Autopsy Ran outta soldiers v Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Well you and I are different.

I don't accept those reasons - as a one off of yes for sure, you'd be totally correct and i'd be wrong.

This is a pattern of results though not just this year, many and frankly we were extremely lucky to win either game this year.

I'm not sure what you mean by not accepting those reasons? They're objective truths. We had 3 blokes leave the game and not come back due to injury. Powell has had pubis issues and has struggled to get over 70% TOG this season. Cunnington was playing his first game in over a year and a half. None of this is subjective opinion.

I totally understand your frustration with second half fadeouts, but from all reports, our strength and conditioning team was overhauled and we should hopefully reap the rewards of that soon - it won't happen in a season. Additionally, we're consistently fielding one of the youngest and least experienced sides weekly - these guys just aren't battle-hardened, experienced or fit enough.

The delivery is symptomatic of a set up issue with the forward line.

No one leads. No one creates space.
Agreed. Adelaides forwards were able to get separation and the mids could then simply kick to the lead space. Much higher percentage play, hence why successful teams always have forwards that can regularly do this. Our forwards were not able to do this regularly enough today.

Patch was grateful, plain spoken, at ease and constructive in his presser.

Maybe I’m projecting what I’d like to happen onto the reality of what’s going on, but he didn’t seem to have the demeanour of a guy who thinks he’s going to have to find a new job soon.
I really hope he stays. Loves the club and I think the players have responded to him well.

At this point of the season and with the coaching announcement imminent all I want to see is something promising towards next season. Winning, as much as we want to win obviously, isn’t hugely important. I’d love to avoid the spoon next week - second live pick would just as good as the first. But if it doesn’t happen, it’s no big deal.

We saw plenty for the new coach to work with today. We just need the system and culture in a newly rebuilt footy department. That should hopefully be in place in the next 4-6 weeks.

Talent wise we are in good place.

Zurhaar will be making a huge mistake if he asks for a trade. Not being a FA and hoping we will be able to cut a deal with Essendon of all clubs is just not very smart and may end in tears for him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It sucks to lose again, and personally for those in SA it would be nice to see us get up over the Crows here. But it feels like the break of dawn after a long period of dark, better North times are coming.

We all support the side. That is why we are here.

That same poster backed in Scott and Joyce and ran the same bullsh*t if anyone ever questioned it - Me, Mav, TAO all did but no he/she was right.

Proven completely wrong, the people he/she supported actively has burnt us massively as run us into the ground and fired due to incompetence.

Now anyone (like me) who questions us and is disappointed still criticise as "not supporting".

Utter nonsense.
You are pointlessly antagonistic against other posters who don't agree with your language or sentiments.

Patch was grateful, plain spoken, at ease and constructive in his presser.

Maybe I’m projecting what I’d like to happen onto the reality of what’s going on, but he didn’t seem to have the demeanour of a guy who thinks he’s going to have to find a new job soon.
I hope he stay. He is a decent bloke.

You are pointlessly antagonistic against other posters who don't agree with your language or sentiments.

No, that is actually you.

I post very positively on various topics like LDU, Cunners, Curtis etc, you only post to snipe others (pathetic) and offer nothing else.

You have no value to this board.

I post very positively on various topics like LDU, Cunners, Curtis etc, you only post to snipe others (pathetic) and offer nothing else.

Seriously, its ok to express and back up your opinions on your football team, but keep this petty personal bullshit to your self.

Um you accused me 3 pages back of quote

“You're the type who'd still want Noble as coach as "trying hard" is good enough - it isn't and luckily we have smarter people in charge who aren't making excuses and like me want the team to get better.”

No not personal at all 😂

Um you accused me 3 pages back of quote

“You're the type who'd still want Noble as coach as "trying hard" is good enough - it isn't and luckily we have smarter people in charge who aren't making excuses and like me want the team to get better.”

No not personal at all 😂

You have your opinion I have mine.

It wasn't meant to be personal and if you took it that way I apologise.

I'm just sick and *en tired of North losing so I yes, I apologise again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lazarro, Hall, Greenwood, Archer and Young are 5 players that wouldn’t get a look in at another club.

Then you those on the borderline that most likely wouldn’t get a game in CCJ, Dawson and Ziebell.

That’s 8 out of 22.

Games over before it starts.
Ridiculous assertion. You could do the same with crows and eliminate about 6 of theirs. They are no world beaters. We ran out of legs and they closed down LDU and Jy. Plus no leading forwards as previously mentioned.

Looked great before we ran out of petrol, and we didn't have the following guys who will be massive contributors to this clubs success moving forward:

JHF, TT, Comben, Phillips

I love what both Goater and Perez will bring in due time too, and McGuinness has shown plenty this year too.

Chuck in another high-end 1st round pick at this year's draft and the future is extremely bright with Clarko at the helm.
McGuiness has been around for quite a while and does it seem to be able to take the next step. You really think he is going to make it ??

I think we went in thinking Cunners wouldn't last the entire game so picked Greenwood as the medi-sub, it backfired when Stevo went off. I think it really messed up our structure. Stevo was looking dangerous up forward. He is a bit soft though, was pretty much done after a heavy collision and realistically he is probably going to play next week so he pulls up stumps far too easily imo. Bonar is a bit similar in that he can't take the hits and it is bad sign going forward because we can't afford to lose players easily half way through games.

I still think for Stevo it is going to be as a forward going forward or the scrapheap. He needs a really big pre-season and he needs to bulk up so a physical contest doesn't rattle his bones bad enough he can't keep playing. Crows really applied the heat in the second half and bullied us physically like we used to do underdeveloped teams under Laidley.

Dawson copped some sprays in the game day thread, i thought he was pretty good and statistically he was our best defender by a mile. He has 6 spoils, 5 contested defensive 1v1s with no losses and 10 defensive half pressure acts and 2 intercept marks.

Adams I think was exposed for his inexperience, whomever McKay played on seem to have had the plan to lead well out of the forward 50 and drag him out of the danger zone, it ended up with Dawson and Corr having to defend against the vast majority of inside 50s. Dawson held up okay, Corr really struggled to even make it a contest, a bit disappointing given he is an experienced defender. McKay in the middle of no-mans land didn't even get to a single contested 1v1 in the defensive 50, managed just 2 spoils and 5 intercepts which was a mediocre outcome given how good a defender he is. We need to ensure McKay stays close to goal and if his man peels off and goes wherever he isn't dangerous then the third key defender should just go and put pressure on him.

Once we lost the dominance in the middle in the second half, they were able to expose us being happy to allow McKay to be dragged out of the full back position.

Archer did some really good things down back and put his body on the line time and again, I think he worked better there with McDonald, Young and Hall. I think McDonald and Young need to do more in terms of defensive rebound because too much is left to Hall. Hall had 850m gained, McDonald 302 and Young 372. I think Hall quite often made poor decisions/executed poorly but there seemed to be a lack of movement and a lack of options for Hall to go to, particularly in the second half.

Scott and Taylor looked okay on the wings, did some good things but they kind of drift out of games a fair bit. A problem with our lack of system is our mids don't look for either of these two players and will more often than not go for a low probability long kick forward. Most of our best passages of play came from defensive rebounds rather than centre clearances, we aren't well drilled in terms of how to generate high probability chains of possessions. Most of our centre clearances resulted in long kicks forward that didn't go to the advantage of a forward. Clarkson isn't going to want to see chaos balls out of centre clearance domination.

There were a lot of little things that bothered me, like the short handball gives when they see a player coming at them but they wont put a block or a shepherd on and the player that was chasing them down just waltzes past them and nails the guy they gave a loopy handpass too. We are a team of individuals that aren't playing team football, it is why a side that more or less has B grade midfielders were able to beat us, they played better team football over four quarters.

Curtis was electric up forward, he needs to have a kicking routine next year where unless he is 50m out or deep in a pocket then he walks straight towards goals and has a straight leg kicking action, if there is even a slight cross breeze a hooking kicking action will be horrible to execute consistently.

It was great to see Cunners back, he battled it out as best he could but he was out of gas, he will need a full pre-season to get back to his best.

Lazzaro did some nice things, both he and Powell a few times didn't go as hard at contests as they should have. I think Lazzaro cops a bit too many negative comments here. Realistically he probably wouldn't be playing if Thomas, JHF and Phillips weren't injured or in the dog house, I think he is struggling a bit with the pace at AFL level. Given our lack of looking for outside mids, it hasn't helped his game much either. I am curious how someone like Clarkson would handle players like him.

Our forward line was dysfunctional as a unit. Hard to see on the box but there didn't seem to be a whole lot of leading. I think at times our forwards are too lazy and don't want to work hard to lead and want to just go for mark of the year. I am not sure our mids would look for them even if they lead, but at times we did hit up someone in space, we just didn't seem to have much movement up forward. For a forward 50 that is quite often congested we seem to be very poor at slowing the ball down rebounding. to me, it is still the most troublesome line. Larkey and Zurhaar have talent but our forward 6 don't seem to work together or compliment eachother. We need to accelerate the development of players like Comben and Edwards and figure out if they have the goods, otherwise we need to find some more/better options. We had 59 inside 50s vs 52 and we managed just 10 goals vs 15 despite dominating centre clearances 19 vs 7. We only managed 9 marks inside 50 vs 19. That is a lack of system and lack of players working for eachother.

Last edited:
McGuiness has been around for quite a while and does it seem to be able to take the next step. You really think he is going to make it ??

He's made significant improvements from last year to this year and it's enough to keep me intrigued. The next step and focus for him should be putting some muscle on his frame.

Do I think he'll make it? Not sure - he's probably more unlikely to make it then likely, but I feel like he's probably done enough to earn a 1 year contract.

That stretch of centre clearances in the 2nd was genuinely unbelievable.

LDU… staggering stuff. Remember everyone in here losing their s**t on draft night 2017 when he fell in our lap and this is why. What a player.

Jy, fantastic today and have loved seeing him close out the season on fire.

So great to watch Cunners again. He’s just so skilled, you miss half the things he does cos it happens so quickly in the contest.

Anyway, back to the Clarko thread.

The thread title is wrong.

We weren't good enough for long enough.

It's a constant theme with this group injuries or not, always excuses made.

Hopefully Clarko signs and doesn't accept poor losses like today as being fine as "we tried".

This team is the exact opposite of the 90s.

We regularly won games we shouldn't back then if an off day but had the confidence to switch into another gear, this team loses games we should win as no anchor of confidence or winning mentality whatsoever.

They just fall apart when pressure is applied, and it's extremely frustrating to watch.

Change is required to rectify this, and we need it right now.

Yeah. However, that is par for the course for all teams, isn’t it. Once you become a perennial winner, your confidence climbs and you never feel out of a game. The reverse just results in a downward spiral. The ball always seems to bounce against you and you miss crucial opportunities. I wanted to throttle Fogarty today, such was my frustration with his accuracy. The change you seek is, hopefully, just around the corner…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That stretch of centre clearances in the 2nd was genuinely unbelievable.

LDU… staggering stuff. Remember everyone in here losing their s**t on draft night 2017 when he fell in our lap and this is why. What a player.

Jy, fantastic today and have loved seeing him close out the season on fire.

So great to watch Cunners again. He’s just so skilled, you miss half the things he does cos it happens so quickly in the contest.

Anyway, back to the Clarko thread.

They got dimmies over there ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back