Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I’ve looked it up. I get the idea but I don’t think I have ever routinely had that. Just as well because it sounds pretty disturbing.

I have lifelong issues with insomnia - I’ll be good for a month or so then sleepless again, even though utterly exhausted. Im trying a kind of exercise program to solve it but it has to be kept up religiously so it’s been hard work

What is it exactly? Never mind - I’ll google

You're awake but your dreaming, stuck in limbo between the dream world and real world and can't move your limbs. It's pretty scary at first. Kind of gets easier as you become aware of what you're having but there are sometimes when I get it that I really do struggle with.

For me I find it like it real does feel like something is there holding me down, and not that I can't move so much. Feel something holding me by the wrists and ankles most times.

It's tough to explain to anyone who hasn't had it I guess.

For me I find it like it real does feel like something is there holding me down, and not that I can't move so much. Feel something holding me by the wrists and ankles most times.
What happens then? Do you sort of snap out of it feeling relieved or something but freaked out? It’s a pretty bizarre kind of thing - like being trapped in one of those dreams where you can’t scream or similar

What happens then? Do you sort of snap out of it feeling relieved or something but freaked out? It’s a pretty bizarre kind of thing - like being trapped in one of those dreams where you can’t scream or similar

Like I said, for me I find best way to wake myself snap out of it is to say "* off" loudly coz I'm convinced something is there holding me down every time.

The first few times I had it I never said anything and it would take me a while to snap out of it at which point I was totally freaked out. Lying there for a good 5 or 10 minutes unable to move. Now that I realise I may not be able to move but can still talk I can snap myself out of it within 10 to 15 seconds.

Last edited:
The longer you're in it the more you will hallucinate and the more likely you are to see bad/scary things.
I dunno. My hazy internet research suggests that if you don’t want to just put up with it, you probably need to look at some of the same stuff as me re insomnia - regular sleep, no sleeping in daytime even if you feel like it, cut back stimulants in evening (less coffee after noon, fewer cigarettes at night, less sugar at night - even switch to big meal at lunchtime or something?). Sounds like the pits though. I hope you get it under control

I dunno. My hazy internet research suggests that if you don’t want to just put up with it, you probably need to look at some of the same stuff as me re insomnia - regular sleep, no sleeping in daytime even if you feel like it, cut back stimulants in evening (less coffee after noon, fewer cigarettes at night, less sugar at night - even switch to big meal at lunchtime or something?). Sounds like the pits though. I hope you get it under control

When you work nights every second fortnight it makes it hard. Probably why it's come back stronger than ever recently for me.

When you work nights every second fortnight it makes it hard. Probably why it's come back stronger than ever recently for me.
Yeah shift work is the pits. My sister is a nurse and eventually had to give up the shifts, even though it was more financially rewarding and she enjoyed it because the work was more dynamic and interesting

that sounds ****ed up man

but yeah I sleep prob 3 hours a night wake up bulk cant sleep * all but im all G

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have had intermittent episodes of it. First time I had it was in uni. Thought there were demons all around my bed. Really terrifying few minutes until I realised what was up.
Hasn't happened for a while but a really weird and sometimes very scary sensation.

Awesome to hear someone else has had it, coz I was starting to doubt the 1 out of every 10 people bit.

Yes, I get exactly the same type of things with me. It's always evil spirits or demons 99% of the time if i don't snap myself out of it quickly.

One of the first times I had it was one of the most scary tho, I was in it for a good 10 to 15 minutes and i saw a dark shadow over me with a gun barrel pointed to my head. Scared the living * out of me. Ended up searching the house for a good half hour after that occasion, that was the most scared I've been after having an episode coz the feeling of helplessness thinking whoever it was was going to kill my Mrs and kids.

Last edited:
That time was unlike the rest, didn't have the feeling of being held down, just the feeling over being paralyzed completely and unable to even talk. Easily the most scared I've been after it happening. Took a while to shake that one coz it felt so real.

It's really weird with me, sometimes when i have it I struggle to get back to sleep, I'm almost convinced there are spirits in my bedroom holding me down, other times I wake myself out of it by yelling "fu** off" to the things in my mind that i believe are holding me down before it gets too intense.

They say 1 out of 10 people get...wondering what other people experience is with it. Any thoughts or ideas in how to make it go away if you've had it?
Exactly the same for me, it’s terrifying. Only found out what it was about 10 years ago.

It feels like a presence in the room and an invisible pressure weighing down on you So you can’t move or speak. I’m totally aware of my surroundings but in a dream state at the same time. It’s the body trying to deal with the mind being awake but the body still asleep.

Have you tried melatonin to help get to sleep? I‘m sure you’ve tried most everything if this is a long time issue.

It feels like a presence in the room and an invisible pressure weighing down on you So you can’t move or speak. I’m totally aware of my surroundings but in a dream state at the same time. It’s the body trying to deal with the mind being awake but the body still asleep.
I have times when I feel myself shaking, like im trying to move, but can't break whatever it is holding me down.

Have you tried melatonin to help get to sleep? I‘m sure you’ve tried most everything if this is a long time issue.
Yeah I reckon it’s helpful. In combination with the other things that help your circadian rhythm like not sleeping days or drinking coffee at night. I’ve met people that reckon it’s useless but I figure since it’s a naturally occurring thingy it can’t do any harm

Random question, but does anyone else here get or have sleep paralysis? If so how do you find it/handle it?
Happened to me once when I was a teenager or in my early twenties. Felt like there was a spirit flying around the room trying to possess my body. I tried to move my arms to bang on the wall to get my Dad to help me but couldn't move. After resisting for a while I finally gave up & let it posses me that' s when I woke up/could move again.

Happened to me once when I was a teenager or in my early twenties. Felt like there was a spirit flying around the room trying to possess my body. I tried to move my arms to bang on the wall to get my Dad to help me but couldn't move. After resisting for a while I finally gave up & let it posses me that' s when I woke up/could move again.

Yea it's hella scary until you actually do some research into what it is and realise heaps of other people have experienced similar.

I've had times when I've heard a voice along with seeing s**t too, they are the most scary for me.

Yea it's hella scary until you actually do some research into what it is and realise heaps of other people have experienced similar.

I've had times when I've heard a voice along with seeing sh*t too, they are the most scary for me.
'The nightmare' by Henry Fuseli depicts it well, its on Wikipedia as one of the images. Just google imaged sleep paralysis, some creep pics on there.

I never see anything which to me makes it even worse for me as it just feels like pure evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back