favourite genre of music is an A class pretentious *insert_appropriate_adjective* :thumbsdown:

Specially when it comes to the predictable beatles, led zeppelin, pink floyd etc...absolute overrated *%^* :D. Just my personal opinion, don't get mad because they're people in this world that aren't sheep and are able to form their own opinion.

Radiohead: 'Kings Of Leon Are The Greatest Band In The World'
U2 said Radiohead was the greatest band in the world.....

and Powderfinger said U2 was the greatest band in the world....

besides..... Ed O'brien is just there to look pretty...... he's been pretty much been designated "random instrument" man after Thom boggarted his backup guitar role..... pretty sad really :/

Therefore

Kings Of Leon>Radiohead>U2>Powderfinger

La Di Da

All Australian
Feb 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Quoted for truth. Anybody that lays claim to such and such band (i.e beatles) being the greatest because it's their favourite genre of music is an A class pretentious *insert_appropriate_adjective* :thumbsdown:

Specially when it comes to the predictable beatles, led zeppelin, pink floyd etc...absolute overrated *%^* :D. Just my personal opinion, don't get mad because they're people in this world that aren't sheep and are able to form their own opinion.

Just because there are alot of people that like them bands doesnt mean that those people are sheep, its probably because they are great bands.

Sir Vlado

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
So because their not played on Australian radio, which is mostly very poor, they cant be placed alongside so called greats such as U2.

Thom has more songwriting ability in his little finger than Bono does in is whole body.

Seriously, U2 has made the same album everytime without evolving at all. They just about peaked with their first or second album.

Why aren't Radiohead played on Oz radio?

And which U2 albums have you heard anyway? and how can that Thom Yorke guy be a better songwriter than Bono? Can you show me Yorkes songwriting skills in a song please?

U2>>>Radiohead

Not trying to start an argument, we both have different views i guess.

Sir Vlado

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
You obviously dont know much about U2 if you beleive that... listen to Zooropa, Pop and then listen to Achtung baby and if you think that aint evolving, you should get your ears cleaned out.

Ive seen Everyone from the stones to acdc to MJ live and there is no greater frontman and live show than U2, ive seen them live 7 six times in 3 different countries and every show leaves you speechless.

did anyone see Popmart live in 97? unbeleivable live show, or go and buy Zootv live in sydney, will blow you away.

Spot on. :thumbsu:

I mean, look at all the songs U2 made during AB, Zooropa and Pop.
Take a look at songs like The Fly, Lemon, One, Discotheque, Gone, Stay, Mofo and so on...

They're not really all that similar.

And the concerts are just amazing, could U2 be the best live band?

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
And the concerts are just amazing, could U2 be the best live band?

Again this is subjective, but I've been to a fair few shows over the years and i'd say Iron Maiden are the best live band i've ever seen. Admittedly a lot would disagree with me but if you can tolerate metal at all I'm sure you'd be blown away by then, amazing shows in Melbourne this year (I went to both!)

But yeah, I have heard U2 are excellent live as well.:thumbsu:

Sir Vlado

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Again this is subjective, but I've been to a fair few shows over the years and i'd say Iron Maiden are the best live band i've ever seen. Admittedly a lot would disagree with me but if you can tolerate metal at all I'm sure you'd be blown away by then, amazing shows in Melbourne this year (I went to both!)

But yeah, I have heard U2 are excellent live as well.:thumbsu:

Its really just peoples opinion. :)

Though one of the things that makes U2 great live imo is that they've created onstage characters like The Fly, Mirrorball Man and Macphisto for the ZOO TV tour to give additional entertainment for the fans.

PopMart was great also.

Midnight Vultures

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2008
Blackburn
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Why aren't Radiohead played on Oz radio?

And which U2 albums have you heard anyway? and how can that Thom Yorke guy be a better songwriter than Bono? Can you show me Yorkes songwriting skills in a song please?

U2>>>Radiohead

Not trying to start an argument, we both have different views i guess.

There There.

In pitch dark I go walking in your landscape
Broken branches trip me as I speak
Just 'cause you feel it doesn't mean it's there
Just 'cause you feel it doesn't mean it's there

There's always a siren
Singing you to shipwreck
(Don't reach out, don't reach out
Don't reach out, don't reach out)

Steer away from these rocks
We'd be a walking disaster
(Don't reach out, don't reach out