Autopsy Ran outta soldiers v Crows

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That stretch of centre clearances in the 2nd was genuinely unbelievable.

LDU… staggering stuff. Remember everyone in here losing their s**t on draft night 2017 when he fell in our lap and this is why. What a player.

Jy, fantastic today and have loved seeing him close out the season on fire.

So great to watch Cunners again. He’s just so skilled, you miss half the things he does cos it happens so quickly in the contest.

Anyway, back to the Clarko thread.

Another tall forward like Comben would’ve been real handy in that 2nd qtr.

Really liked the irrepressible way Simpkin moved around stoppages today and how the synergy between him and LDU is building every week.

Jy has been a different player with the shackles released.

LDU playing the role he is more suited to more often and Jy not needing to be all things to all people.

The synergy you speak of is what I am
Looking forward to the most in 23. Especially if Thomas can ad another dimension to it and build into it also.

The thread title is wrong.

We weren't good enough for long enough.

It's a constant theme with this group injuries or not, always excuses made.

Hopefully Clarko signs and doesn't accept poor losses like today as being fine as "we tried".
As is your name Mr. Grinch.

I thought we played pretty well today, there were moments in the first and third where Adelaide were on top but we showed fight and kept the game close.

McKay's intercept marking was a highlight early in the game, I think he took about 3 or 4 contested marks that repelled a number of Adelaide forays.

LDU and Simpkin's total domination at the centre bounces in the second was amazing, I think they won around 9 or 10 centre clearances in row. LDU in particular was brilliant breaking tackles at will and bounding away with ease, it was quite a sight to see and exciting for future.

The third quarter was fairly even and tough where neither team gave an inch and even though it wasn't high scoring it was a tense and exciting quarter. LDU and Simpkin weren't as dominant as they were in the previous quarter but they were still keeping us in the game, and even though we got those three injuries late we didn't let Adelaide take control and still looked a chance going into the fourth.

By the start of the fourth, we had lost Ziebell, Stephenson and Anderson for the game and within the first 5-10 minutes Goldstein and Zurhaar were limping with foot injuries and then Curtis did his shoulder, and it was only then the Adelaide really took control and kicked away for a five goal win. We continued to fight, but were out on our feet and couldn't pressure the Crows the way we had for the previous 100 minutes.

Overall it's hard to be happy as we lost a game we could have won, but it is hard to disappointed as well because we showed fight, showed to our future coach that have some real talent on the list.

It was great to have Cunnington back, I thought he was pretty good for a first game in 13 months, and the midfield looked more dominant with him in the middle during the centre bounces. Happy to hear he wants to play on next season.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's made significant improvements from last year to this year and it's enough to keep me intrigued. The next step and focus for him should be putting some muscle on his frame.

Do I think he'll make it? Not sure - he's probably more unlikely to make it then likely, but I feel like he's probably done enough to earn a 1 year contract.
I'm not a knock on the bloke for the sake of it, and he has some attributes - a nice left foot, reads it well and can mark. The problem is the one you refer to - he's been in the system for 3 years and is pretty much the body shape he was at the start. Unfortunately, for some, that's just how it is - Jarrad Grant comes to mind, and a fair way back, David Bourke. I think I'm right in saying even as a Cat B, after 3 years he has to go on the main list? Kallan Dawson has gone past him in a month, so not sure where that main list spot is going to come from

Mr Lloyd Christmas

Premiership Player
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why is CCJ so slow?

I get he is tall but he moves in slow motion, I rate above Xerri (not saying much, he is terrible) but gee whiz i'd like that trade back.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, there it is.

We played pretty well sure (compared to our worst) and yet still lost to a rubbish team.

Call me whatever, abuse me like most do, I want to win not make excuses for losses.

To me that is not what we should stand for as a footy club.

Losing but trying is not acceptable regardless how you and others spin it.
Dont underestimate crows, their forward line jas seroius potential already stacked with 6 quality players and with rachelle to come back and potentially rankine if they can top up their midfield they will be pushing up the ladder sooner than later.

Mr Lloyd Christmas

Premiership Player
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dont underestimate crows, their forward line jas seroius potential already stacked with 6 quality players and with rachelle to come back and potentially rankine if they can top up their midfield they will be pushing up the ladder sooner than later.

Maybe so but we were all told we were heading up not backwards - I legit believed it until watching this year and we are all effort, no system.

That doesn't win games.

Ps: I don't blame Patch, the clown beforehand I do.

I was actually surprised that they have only kicked 100 points in a match 7 or so times in the last few seasons. That forward line has some serious weapons now.

Mar 19, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
S.A Spurs, Liverpool
A functioning forward line vs a non-functioning forward line. That's the game as neither team was really defending in transition.
I might disagree with you there. But this is great news.

This is from today. We scored 10 points from chains beginning in the back half. Adelaide scored 52.
0D785879-0539-445B-814F-BCC223F4D927.jpeg

And this is from the Bombers match.

5795C939-595D-49A9-ABA7-3504E5F7B647.jpeg

This tells me that if we can manage to break even on defending transition, we are immediately a 30 point better team.

Which tells me we’re only a good coach away from being a much much better team.

It’s been easy this year to watch us and think that we’re a rabble with everything wrong. But only six months ago, we were all bullish coming into this season.

So what’s more likely? That all of us were idiots then and we’re right now? Or that we were right then and have had our confidence shot by a year where a lot of things went wrong in a black box that we can’t access?

We have a good list. If Clarko is coming it’s definitely because he sees the bones of a contender in what we already have.

52 points to 10 on transition. That is great news, because it means that our problems are concentrated and not myriad. We’re small fixes away from large gains.

Mr Lloyd Christmas

Premiership Player
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah. However, that is par for the course for all teams, isn’t it. Once you become a perennial winner, your confidence climbs and you never feel out of a game. The reverse just results in a downward spiral. The ball always seems to bounce against you and you miss crucial opportunities. I wanted to throttle Fogarty today, such was my frustration with his accuracy. The change you seek is, hopefully, just around the corner…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes that is a very good post. I just get so frustrated with the same footballers doing the same * ups and doing nothing (we all know who they are) i just find it hard to watch.

Everyone is saying "trust the future", but we will lose Cunners, Goldstein, Hall and please god JZ and yet do we have the talent to cover that?

I just am frustrated as many saw this coming with our idiotic list management yet Scott and Joyce sail off to other roles and we are stuck with their s**t and incompetent decisions to fix now.

It simply isn't right.

I'm going to grab a nice teddy bear a 5yo would enjoy cuddling, and i'll do the same ; )

I've been working on a bit of a player/game rating project. Took me a while to figure out how to get the data. I'll look towards posting some kind of "B&F" for the whole season after the last round, but here's a snippet from the Adelaide game just gone.

The main callout is that Hall's net contribution was -19 points.

R22 ADE v NM.png

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
I'll bring kimchi.
I've been to Korea and didn't like the food at all. I reckon the reason they all so skinny as who would want to eat a cuisine where pickled cabbage is the pinnacle of their food. I constantly rag the Koreans I work with about this but I play Starcraft so they forgive me.

Watched the first half but it's on early morning over here so fell asleep.

Don't want to watch the rest as I know what I will see.

One thing though that no one has mentioned. Gee Goldy can play this game and has a feel for it.

I've been to Korea and didn't like the food at all. I reckon the reason they all so skinny as who would want to eat a cuisine where pickled cabbage is the pinnacle of their food. I constantly rag the Koreans I work with about this but I play Starcraft so they forgive me.

One thing though that no one has mentioned. Gee Goldy can play this game and has a feel for it.
You've managed to offend Koreans, Germans, and the Pols in one post.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

some incredible sociopolitical analysis here

You mustn’t have seen Mark Porter.

CCJ might be the slowest of mind though…
Tbf Porter did run down Crawf at the Dome iirc, got us the win too, again, iirc.

Ben Cunnington is back, that means more then 4 pts for me.

Given the context of the game, that was really what today was about for me. And to be honest, that was enough. Absolute legend. So rapt for him.

Outside of the above, I thought the effort was there from the boys today. Sadly, once again decision-making and execution weren't always along for the ride.

LDU....holy s**t!

No seriously, holy s**t.

Other stuff - Original Recipe Jy is back, Dawson seems to be coming along nicely, Curtis and his hair continue to impress.

Most of the other other stuff has been covered already but as a card-carrying member of the Slim Gents Club, I just want to give a quick shout out to the skinny guys in the side. Scott, Powell, and Curtis Taylor repeatedly put their underdeveloped bodies on the line today. The latter in particular continues to have zero regard for his own safety. It's a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
Back