Rail gauge - fascinating, who would have thought!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just lucky they invented trucks, hoists & compatible container locks hey!

The Indian Pacific, that runs from Sydney to Perth, runs on the Stephenson standard gauge of 1,435mm.....It'll be 50 years in 2020 since it first ran in 1970.

The first time I went to WA in the late 80s was on the train. The Overlander from Melbourne to Adelaide overnight then got onto the Indian Pacific the next afternoon in Adelaide. I was in sit up right down the back, I was 19 years old. I had zero sleep, drank heaps and had probably the best trip I've ever had. It was full of backpackers from all over the place, telling stories and having sing alongs and drinking.

I moved back to Vic from the northern Goldfields of WA a couple of years ago, I used to drive down to Kalgoorlie frequently. Between Menzies and Kalgoorlie there are piles of old sleepers that were changed out for concrete ones about 5 years ago. I can't believe no-one seems to have been taking them. A bloke I worked with grabbed a trailer load one weekend, he said they weighed a tonne.

Its a two man job alright.

The Ghan - that journeys from Adelaide to Darwin - Also runs on the Stephenson standard gauge of 1,435mm....Although it originally ran on 1, 067mm narrow gauge between Adelaide & Alice Springs, prior to it's extension & conversion in 1957.

The current route is not the original one. The whole track was ripped up and relaid, it used to run much further east. It was prone to occasional severe flooding and suffered extensive damage each time. Eventually they had to find a new route that did not cross a floodplain, and they went much farther west. Could be at this time they decided to change the gauge too.

The current route is not the original one. The whole track was ripped up and relaid, it used to run much further east. It was prone to occasional severe flooding and suffered extensive damage each time. Eventually they had to find a new route that did not cross a floodplain, and they went much farther west. Could be at this time they decided to change the gauge too.

Yeah….Something about running through Marree or some such place.....Here's a diagram of the old & new routes.
1570012078180.png

Yeah….Something about running through Marree or some such place.....Here's a diagram of the old & new routes.

They didn't even take the old trains with them, they are marooned still at Marree. And I think you are right, they look narrow gauge.

Diesel_loco_at_Marree.JPG

The MUA made sure when the takeover of Rottnest ferries in Freo from a family business by a bigger company that my daughter was not sacked last year.

The new company wanted to change pay rates (down of course) and lay people off- my daughter who was working there was somewhat unwillingly voted in be the liaison between the employees and employer, we actually advised her against this understanding how management works.

She was unfairly targeted, bullied, verballed and harassed by management because of her willingness to stand up for her co-workers rights and because she could express herself and her opinions well.

Luckily the MUA stepped in to help her and put a stop to it, she was 22 years old.

I have no doubt people can dig up stories exactly the opposite about the MUA, but this wasn't one of them.

They didn't even take the old trains with them, they are marooned still at Marree. And I think you are right, they look narrow gauge.

Diesel_loco_at_Marree.JPG

Little wonder it was so prone to flooding, passing just south of Lake Eyre, then onto William Creek...A known flood plain.

Situated right on the southern end of the old Birdsville track too, no less.....Loved watching the old tours on the telly up that way, with old Jack Absalom back in the 70's....Up through the Strzelecki & Innamincka.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back