Rambo Last Blood

Remove this Banner Ad

Love Rambo movies so will definitely go see this!!!

Stallone >>> Schwarzenegger as an action star IMO.

Looks Loganesque.

Hopefully will be ultra violent as *, just like the last one.

PS - Loved the last ones Malick style existential musings from Rambo on the meaning of war/death/killing...good too see it looks like we will get more of that too!

Looks Loganesque.

Hopefully will be ultra violent as ****, just like the last one.
Stallone has stated himself that this is the most extremely violent Rambo movie of the series. :thumbsu:

Big call considering #III held the record of the highest body count of all time for a few decades.

Stallone has stated himself that this is the most extremely violent Rambo movie of the series. :thumbsu:

Considering the last one was the most insanely over the top 90 mins of flesh being torn apart, scorched, impaled, disembowelled, I can only look forward to what Sly has in store!

Rambo meets the Cartel. Yes!!

Looks Loganesque.

Hopefully will be ultra violent as ****, just like the last one.

PS - Loved the last ones Malick style existential musings from Rambo on the meaning of war/death/killing...good too see it looks like we will get more of that too!

What like Terrence Malick? You are giving sly wayyyyy too much credit. IMO, first blood is the only one that really wrestled with those issues in a meaningful way.

Also - what is up with these boomer actors and their faces puffing out in their later years? Stallone, Rourke even Sean Penn in that space show. They all look like they've had way too many cycles. It's a mess.

What like Terrence Malick? You are giving sly wayyyyy too much credit. IMO, first blood is the only one that really wrestled with those issues in a meaningful way.

Also - what is up with these boomer actors and their faces puffing out in their later years? Stallone, Rourke even Sean Penn in that space show. They all look like they've had way too many cycles. It's a mess.

Being sarcastic. I mean the voice over scenes like this. Malickian.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks Loganesque.

Hopefully will be ultra violent as fu**, just like the last one.

Yep agreed Good post.

When I saw this thread title I was torn between thinking this is for a new Rambo and this is the last one. The last one was exactly as you described.

******* brilliant. Will go watch it.

Happy Rambo Day everyone :D

rambo-1.jpg

Let’s put it this way - if the last movie had ended differently, this movie would have never been made...because it’s basically a movie about how the guy who is trained to kill, period, is coping without being able to do so. Is it a “Rambo” movie? As in, is it pretty much non stop violence from go to whoa? No, but it’s not supposed to be. So if you’re going to see it expecting what has gone before, you’ll be disappointed.

That’s what it isn’t. However, don’t think for one second it isn’t enjoyable or doesn’t make a lasting impression, because it does.

So what is it? No one can be told what Last Blood is. You have to see it for yourself. However, for those that have seen it (massive spoilers):

It’s a descent into the psychotic mind of John Rambo - a man who wanted to be a soldier since before he was 13. A man who takes pleasure in killing in the most brutal ways possible, which is what made him the best. There is one particular scene in the movie where after he kills someone in a typically gruesome fashion, he smiles sadistically. He doesn’t smile at any other point in the movie, so it’s definitely meant to show you how ****ed up he is.

In fact, after you watch it, you begin to wonder “Hang on, the first time he went to this house he got the s**t beaten out of him. Why is he able to just kill everyone the second time? If he’d done that in the first place he would have saved the poor girl.” And this is where the point that he’s not really Rambo in this becomes clear - it’s because he’s on some form of medication that is obviously dulling his rage and insanity. Rambo is a viper that is drugged up, and it makes him vulnerable - he’s basically Superman with kryptonite in the first two acts.

The main problem with this part of the movie isn’t Stallone. It’s the story surrounding the supporting cast. I don’t care how naive you are, no one is going to a place like Mexico - one of the most corrupt countries in the world - and accept drinks from a random stranger they have just met...especially when Rambo had just warned her about how dark the world can be. I don’t know, the young girl’s arc just fell flat...I didn’t really care about her enough. Rambo obviously didn’t either in spite of what he says...otherwise he would have made sure he purchased Evzio or Narcan to treat her for heroin overdose symptoms before he went on his rampage to rescue her. “Why not me?” he asks when she dies. Most would think he’s asking some higher power why she died.

But that s**t ain’t the truth. The truth is, it’s a rhetorical question. He’s asking why he wasn’t prepared to die to save her. It’s almost as if he was looking for an excuse to kill more people. To go back to what he does best.

And in the third act, this is exactly what happens. If Stallone could have pulled off grey long hair, you can almost imagine him tying the red bandana to his head. This is Samson gaining back his strength to bring down the roof on the Philistines. It’s almost comical how brutal it is, and you’re definitely cheering every death. But this is a guy who is just a psychopath now...all the anger and rage that once fought armies is focused on a few dozen militia.

And then at the end, when everyone is dead...Rambo sits in his rocking chair and you think “Maybe he’s just going to bleed out and die.” But nope, he gets on his horse and rides off somewhere.

Stallone just can’t let his characters die.

Could it have been better? Absolutely. Was it as bad as it might have been? Nope.

2/5 for the first two acts, 5/5 for the last act.

First blood is an exceptional movie. The rest are mostly action without story. I do like part II though.
Yeah, First Blood I remember, genuine great move for it's time. The other Rambo ones I probably seen but just average to good action movies but nothing special.I got no idea what Last Blood is and only just heard it is a thing. Be interested to see what the story line is. Impressed with what Stallone did with the Rocky Balboa movie so many years after the Rocky series. If Last Blood can be as good as that I will be impressed.

This is getting slammed by critics but it’s getting fantastic reviews by fans and that makes sense to me. Technically it’s not a very well rounded or good movie but it’s Rambo and it stays true to the character.

For me Rambo couldn’t end with the last one where he walks onto the ranch, seemingly the good guy who has found his home and moved on from his issues. Part of what made First Blood such an amazing movie was the character of Rambo and how damaged he was. It unpacked the psyche of a veteran struggling with PTSD and looked at how they never really come home.

This movie showed Rambo finally accepting that and he said as much in the final monologue. I liked how they ended it because it gives them freedom to make more (Sly said that if this makes money he will play Rambo again) but it also works as a conclusion to the character.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back