Rance to Cats in 2021 mid-season draft ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
*if* Rance finds his way to Geelong mid-season, the rumour-mill regarding his initial departure will go bezerk

Certainly I would start questioning the official narrative of happy-families & start to think something went seriously south

But its all conjecture at this stage ...
If he was motivated to play again why would he choose to miss a pre season and join midstream, yea seems perfect ingredients for a successful comeback

Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he technically see out his contract? He would have been able to go where ever he wanted as a Free Agent.

If he is capable of it and wants to play for any club still then all power to him. He served us plenty and brought us our first Premiership in a long time. Assuming he was match fit he'd definitely still get a game for us and would be welcome with open arms you'd assume. That said, we've won two Premierships without him, we certainly don't need him.

Still a very valid thing to be annoyed/frustrated at, but I would never direct that at Rance.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he technically see out his contract? He would have been able to go where ever he wanted as a Free Agent.

If he is capable of it and wants to play for any club still then all power to him. He served us plenty and brought us our first Premiership in a long time. Assuming he was match fit he'd definitely still get a game for us and would be welcome with open arms you'd assume. That said, we've won two Premierships without him, we certainly don't need him.

Still a very valid thing to be annoyed/frustrated at, but I would never direct that at Rance.
Think he was contracted 2020.

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
Listening to Yes/No Richo on 3AW's 'Sports Today' podcast just now and it was put to Richo.

Not actual quotes, but close enough...

• Gerald: "Rance playing in junior levels annoys you?"
  • Richo: "Yes."
  • Gerald: "Rance being picked up by Geelong at the mid-season draft would annoy you?"
  • Richo: "Yes! I've heard that too."

Further discussion followed
  • it is likely possible in terms of AFL rules, but we can't say for sure without more calls.
  • Gerard Healy received an SMS saying it is likely, filling a slot made available by Harry Taylor, in June.
  • Scoop says Rance might not be permitted to join the cats as he only dropped off the RFC last year, there is some rule about time between being on a list to be eligible for mid-season.

TL/DR - unsubstantiated rumour that Rance is joining cats in 2021 mid season draft.
See my 'mankini' post regarding No 42 for Richmond kicking a goal in the seniors this year. Same applies. If Rance plays a senior game for Geelong this year I will make Punt Road look like a mankini paradise. I have four other brothers, I'm dobbing them in for this too (may need some sisterly assistance sewing the faux tiger fur onto said mankinis). We will take turns piggybacking Balmy relay style.

Trash this rumour where it belongs. In the trash.

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Good luck/good riddance if it happens.

We don't want or need him at this stage.
Be nice Walt. It's a total bs rumour and you're talking about a highly decorated legend of the club. He has nothing but my gratitude. The bloke is a bloody champion who gave up the game he loves for other more important things in his life. Owes us nothing and has plenty of credits in the book. In 2099 will be named Richmond fullback of the century.

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Be nice Walt. It's a total bs rumour and you're talking about a highly decorated legend of the club. He has nothing but my gratitude. The bloke is a bloody champion who gave up the game he loves for other more important things in his life. Owes us nothing and has plenty of credits in the book. In 2099 will be named Richmond fullback of the century.
I'm not being un-nice. It's just how it is. I'm not privy to the reasons he left Punt Rd, but it seemed like something was a bit off. Can't see how you do all the rehab to be ready, then pull the pin completely randomly in the middle of a dynasty. Rance is a strange dude. The religion stuff, the rumours, the wife split. I know people like him but I always found him strangely cringey. Watch him with the players after the 2019 VFL GF. It's all about him and his brand.

I hold nothing against him, it takes all types. But in all honesty, I just wouldn't want him back. It'd be a big media distraction, and I'd prefer to pin my hopes on Grimes, Broad, Astbury and Balta getting the key back jobs done, as they have for 2 premierships.

Not arguing the fact he was a great footballer, and he may well be a great bloke, but I've just never taken to him. I do have significant issues with organised religions, so that probably taints my opinion a lot.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,

Welcome back

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
I'm not being un-nice. It's just how it is. I'm not privy to the reasons he left Punt Rd, but it seemed like something was a bit off. Can't see how you do all the rehab to be ready, then pull the pin completely randomly in the middle of a dynasty. Rance is a strange dude. The religion stuff, the rumours, the wife split. I know people like him but I always found him strangely cringey. Watch him with the players after the 2019 VFL GF. It's all about him and his brand.

I hold nothing against him, it takes all types. But in all honesty, I just wouldn't want him back. It'd be a big media distraction, and I'd prefer to pin my hopes on Grimes, Broad, Astbury and Balta getting the key back jobs done, as they have for 2 premierships.

Not arguing the fact he was a great footballer, and he may well be a great bloke, but I've just never taken to him. I do have significant issues with organised religions, so that probably taints my opinion a lot.

me too

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams

Fair enough. I'm just looking at what I am sure of and that is that he was a great footballer and servant of the club. His private life, his religious beliefs, his brand, none of that is any of my business as I see it. None of it keeps me up at night.

One thing you don't have to worry about is him coming back. He's gonna play a handful of local games in the Swan Valley with a mate for a laugh and to keep fit. His days at the highest level are over.

Rumours follow him around like bees to a honeypot, but they're still just rumours. Fake until proven otherwise.

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Fair enough. I'm just looking at what I am sure of and that is that he was a great footballer and servant of the club. His private life, his religious beliefs, his brand, none of that is any of my business as I see it. None of it keeps me up at night.

One thing you don't have to worry about is him coming back. He's gonna play a handful of local games in the Swan Valley with a mate for a laugh and to keep fit. His days at the highest level are over.

Rumours follow him around like bees to a honeypot, but they're still just rumours. Fake until proven otherwise.
You told me to "be nice". I was just explaining my thoughts.

None of it "keeps me up at night" either. By any stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back