FTA-TV Rake

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Obviously not many of you watch the ABC. If you did you would have commented on the brilliant comedy/drama/law series on the Aunty at the moment, called Rake. If some of you have seen it and are still watching it , it gets better every week, the acting is superb the characters are real, this is classy TV. Australians produce brilliant stuff most of the time , my point is that most Aussies miss the real goodies, I haven't seen any one post about this show, maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Have a look its worth it.

Obviously not many of you watch the ABC. If you did you would have commented on the brilliant comedy/drama/law series on the Aunty at the moment, called Rake. If some of you have seen it and are still watching it , it gets better every week, the acting is superb the characters are real, this is classy TV. Australians produce brilliant stuff most of the time , my point is that most Aussies miss the real goodies, I haven't seen any one post about this show, maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Have a look its worth it.

+1
We watched this for the first time this week and found it to be most entertaining, I was getting a bit distracted with the drugs bit but I'm sure that issue has, or will be addressed. Will be trying to make this a regular fixture.

On the topic of ABC, we watch plenty of ABC and also take in the evening SBS news bulletin. I'm actually finding myself being pushed away from the tabloid style TV on the commercial stations

+1
We watched this for the first time this week and found it to be most entertaining, I was getting a bit distracted with the drugs bit but I'm sure that issue has, or will be addressed. Will be trying to make this a regular fixture.

On the topic of ABC, we watch plenty of ABC and also take in the evening SBS news bulletin. I'm actually finding myself being pushed away from the tabloid style TV on the commercial stations
Yes its very clever, and, a bit in your face , but its meant to be I think.
I too am becoming very tired of the so called major television stations
which seem to have plenty of shows in number, but many of them much the same as each other.

Absolutely superb Australian drama, quality viewing. Richard Roxburgh makes the show, he is a superb actor. The story is also brilliant and takes you where most Australian TV dramas do not.

For those who haven't seen it, iView has all episodes up online unlike when they only keep them up for 14 days. Watch it.:thumbsu:

Yep love it :thumbsu:

Best Australian show currently on TV by a country mile (not hard), well written, great acting, good humour and just hits the right note by not taking itself too seriously while still tackling some heavy issues for the characters

Best Australian drama for a fair while:thumbsu:

Bit of mish mash between Rumpole and Boston Legal with a distinctly Australian flavour.

My favourite scene so far:

[YOUTUBE]0VH2VjNuPKI[/YOUTUBE]

Absolutely brilliant show, one of those shows you kinda go out of your way to make sure you can watch each week. It baffles me why commercial stations play shows like "the enforcers" and "behind the line" when top quality drama shows like this are being made and shown in this country.

I've noticed this has just come out on DVD, but for some reason they've split it into two separate DVD sets. Grr....

Fantastic show though, and when they either put them together or get the two sets down to a decent price, I'll grab it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We produce mediocre stuff most of the time, Rake is an exception.

We produce mediocre stuff most of the time, Rake is an exception.
There are lots of others that are quality . You have to search though. Unfortunately most of the commercial tv stuff is quick direction assembly line soapies. Some start well then get trashy, al la Rafters which has been killed off slowly , one season was enough, but you,d put quite a lot of aussie soaps in that grouping over the years. Neighbours, home and away these I,ve never seen butheavan help me years ago I watched sons and daughters, wow what garbage, A country practice was pretty lame , that ABC show GP was quality. Most soap is crap though. We make good stuff these days with good mini series, but they probably cost tons more to produce. So we don,t get many.

Caught a bit of this the other night. Have gone back a watched a good amount of the first season. Pretty slick effort for an aussie show. Some hilarious moments.

Best Australian drama or sit com this century and for a long time before that. The first episode of this series where he was screwing the NSW premier was *en brilliant. Up there with the episode when Sam Neil played Dr Chandler and was having sex with the family dog!

The writing is what is bloody brilliant. Its always about good writing. That's why Shakespeare has lasted 400 years. It's easier to find good actors than good writers. When you have both the results can be dynamite.

I heard Richard Roxburgh on ABC morning radio in Adelaide the morning of this seasons first eposide and he talked a lot about the writers and the scripts and how good they are as well as how much fun, plus about his fellow actors.

Lots of highlights in eposide 1 (inc the hydrogen peroxide and anal bleaching bit in court) but the best bit was the bit with the drunk clown at Scarlet and Barney's son's 7th birthday party. The clown recognises Clever from the papers as his affair with the premier was all over the news, calls him a Tory and then Clever gives a monologue why right wing chicks are better to screw than left wing chicks. Love how it ends with him saying;

And this Mr Clown is the real reason why the left has carked it,
Because the right are out there procreating whilst the left are grooming a dead dog.
Clown drunk says - my mother was a communist,
Clever says - oh so you were adopted.... Clown shoves Clever into birthday cake stand and destroys the day

If you want to watch the whole monologue then move the cursour to 34:00 minute mark.
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/rake/episodes/s02ep01.htm

I was really disappointed the way episode 4 finished. I was hoping the Julian Assange type character was going to be there for 2 or 3 episodes and Clever with his new found wealth would get up to some new shenanigans.

This is the best stuff Richard Roxburgh has done since he played Detective Roger Rogerson in Blue Murder. He has done plenty of good work in between in films and TV around the world including playing Bob Hawke in Hawke, but these two roles he has been truely brilliant.

I believe that a US version is to be made starring Greg Kinnear

Unless its on HBO it wont work. Need the bad language and sex and sexual inferences. Won't get that on network TV and not many of the big pay TV channels do it as well as HBO.

I believe that a US version is to be made starring Greg Kinnear
May be slightly more successful than US Kath & Kim.

That may not be fair, but whatever. I hate the fact that the Yanks need to have shows adapted for their audiences, rather than just sitting down, shutting up and watching shows from other countries. The Office and Wilfred are two good examples. The US Office became a very good show in its own right, but there was no need for it. The UK version was brilliant. Good on the creators of those shows for making massive bucks off the Americans willing to buy it, but it's so stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back