Random Australian Test Cricketers

Remove this Banner Ad

Divva was class. Had some real aggression about him and from memory was a slightly inferior version of Ponting in that he was very strong off the back foot
His strength was his limitation in a lot of ways. Feed him wide short stuff and he would probably score a quick 20-30. He hit the cut well and hard, but he always hit it at catchcable height so gave chances.

Mike Haysman. What did he do after going to South Africa?
Wonder if he would have played Test cricket here in an era we had a s**t team in mid 80's if he had of not gone there.

Wonder if he would have played Test cricket here in an era we had a sh*t team in mid 80's if he had of not gone there.
I think once eligible he came back and played a couple of Shield seasons, then went back to South Africa and played a FC season or so there. May have coached for a while too, not sure on that.

edit: one season back here, then a few in south africa and went into media over there

I have no doubt he was a wonderful cricketer for Tassie. Sorry if you thought I was dissing his cricket at first class level.
You only responded to the first line of my post and completely disregarded the rest of it - which supported what I said.

Then you said that your vague memory of him determines his (lack of) worthiness and, further, that he would agree with you.

It's a strange way to discuss things.

Anyway, we'll move on. :)

I think once eligible he came back and played a couple of Shield seasons, then went back to South Africa and played a FC season or so there. May have coached for a while too, not sure on that.

edit: one season back here, then a few in south africa and went into media over there
Wow, so he went into media when he was still young. Surprised. Just assumed he must have married a lady there, played cricket there and then went into media after he retired but sounds like that not the case. I think he was on the radar of Test options here before he went on Rebel tour.

Wonder if he would have played Test cricket here in an era we had a sh*t team in mid 80's if he had of not gone there.
He was a commentator for many years. I'm not sure if he still is though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a commentator for many years. I'm not sure if he still is though.
He still is because I remember sometime in last two decades when first heard him on tv, at first I thought he was South African, then heard the name Haysman and then remembered he used to play for South Australia. He pretty much is the head host of their coverages from what I can tell.

He got a brief run as opener when Gilchrist I think was missing, a bit of a like for like, but that was it. I think he went to South Africa?
He has the most f-c runs by a Tasmanian and is in the top 10 all-time of Australian first-class run scorers.

I had to extract this list manually from a list of all-time f-c run scorers, I think I got all the Australians (unless I missed another Aussie born player who played most of his cricket in England, like Ken Grieves).

AUSTRALIANS WITH 20,000+ F-C RUNS
Langer - 28282
Bradman - 28067
Border - 27131
Law - 27080
M Waugh - 26855
Lehmann - 25795
Rogers - 25470
Di Venuto - 25200
Hayden - 24603
G Chappell - 24535
Ponting - 24150
S Waugh - 24052
Boon - 23413
Hussey - 22783
Grieves - 22454
Harvey - 21699
Simpson - 21029
Moody - 21001
Katich - 20926

Ken Grieves is interesting, I didn't know much about him.

He was born in Sydney, played for NSW a couple of seasons post-WW2 and then moved to the UK to play cricket in the leagues.

He was signed by Lancashire and played for them for 16 seasons. He also played 147 games of top level UK soccer for three clubs as a goalkeeper.

Ian Chappell mentioned it the other day on the radio, he holds the record for an Australian for the most catches in f-c cricket as a fieldsman (by a long way too it would seem) - 597. (He took another 10 catches and made 4 stumpings as a keeper).

He also shared a birthday with another well known cricketer - The Don (and with me, lol).

I'm glad we're starting to get onto random white ball players as some of the blokes who can call themselves Australian cricketers in the last 10 or so years is something:

Brett Geeves (2 ODIs, 1 T20I)
Travis Birt (4 T20s)
Ben Cutting (4 ODIs, 7 T20Is) - Was also 12th man for a test when it got down to whether he or Mitch Starc would make their test debut v NZ at the GABBA.
Ben Rohrer (1 T20I)
James Muirhead (5 T20Is including a T20 world cup)
Cameron Boyce (7 T20Is)
Ben Dunk (5 T20Is)
Nathan Reardon (2 T20Is) - as mentioned before
Michael Klinger (3 T20Is) - probably gladly got to play for Australia
Jack Wildermuth (2 T20Is)
Daniel Sams (2 T20Is)
Sam Heazlett (1 ODI)
Chris Tremain (4 ODIs)
Daniel Worrall (3 ODIs)
Joel Paris (2 ODIs)
Gurinder Sandhu (2 ODIs)

and the unmentionable mick lewis.

if i remember ben cutting missed out on a few more odi's through injury before he got selected. his short form bowling has gone to poo a bit the last few years, very expensive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back