Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If you have the qualification you have the qualification. Kids in school are indoctrinated into thinking university is everything and if you fu** up year 12 your life is f’ed, doesn't work that way at all.
Thanks heaps dude. Got some tough decisions to make and I appreciate your help.

But like surely when they see your resume they take it into account.
Apparently having McDonald's on your resume when going for graduate/entry level jobs is really good

Managsrs/employers like this as it shows you can work in a well run, fast paced supply chain

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you have the qualification you have the qualification. Kids in school are indoctrinated into thinking university is everything and if you fu** up year 12 your life is f’ed, doesn't work that way at all.
Yep, it's bullshit how much year 12 is jammed down your throat

Especially when it's the kids who aren't the highest academic achivers who end up the most successful in life

Depends on your profession but the best thing I've ever gotten out of uni was the jobs board where employers were advertising paid internship roles that got me doing the job I was studying for.

The best thing you can have on your resume is industry experience. Look at any avenue for that just be careful of scams.

I hear they can be pretty brutal on people who can't figure out gif avatars.
That s**t was a nightmare, no joke spent at least 45 minutes trying. Why are the buttons on these goddamn devices so small?

You seem like a smart, mature, likable kid frosty. I have a strong feeling things are going to work out just fine for you.
thank you ♥

Hey ImissFrosty
I spent most of year 12 at LAN Parties and most of undergraduate getting drunk.
Got beaten around for it when I couldn’t get into my career but that’s because I flunked half my degree.
Went back, did my masters at 27 and now in my dream career.

The lesson here is it all comes together. I flunked year 11 Methods, so I did Further. Do better than me at uni (it does help) but the best things you can do are interview prep and CV writing. You’ll get there - plenty of time.

Yeah seconding what everyone says above: the uni you go to doesn't mean s**t when going for a job. Provided your grades are solid they're not too fussed where they come from. The reputation stuff is marketing guff from the Go8. Work experience, relevant extra curriculars are all great and can make up for (to an extent) meh grades, or at least did for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah seconding what everyone says above: the uni you go to doesn't mean sh*t when going for a job. Provided your grades are solid they're not too fussed where they come from. The reputation stuff is marketing guff from the Go8. Work experience, relevant extra curriculars are all great and can make up for (to an extent) meh grades, or at least did for me.
Yep. Got my break from doing an internship in my masters. Now I’m in a related but different field and my quals actually don’t matter at all

Hey dudes/dudettes. Been asking around for some help with future pathways n stuff.
How much more likely are employers to employ those who went to Melbourne/monash compared to La Trobe/Deakin/RMIT/Swinburne. Is it a sort of deal where a decent student at Monash = A grade student at La Trobe or something like that.
Asking because i'm flunking Maths Methods hard in school and if i drop it then that shuts down a lot of business/commerce degrees at Melbourne/Monash but not at the others and i'm trying to keep my options super wide open. Thanks.
Hey Frosty, I'm going to go against the grain of things here a bit. I'm in research, which means you're in for close to ten years of uni to even get a look in for any job in the sciences. So for my career, the advice here isn't quite right (but also not 100% wrong)

I agree with the overall sentiment, especially that year 12 is over rated (probably by schools as it's affects their ratings). However, it's easy to knock it once you're in a job you like, and you can see all the other ways to get there. As a year 12, it's not so obvious when you've been told marks are the only or best way.

My advice is that you really need to crystallize what it is you want to do. If you have great marks, you can be indecisive for longer, as more doors remain open. If your marks aren't great, you need to know where you want to be, then take the alternative roads there.

If its commerce/finance you want to do, I doubt it matters where - keep in mind those degrees are often massively represented by international students. When I look at cvs for entry level jobs, I look less at people's marks at uni, and more at the work experience and opportunities they've chased down during their breaks. It tends to show they are serious and come in with somewhat of a clue. DM me if you've got any questions.

TL:DR - There is a way to do whatever you want to do, but you need to be certain on what that is.

Or as the Ancient Greeks put it:

No wind is favourable if you don't know to what port you sail

Hey dudes/dudettes. Been asking around for some help with future pathways n stuff.
How much more likely are employers to employ those who went to Melbourne/monash compared to La Trobe/Deakin/RMIT/Swinburne. Is it a sort of deal where a decent student at Monash = A grade student at La Trobe or something like that.
Asking because i'm flunking Maths Methods hard in school and if i drop it then that shuts down a lot of business/commerce degrees at Melbourne/Monash but not at the others and i'm trying to keep my options super wide open. Thanks.
Depends a lot on the field you ultimately want to work in.

Worth noting that your scores from year twelve make a big difference in terms of direct entry straight from school, but less so if you seek mature entry. So a switch down the track is very possible, where other factors such as relevant professional experience etc are given consideration.

What I mean to say really is that way too much pressure is placed on people in final year of school - that what you do right now will impact you for the rest of your life. It’s simply not true, and shouldn‘t lead to the kind of stress some people feel

Hey Frosty, I'm going to go against the grain of things here a bit. I'm in research, which means you're in for close to ten years of uni to even get a look in for any job in the sciences. So for my career, the advice here isn't quite right (but also not 100% wrong)

I agree with the overall sentiment, especially that year 12 is over rated (probably by schools as it's affects their ratings). However, it's easy to knock it once you're in a job you like, and you can see all the other ways to get there. As a year 12, it's not so obvious when you've been told marks are the only or best way.

My advice is that you really need to crystallize what it is you want to do. If you have great marks, you can be indecisive for longer, as more doors remain open. If your marks aren't great, you need to know where you want to be, then take the alternative roads there.

If its commerce/finance you want to do, I doubt it matters where - keep in mind those degrees are often massively represented by international students. When I look at cvs for entry level jobs, I look less at people's marks at uni, and more at the work experience and opportunities they've chased down during their breaks. It tends to show they are serious and come in with somewhat of a clue. DM me if you've got any questions.

TL:DR - There is a way to do whatever you want to do, but you need to be certain on what that is.

Or as the Ancient Greeks put it:

No wind is favourable if you don't know to what port you sail
This is good balance and I'd like to add to it.

There are some jobs/careers where it does matter where you did your degree. High-end consulting, research, a few others. Getting good results from Melbourne or Monash will put you ahead of others vying for internships and grad positions, all other things being equal.

It all really comes down to what you want to do. Some of the universities that are easier to get in to are quite good for particular courses (Eng at RMIT, Nursing/Health courses at Deakin etc). Sometimes you're better off getting into a "lesser-standard" university if that's what your grades allow for a course you really want to do. Eg, you don't have to do Medicine at Melbourne to be a good doctor - you can start somewhere else and move as you progress through your studies.

Do you think PA should be wearing the , "Prison Strip" watched Footy classified. PA should 100 percent get the Prison bars.

It's irrelevant to Collingwood thier not even playing in the Showdown. I.know it's honouring the Port Magpies heritage

Eddie or collingwood dont have any say on this

After the way they targeted Max in the 2019 opener, they should definitely be behind bars. Good to hear something is finally getting done about it.

Do you think PA should be wearing the , "Prison Strip" watched Footy classified. PA should 100 percent get the Prison bars.

It's irrelevant to Collingwood thier not even playing in the Showdown. I.know it's honouring the Port Magpies heritage

Eddie or collingwood dont have any say on this
I don't see what the issue is really, it's twice a year in games that Collingwood aren't playing

Typical Eddie and Collingwood bullying tactics. And that dickhead wonders why everyone targets him when he slips up....

Hey ImissFrosty
I spent most of year 12 at LAN Parties and most of undergraduate getting drunk.
Got beaten around for it when I couldn’t get into my career but that’s because I flunked half my degree.
Went back, did my masters at 27 and now in my dream career.

The lesson here is it all comes together. I flunked year 11 Methods, so I did Further. Do better than me at uni (it does help) but the best things you can do are interview prep and CV writing. You’ll get there - plenty of time.
yes this 100%, similar to my journey too

I did engineering for two years out of high school and then dropped out. Tbf I should have probably dropped out at the end of the first year but partied away for another year

Decided I would wait 2-3 years before I went back to uni when I would have more dedication (or know what I want to do). Went back at 23 and did a finance/accounting degree. Then after I finished just worked at leisure centres cruising for about 18 months before I got into finance properly. About 10-11 years in and I have my CPA, have worked for some really big businesses and now at my late 30's I'm a finance manager and should probably be Financial controller in the next 24 months when my boss retires. One of the best jobs I got was down to the fact I went to uni late, the manager at the time loved someone who went back to uni in their 20's, said it showed a real dedication.

People especially teachers and parents (in some cases) put way too much emphasis on year 12. The problem is at 16-18 years old who really knows what the * you want to do for the rest of your life? and most people have 3-4 career changes anyway.

My only advise to kids/teenagers would be one of two things, don't waste your time with a bullshirt degree like Arts that doesn't qualify you for anything and leaves you with a $20k debt. And if you feel passionately about a certain field, do not let people talk you out of it. You don't realize until you are older how much time work takes of your life, so try to enjoy it or if not at least enjoy it making you a heap of cashikf you don't love the job

Out of curiosity what do you do LeverPuller? I assume from previous posts you do something connected with government?

yes this 100%, similar to my journey too

I did engineering for two years out of high school and then dropped out. Tbf I should have probably dropped out at the end of the first year but partied away for another year

Decided I would wait 2-3 years before I went back to uni when I would have more dedication (or know what I want to do). Went back at 23 and did a finance/accounting degree. Then after I finished just worked at leisure centres cruising for about 18 months before I got into finance properly. About 10-11 years in and I have my CPA, have worked for some really big businesses and now at my late 30's I'm a finance manager and should probably be Financial controller in the next 24 months when my boss retires. One of the best jobs I got was down to the fact I went to uni late, the manager at the time loved someone who went back to uni in their 20's, said it showed a real dedication.

People especially teachers and parents (in some cases) put way too much emphasis on year 12. The problem is at 16-18 years old who really knows what the fu** you want to do for the rest of your life? and most people have 3-4 career changes anyway.

My only advise to kids/teenagers would be one of two things, don't waste your time with a bullshirt degree like Arts that doesn't qualify you for anything and leaves you with a $20k debt. And if you feel passionately about a certain field, do not let people talk you out of it. You don't realize until you are older how much time work takes of your life, so try to enjoy it or if not at least enjoy it making you a heap of cashikf you don't love the job

Out of curiosity what do you do LeverPuller? I assume from previous posts you do something connected with government?

I do - probably shouldn’t say much more than that since I’m publicly identifiable.

On the Arts degree side as a holder of an Arts degree...it depends. If you have a generic degree with no real focus then absolutely agree, but if you target your subjects right and do the work you’re normally ok.

Last edited:
Also did an arts degree and think it can be really useful. Majored in history which is (kinda?) respectable and dabbled with some German and other bits and pieces for a couple of units. Even within history covered a lot of different topics. Helped reignite my passion for uni after floundering through economics for a couple of years before switching.

I think arts cops a bit of a bum rap. It can be useful as a passion course to keep you going and let you dabble a bit outside the box. If you put in the work as LP says and get the marks you'll still be employable from what I've seen from mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back