Random Carlton Trivia...

Remove this Banner Ad

Max loves them. Goes crazy for them.
That's gone quick, didn't know your kid was old enough to be on solids yet.

At least you know who he is. I've never heard of him.
I remember seeing a lot of his football at reserves level. He was one of those players who consistently played well at reserves level but didn't necessarily carry this through to senior level. He was trying to break into a very good side.

I remember seeing a lot of his football at reserves level. He was one of those players who consistently played well at reserves level but didn't necessarily carry this through to senior level. He was trying to break into a very good side.

Think it was just a case of our midfield and flankers were too strong for him to break into. If he played at Dogs , Dees or Saints in same period, would have played over 100 games but we had Barry Armstrong and Trevor Keough nearing end when he came to club and then we had Rod Ashman, Jimmy Buckley, Kenny Sheldon, Greg Wells, Phil Maylin, David Glascott, Alex Marcou, Frank Marchensani, Robert Klomp, Wayne Harmes, Wayne Johnston, Wayne Blackwell. Paul Meldrum, Fraser Murphy and Shane Robertson ahead of him for roles or spots in the 20. Unlike Mario Bortolotto or Scott Howell he did not get a lucky break at right time as a fringe player.

Think it was just a case of our midfield and flankers were too strong for him to break into. If he played at Dogs , Dees or Saints in same period, would have played over 100 games but we had Barry Armstrong and Trevor Keough nearing end when he came to club and then we had Rod Ashman, Jimmy Buckley, Kenny Sheldon, Greg Wells, Phil Maylin, David Glascott, Alex Marcou, Frank Marchensani, Robert Klomp, Wayne Harmes, Wayne Johnston, Wayne Blackwell. Paul Meldrum, Fraser Murphy and Shane Robertson ahead of him for roles or spots in the 20. Unlike Mario Bortolotto or Scott Howell he did not get a lucky break at right time as a fringe player.
Some quality names there. I would rate Burke as having a better all round game than Robertson, but Robertson had him on pace.

Howell very lucky to play in a premiership side, but to his credit he did exactly what was required playing on a lame Peter Moore, constantly running off him & running him around.

Some quality names there. I would rate Burke as having a better all round game than Robertson, but Robertson had him on pace.

Howell very lucky to play in a premiership side, but to his credit he did exactly what was required playing on a lame Peter Moore, constantly running off him & running him around.

Yeah, Robeetson was more a runner than Burke. Interestingly, Greg Williams would have been told he was too slow around the years Burke was starting out and Williams was eventually cleared to Geelong.

Burke was more your neat, inside mid type or make it on back flank type but given we had Hunter, Doull, McConville and Klomp types for those roles, no chance there.
Blueseum suggest he probably had injuries after 1981 too.

"Wearing number 19, the 183cm defender played 18 games and kicked 9 goals for the Blues after debuting in 1981.

He was just looking to cement a spot as a tough in an under player in the mid-field when struck down by a knee injury he struggled for regular games "

Q. The Blueseum only has one instance recorded of having Co-Captains ever on the field for us. WHen and who?

From the Blueseum
Murphy was Captain and Simmo did the toss and addressed the troops?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay so here is my Chooka Merrington story. I was a huge fan of both Chooka and Beasy, from memory they went in the same draft?

Anyway, Chooka always punched above his weight. He was not a tall footballer by modern standards but would always pinch hit in the ruck normally against much bigger units.

I was at Princes Park one day sitting on the fence at the front of the John Elliot Stand. Chooka had been toiling in the ruck the same way Carl Rackemann used to toil uphill into the breeze for 50 overs straight. He came to the bench for a breather and was walking past, I stood up and yelled out well done Chooka you have a heart the size of Phar Lap. The entire crowd around me started applauding him. Right in front of me he grew about 3 feet taller. He gave me a knowing wink and kept walking.

Okay so here is my Chooka Merrington story. I was a huge fan of both Chooka and Beasy, from memory they went in the same draft?

Anyway, Chooka always punched above his weight. He was not a tall footballer by modern standards but would always pinch hit in the ruck normally against much bigger units.

I was at Princes Park one day sitting on the fence at the front of the John Elliot Stand. Chooka had been toiling in the ruck the same way Carl Rackemann used to toil uphill into the breeze for 50 overs straight. He came to the bench for a breather and was walking past, I stood up and yelled out well done Chooka you have a heart the size of Phar Lap. The entire crowd around me started applauding him. Right in front of me he grew about 3 feet taller. He gave me a knowing wink and kept walking.

Great story! He definitely worked hard in his 18 games - he played 14 of those in 2002 when we were at our lowest (the first time) and was almost breaking through as a permanent fixture up forward and in back up ruck.

QUestion: WHat was the name of his brother who tried out in our reserves?

ps Answer to the previous question was in the last 5 years. Anyone remember the co-captains?

Great story! He definitely worked hard in his 18 games - he played 14 of those in 2002 when we were at our lowest (the first time) and was almost breaking through as a permanent fixture up forward and in back up ruck.

QUestion: WHat was the name of his brother who tried out in our reserves?

ps Answer to the previous question was in the last 5 years. Anyone remember the co-captains?
Was it during an Indigenous round?

When Malthouse got sacked??

Half leadership group was injured.

Dunno who.

Yes, tough one I know. But we like obscure stuff.

Rowe / Jamison co-captained against the Swans.

Cripps / Docherty has a bit of a different ring to it......

Q. Fasolo is from East Freo originally. Which other Blue comes from that WAFL club?

FtB

Q. Fasolo is from East Freo originally. Which other Blue comes from that WAFL club?

FtB
Cripps?

FtB
i thought i read on blueseum it was henderson and rowe? I can understand if we are wiping out hendo from history :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back