Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaahh, please don't. That'll be way too overpowering behind the designs.. If you're going to use it, be subtle.

Cheers for the advice Ando :thumbsu: much appreciated. Given the designs are based around the late 90's and early to mid 2000's, I'm thinking of collating some images from the era related to footy, transparent them slightly and add a gradient red-blue background underneath. Do you reckon the designs will stick out enough, or would you recommend a darker colour?

Wakai

Play me some of that $uicide Pimpin' man
Feb 28, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Cheers for the advice Ando :thumbsu: much appreciated. Given the designs are based around the late 90's and early to mid 2000's, I'm thinking of collating some images from the era related to footy, transparent them slightly and add a gradient red-blue background underneath. Do you reckon the designs will stick out enough, or would you recommend a darker colour?

Maybe do it, but make it very transparent with a white background. Like, veeery transparent

Maybe do it, but make it very transparent with a white background. Like, veeery transparent

Turn the pictures black and white, then transparent onto white? Or if they're black and white it may not even need transparency

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Again, be careful. Subtlety is key when you're doing backgrounds, and gradients can definitely distract when done badly. If you do find a picture of those 2000s designs, a white background with the designs at 10% opacity (and maybe even black and white) should do the trick :)

So why is my name purple? Good question. I've just become the Community Leader of the BigFooty Fantasy Cricket League.
The BFFCL is the cricket version of the SFA. Wait, don't leave yet! The BFFCL has a much smaller community and is a lot nicer and easy to keep up with. Right now we're starting the first season of the BFFCL T20 competition. If you're interested, sign up in here and you should get drafted to a team.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/bffcl-big-bash-sign-up-thread.1204934/
Hope to see some familiar faces there!

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
So why is my name purple? Good question. I've just become the Community Leader of the BigFooty Fantasy Cricket League.
The BFFCL is the cricket version of the SFA. Wait, don't leave yet! The BFFCL has a much smaller community and is a lot nicer and easy to keep up with. Right now we're starting the first season of the BFFCL T20 competition. If you're interested, sign up in here and you should get drafted to a team.
Hope to see some familiar faces there!
congrats, you're moving up in this world.

I hate to be a drainer, but we really need about 4 more people to join this in order for us to have the minimum number of required players.
Would really appreciate seeing some familiar faces. If you're into cricket and want to win some flags feel free to join. Applications close midnight tonight (Eastern time) so get in quick before the draft.
Cheers.

I hate to be a drainer, but we really need about 4 more people to join this in order for us to have the minimum number of required players.
Would really appreciate seeing some familiar faces. If you're into cricket and want to win some flags feel free to join. Applications close midnight tonight (Eastern time) so get in quick before the draft.
Cheers.

Do you happen to know when the draft and the season will be kicking off Fizzler?

Do you happen to know when the draft and the season will be kicking off Fizzler?
Not yet. That's still in the pipeline. The draft should be really soon (within the next week or so) but the season doesn't have an exact date just yet.

So do logo/manufacturer changes = grand final berths? Funnily enough the two teams that changed their logo this year are in the big dance.

Adelaide - new logo 2010, next GF 2017
Brisbane - new logo 2010, next GF TBC
Carlton - new logo 2015, next GF TBC
Collingwood - new logo 2018, next GF 2018
Essendon - new logo 1995, next GF 2000
Fremantle - new logo 2011, next GF 2013
Geelong - new logo 2008, next GF 2008
Gold Coast - new logo 2011, next GF TBC
GWS - new logo 2012, next GF TBC
Hawthorn - new logo 2008, next GF 2008
Melbourne - new logo 2016, next GF TBC
North Melbourne - new logo 2017, next GF TBC
Port Adelaide - new logo 2001, next GF 2004
Richmond - new logo 2012, next GF 2017
St Kilda - new logo 1995, next GF 2009
Sydney - new logo 1997, next GF 2005
West Coast - new logo 2018, next GF 2018
Western Bulldogs - new logo 2015, next GF 2016

Basing this on only the last logo change and only the teams that have played in a GF since their logo change, the average wait time is 3.82 years. St Kilda and Sydney are the obvious outliers, so using the median would give a better indication. That gives an answer of 1.5 years. So mathematically, yes, a logo change equals a Grand Final appearance relative quickly.

I've probably killed a lot of the conversation here, but it seems I've got a lot of time on my hands. Manufacturer changes may fall into line with logo changes, or they may be different. That's maths for another day

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Adelaide - new logo 2010, next GF 2017
Brisbane - new logo 2010, next GF TBC
Carlton - new logo 2015, next GF TBC
Collingwood - new logo 2018, next GF 2018
Essendon - new logo 1995, next GF 2000
Fremantle - new logo 2011, next GF 2013
Geelong - new logo 2008, next GF 2008
Gold Coast - new logo 2011, next GF TBC
GWS - new logo 2012, next GF TBC
Hawthorn - new logo 2008, next GF 2008
Melbourne - new logo 2016, next GF TBC
North Melbourne - new logo 2017, next GF TBC
Port Adelaide - new logo 2001, next GF 2004
Richmond - new logo 2012, next GF 2017
St Kilda - new logo 1995, next GF 2009
Sydney - new logo 1997, next GF 2005
West Coast - new logo 2018, next GF 2018
Western Bulldogs - new logo 2015, next GF 2016

Basing this on only the last logo change and only the teams that have played in a GF since their logo change, the average wait time is 3.82 years. St Kilda and Sydney are the obvious outliers, so using the median would give a better indication. That gives an answer of 1.5 years. So mathematically, yes, a logo change equals a Grand Final appearance relative quickly.

I've probably killed a lot of the conversation here, but it seems I've got a lot of time on my hands. Manufacturer changes may fall into line with logo changes, or they may be different. That's maths for another day

Nerd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rorydelight

Debutant
Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Expressions of interests for licences for Australian Football Super League are now open. Please let me know if you would like to apply for a licence. Australian Football Super League is a dice football league ran through a facebook page. The inaugural season will start in October however expression of interests are now open for a licence of a team in the league. 10 teams will be given a licence into the league for the 2018 season with future expansion likely in coming seasons. Any questions please let me know. The season structure will be play each other once then top 4 will play in a finals series. Entrants in Australia will be given priority however if there are strong bids from the PACIFIC, then they may be included.

If you would like to be a member of the AFSL Commission please contact me as I am seeking members to join the commission.

I've been thinking about my membership options for next year and I'm considering an AFL membership. Currently I'm a Geelong home and away member with a reserved seat at GMHBA, but I love going to the footy and I think an AFL membership would suit me. Does anyone have any info on how much a silver membership is, whether you have to pay for both a regular club and AFL membership and how long the waitlist is for gold membership? Cheers :thumbsu:

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Don't know where to share this but growing up and watching the grand final, my favourite thing about the whole presentation of the event was the logos on the 50. So iconic to me seeing the Port Adelaide and Geelong logos back in the 2007 GF, the first time i ever noticed them. Something about it just makes me happy inside.

Anyone know when they first started doing that?

Don't know where to share this but growing up and watching the grand final, my favourite thing about the whole presentation of the event was the logos on the 50. So iconic to me seeing the Port Adelaide and Geelong logos back in the 2007 GF, the first time i ever noticed them. Something about it just makes me happy inside.

Anyone know when they first started doing that?

crow28 compiled a huge resource of all Grand Final artwork a couple of years ago, which can be found here. Excellent resource and put together magnificently. To answer your question, however, team logos first started appearing on the 50m arc in 2003

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
crow28 compiled a huge resource of all Grand Final artwork a couple of years ago, which can be found here. Excellent resource and put together magnificently. To answer your question, however, team logos first started appearing on the 50m arc in 2003
1992 had the Hawks and Eagles logos on the ground, but yep, 2003 they started on the arc.

I wonder how they did with the gradients on that Brissy logo... :think:

1992 had the Hawks and Eagles logos on the ground, but yep, 2003 they started on the arc.

I wonder how they did with the gradients on that Brissy logo... :think:

It looks as though they used a solid blue background, rather than a half-maroon, half-blue gradient as seen on the official logo

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 2.27.23 pm.png

brisbane-lions-logo-old.jpg

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Brisbane logo was still done as a gradient, its just hard to tell because its so busy and both years were on the outer side of the ground. Image below is from the 2004 GF, there is clearly a maroon background at the top behind the blue Brisbane script, and a blue background at the bottom of the logo. The Lions text also has the reverse gradient. What I do need to change however is removing the AFL logo from the bottom and adding a gold stroke.

2018 is ready to go, just waiting to make sure the AFL haven't pulled a swifty and changed the positioning of the club logos or Toyota hasn't decided to change the outer wing logo from what it was for all of the other finals.

2004GF.png

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Brisbane logo was still done as a gradient, its just hard to tell because its so busy and both years were on the outer side of the ground. Image below is from the 2004 GF, there is clearly a maroon background at the top behind the blue Brisbane script, and a blue background at the bottom of the logo. The Lions text also has the reverse gradient. What I do need to change however is removing the AFL logo from the bottom and adding a gold stroke.

2018 is ready to go, just waiting to make sure the AFL haven't pulled a swifty and changed the positioning of the club logos or Toyota hasn't decided to change the outer wing logo from what it was for all of the other finals.

View attachment 563896
That's a nice grand final you got there

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
It looks as though they used a solid blue background, rather than a half-maroon, half-blue gradient as seen on the official logo

View attachment 563839
View attachment 563842

Interestingly, there actually was an alternate, flat version of the old Lions logo. I initially thought that was the one painted on the ground but closer inspection showed it wasn’t. This is the best example I can find.

897DA393-0546-4535-8468-69088D8B6631.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back